British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   On an H1-b but want to start a business... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/h1-b-but-want-start-business-747869/)

randomgiraffe Feb 8th 2012 7:58 pm

On an H1-b but want to start a business...

Hi, I've been in the US (Charlotte NC) for a few months now on an H1-B visa. The visa allows me to work for a sponsoring company, as I am doing, but I do not believe I am permitted to be self-employed. As I understand it, I can own a business but am not allowed to run it or have any involvement in the running of it.

I am looking into a number of scenarios:

- continue working for my current employer (or another) but own and run a business in my free time
- continue working for my employer and also work for myself part-time
- become 100% self employed by starting a business

I'm sure I'll get some advice telling me to have a chat with an immigration attorney, which I will, but at $150 for a consultation it makes sense to exhaust the knowlege of the net and you generous folks first! Any thoughts much appreciated...

Thanks

paulpur Feb 8th 2012 8:03 pm

Re: On an H1-b but want to start a business...

i believe that you cant do any of the 3 options you listed...you can only work for the H1B employer

Bob Feb 8th 2012 8:16 pm

You don't have many options while you are here on a H1B.

You work for your employer, or if you got a new job and that employer was willing to transfer the H1B, they could do that to allow you to work.

You can't work for your own company or randomly for anyone else.

So in simple terms, until you get a Greencard, options 1-3 are a no goer, unless you go all out for a E2 investment visa and you really should have a consultation with a immigration lawyer if you are considering that route.

Noorah101 Feb 8th 2012 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by randomgiraffe (Post 9891514)
Hi, I've been in the US (Charlotte NC) for a few months now on an H1-B visa. The visa allows me to work for a sponsoring company, as I am doing, but I do not believe I am permitted to be self-employed. As I understand it, I can own a business but am not allowed to run it or have any involvement in the running of it.

Correct.

I am looking into a number of scenarios:

- continue working for my current employer (or another) but own and run a business in my free time
- continue working for my employer and also work for myself part-time
- become 100% self employed by starting a business
Your first paragraph was correct, so you obviously know what you can and can't do. Then you list three options that can't be done.

Rene

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 8th 2012 8:45 pm

Which is a bit weird.

DavidLemon Feb 8th 2012 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9891551)
Correct.

Your first paragraph was correct, so you obviously know what you can and can't do. Then you list three options that can't be done.

Rene

May be the anticipation was that someone here would tell them of a loophole to get around what they all ready knew was impossible.

Sometimes unless it is drummed in hard, they still fail to understand

randomgiraffe Feb 10th 2012 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 9891614)
May be the anticipation was that someone here would tell them of a loophole to get around what they all ready knew was impossible.

Sometimes unless it is drummed in hard, they still fail to understand

Yes, they do seem to have missed the rather obvious point.

Well, you have confirmed my understanding and reinforced my thoughts as to how to make this happen. Explore 'Green Card through a Job'.

Thanks for the helpful responses, much appreciated.