Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

On an H1-b but want to start a business...

On an H1-b but want to start a business...

Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

randomgiraffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On an H1-b but want to start a business...

Hi, I've been in the US (Charlotte NC) for a few months now on an H1-B visa. The visa allows me to work for a sponsoring company, as I am doing, but I do not believe I am permitted to be self-employed. As I understand it, I can own a business but am not allowed to run it or have any involvement in the running of it.

I am looking into a number of scenarios:

- continue working for my current employer (or another) but own and run a business in my free time
- continue working for my employer and also work for myself part-time
- become 100% self employed by starting a business

I'm sure I'll get some advice telling me to have a chat with an immigration attorney, which I will, but at $150 for a consultation it makes sense to exhaust the knowlege of the net and you generous folks first! Any thoughts much appreciated...

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: On an H1-b but want to start a business...

i believe that you cant do any of the 3 options you listed...you can only work for the H1B employer
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have many options while you are here on a H1B.

You work for your employer, or if you got a new job and that employer was willing to transfer the H1B, they could do that to allow you to work.

You can't work for your own company or randomly for anyone else.

So in simple terms, until you get a Greencard, options 1-3 are a no goer, unless you go all out for a E2 investment visa and you really should have a consultation with a immigration lawyer if you are considering that route.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgiraffe
Hi, I've been in the US (Charlotte NC) for a few months now on an H1-B visa. The visa allows me to work for a sponsoring company, as I am doing, but I do not believe I am permitted to be self-employed. As I understand it, I can own a business but am not allowed to run it or have any involvement in the running of it.
Correct.

I am looking into a number of scenarios:

- continue working for my current employer (or another) but own and run a business in my free time
- continue working for my employer and also work for myself part-time
- become 100% self employed by starting a business
Your first paragraph was correct, so you obviously know what you can and can't do. Then you list three options that can't be done.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which is a bit weird.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Correct.

Your first paragraph was correct, so you obviously know what you can and can't do. Then you list three options that can't be done.

Rene
May be the anticipation was that someone here would tell them of a loophole to get around what they all ready knew was impossible.

Sometimes unless it is drummed in hard, they still fail to understand
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

randomgiraffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
May be the anticipation was that someone here would tell them of a loophole to get around what they all ready knew was impossible.

Sometimes unless it is drummed in hard, they still fail to understand
Yes, they do seem to have missed the rather obvious point.

Well, you have confirmed my understanding and reinforced my thoughts as to how to make this happen. Explore 'Green Card through a Job'.

Thanks for the helpful responses, much appreciated.