Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H-1b with company 1 and EAD with company 2?

H-1b with company 1 and EAD with company 2?

Old Oct 19th 2004, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

silanone will become famous soon enoughsilanone will become famous soon enough
Question H-1b with company 1 and EAD with company 2?

Hello all,

Here's my situation:
I submitted my AOS/EAD/AP package (from Boston) a couple of months ago and haven't received my EAD or AP yet. I am currently in H-1b status and quite happy with my employer (company 1). Recently, I was offered an opportunity to consult for a small, start-up (company 2).

My question is the following:

Can I use the EAD (when I eventually get it) to consult for company 2 and still use my H-1b for my full-time job with company 1?

Here's why I might want to do this - my understanding is that EADs obtained in conjuction with an AOS application are only good for a maximum of 255 or so days and that people have had trouble renewing them. I am also concerned that it may be more than 255 days before I am called for an interview. I want to be sure that I have a steady job through the period before I get CPR status, which is why keeping the H-1b status seems desirable. But the possibility of supplementing my income by consulting for company 2 is also an attractive possibility - I basically want to find out if I can get the best of both worlds, so to speak.

Any advice would be welcome.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

GoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant future
Default Re: H-1b with company 1 and EAD with company 2?

Once you have your EAD, your work is not limited just to company 1. You can work as many hours as you want and wherever you want. So you can work for both companies at the same time.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

alect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nice
Default Re: H-1b with company 1 and EAD with company 2?

While on H1B you cannot work for any other company (other than your H1B employer) for any amount of time.

An EAD should be valid for one year and has no restrictions as to whome you can work for. If you want to stay working for your current employer but also do side consulting work for another company EAD is the only way to go.