H-1B Visa help please.

Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H-1B Visa help please.

Originally Posted by Matt88
Yeah thats true! I would even take a salary hit the first year to cover the expenses!
We have had quite a few people on here who have been offered jobs by a US company, but then the offer has had to be rescinded as they had absolutely no idea that they would have to get the applicant a visa, and just how much it would cost them, plus the fact that even if they did get a visa then it would be some 6 months before they could actually start.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We have had quite a few people on here who have been offered jobs by a US company, but then the offer has had to be rescinded as they had absolutely no idea that they would have to get the applicant a visa, and just how much it would cost them, plus the fact that even if they did get a visa then it would be some 6 months before they could actually start.
I have a list of the biggest H-1B sponsors 2016, maybe it's best to just target these bigger companies.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My name is Matt (as the username suggests )

I'm currently looking at options to move to U.S. I believe i fit the H-1B requirements albeit by the skin of my teeth. Essentially i have 12 years professional experience but no degree.

Right - I work in I.T, and I’ve been on many U.S jobsites and found countless vacancies which i fit perfectly. I've started to apply for some, but I’m not getting much feedback yet.

I've Americanised my Resume / Covering letter which should definitely help my chances!

Could someone please advise on the best way to approach possible employers? I’ve mentioned in my covering letter that I would require a sponsorship, etc.

Also, what time of year is best to apply for positions? Obviously if a position is open now, it is unlikely to stay open until the next load of H-1B petitions go through?

And finally, I can’t find accurate information about when you can actually apply for next years (2018) H-1B visas. Am I too late?

I appreciate any constructive feedback.

Matt
What are your specialties?

TBH, unless you have some niche skill set that is rare and sought-after, you're not going to get far. If you've seen countless suitable vacancies then the likelihood is that your skill-set is very common, in which case, there will be plenty of applicants already in the US who don't need sponsorship.

Any potential employer needs to see you as a valuable, hard-to-find commodity to justify spending thousands on the visa process with only a 30% likelihood of success AND then have to wait a year or more for you to start.

Without the niche skills, your best bet is to take Noorah's advice and find a company with US offices.

Or marry a nice US girl.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chawkins99

TBH, unless you have some niche skill set that is rare and sought-after, you're not going to get far. If you've seen countless suitable vacancies then the likelihood is that your skill-set is very common, in which case, there will be plenty of applicants already in the US who don't need sponsorship.

Any potential employer needs to see you as a valuable, hard-to-find commodity to justify spending thousands on the visa process with only a 30% likelihood of success AND then have to wait a year or more for you to start.

Without the niche skills, your best bet is to take Noorah's advice and find a company with US offices.

Or marry a nice US girl.

Thanks for the input.

I do consider my skill-set relatively niche. I'm a DevOps / Cloud / Automation consultant. What i meant, i've seen probably 10 or so (In the whole of the US) which are asking for my skill-set exactly.

Some of the postings are months old, and yet the vancancy is still active on the employers website.

I've literally only applied for a few yesterday, so i haven't probably given it enough time.

That said, i do believe that i'm applying too soon. If a niche vacancy appears now, they will want it filled within the next 6 months or sooner, so i'm probably best to wait a little longer before searching? I think..

"Or marry a nice US girl" Do you think my GF will mind?
Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Or marry a nice US girl. ....
There's no need to take such a narrow view, these days you have double the opportunities.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input.

I do consider my skill-set relatively niche. I'm a DevOps / Cloud / Automation consultant. What i meant, i've seen probably 10 or so (In the whole of the US) which are asking for my skill-set exactly.

Some of the postings are months old, and yet the vancancy is still active on the employers website.

I've literally only applied for a few yesterday, so i haven't probably given it enough time.

That said, i do believe that i'm applying too soon. If a niche vacancy appears now, they will want it filled within the next 6 months or sooner, so i'm probably best to wait a little longer before searching? I think..

I came over in 2003 when the H1-B process was much quicker, less strict and less demand. I also had no degree but 15+ years' experience.

My niche skill was (and still is) Citrix, so I did weeks of research and direct-emailed 250+ Citrix partners across the US (stating that I would require H1-B sponsorship). I received exactly 5 replies. 2 were a flat 'No'. 1 was No with suggestions on what I needed to improve my chances and 2 maybes. 1 maybe was for a company in Michigan and had an interview in London. The other was in Florida and I flew to FL for an interview which was ultimately successful.

As an aside, while in Florida, I was contacted by the Michigan company about a follow-up interview. I advised the FL company and they made me an offer there and then. It was another 6 months before we moved over.

"Or marry a nice US girl" Do you think my GF will mind?
Tell her it's for your career. I'm sure she'll understand.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:18 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

You're in a strong market, we're taking on DevOps engineers by the bucket load right now.

What specific systems are you working with cloud wise? Azure, AWS? and what sort of Automation?
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack8602
You're in a strong market, we're taking on DevOps engineers by the bucket load right now.

What specific systems are you working with cloud wise? Azure, AWS? and what sort of Automation?
Thanks for the reply Jack!

Primarily Azure with some AWS exposure. I come from an infrastructure background with all the certs, etc. However, I’ve transitioned into DevOps role as that is my passion. I also have Office 365 experience 1000+ user migrations.

Automation wise: PowerShell DSC, Terraform (Infrastructure As Code.. love it!!), Azure automation (DSC and runbooks) exposure to the likes of Puppet for Config management.

I’ve used the likes of Azure scale sets, Availability set, load balancers, etc. Tons of Microsoft OS exposure, SQL clustering the list goes on..

Plus CI / CD tools Cruise control, Octopus Deploy, and source code control.

Please PM me for more.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

I came over in 2003 when the H1-B process was much quicker, less strict and less demand. I also had no degree but 15+ years' experience.

My niche skill was (and still is) Citrix, so I did weeks of research and direct-emailed 250+ Citrix partners across the US (stating that I would require H1-B sponsorship). I received exactly 5 replies. 2 were a flat 'No'. 1 was No with suggestions on what I needed to improve my chances and 2 maybes. 1 maybe was for a company in Michigan and had an interview in London. The other was in Florida and I flew to FL for an interview which was ultimately successful.

As an aside, while in Florida, I was contacted by the Michigan company about a follow-up interview. I advised the FL company and they made me an offer there and then. It was another 6 months before we moved over.
Wow, congrats, that is some perseverance! I really hope i don't need to apply for that many

Thanks for sharing your success story with me

Tell her it's for your career. I'm sure she'll understand.
Nope.. she is not having any of it!
Old Jun 9th 2017, 4:43 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Jack!

Primarily Azure with some AWS exposure. I come from an infrastructure background with all the certs, etc. However, I’ve transitioned into DevOps role as that is my passion. I also have Office 365 experience 1000+ user migrations.
I'd personally say keep persisting with the applications, that's a strong resume you've got, especially with all the certs to backup the experience, you might strike lucky with an employer who wants some background and is willing to pay for it.

I moved across on an L1B visa - I specialize in ConfigMgr.

As others have mentioned, you may benefit from getting into a big organization in the UK, stay there for the year and ask for an L1 transfer to one of their offices the US. (exactly what i did, and i was their first overseas hire on a L1)
Old Jun 9th 2017, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I'd personally say keep persisting with the applications, that's a strong resume you've got, especially with all the certs to backup the experience, you might strike lucky with an employer who wants some background and is willing to pay for it.

I moved across on an L1B visa - I specialize in ConfigMgr.

As others have mentioned, you may benefit from getting into a big organization in the UK, stay there for the year and ask for an L1 transfer to one of their offices the US. (exactly what i did, and i was their first overseas hire on a L1)
Thanks Jack. I will keep trying with regards applying for positions, whilst also looking for a US company in the UK.

Old Jun 9th 2017, 5:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jack. I will keep trying with regards applying for positions, whilst also looking for a US company in the UK. ....
If you can find a British owned business (assuming you're British - your nationality and your employer's home country is critical, other pairings would work too: German/ German company, French/ French company, etc, though not Chinese, Indian, Pakistan, Russia, Brazil, and some smaller countries), you would likely be eligible for an E-2 visa which isn't subject to the limited numbers of H-1Bs, and doesn't have the L-1 requirement that you have worked for the company for a year outside the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 9th 2017 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

OP. Get a job with a US company in the UK. Do well, make contacts and then get them to move you on an L1b.

I say this for several reasons:

1) The elapsed time may well be the same as the H1b route (June 2017-October 2018).

2) If you marry your GF she can work here on an L2 - but not on the H visa equivalent (H4). If you are not up for marrying then she probably can't come.

3) You get a year in the UK to work out if it's a good company, make US contacts, and possibly even travel over to get the lay of the land at their expense.

4) No 30% chance H1b lottery - imagine having the offer but only a 1/3 chance of going - boo! L1b is more certain if you fit the criteria and does not have a degree requirement.

5) Moving once in the UK (and having a good clear out in the process) will make it easier to move to the US.

Just my 2p's worth.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roberth1970
OP. Get a job with a US company in the UK. Do well, make contacts and then get them to move you on an L1b.

I say this for several reasons:

1) The elapsed time may well be the same as the H1b route (June 2017-October 2018).

2) If you marry your GF she can work here on an L2 - but not on the H visa equivalent (H4). If you are not up for marrying then she probably can't come.

3) You get a year in the UK to work out if it's a good company, make US contacts, and possibly even travel over to get the lay of the land at their expense.

4) No 30% chance H1b lottery - imagine having the offer but only a 1/3 chance of going - boo! L1b is more certain if you fit the criteria and does not have a degree requirement.

5) Moving once in the UK (and having a good clear out in the process) will make it easier to move to the US.

Just my 2p's worth.
Hi Rob, thanks for the advice! very informative

I have a lot of decisions to make then! I think i will continue with my pursual of a H-1B sponsor, whilst also looking for US company in the UK hopefully this will increase my odds!

Thanks all who have replied, i appreciate it.

Matt
Old Jun 9th 2017, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say best way in would be US company in the UK and transfer over. The reason being is there are a ton of people here doing what you do, have degrees (which is deemed as a basic requirement in the US) and with no requirement for a visa.

Wish you luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.