Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Guidelines for proving physical presence for 245(i)

Guidelines for proving physical presence for 245(i)

Old Feb 6th 2001, 5:40 pm
Andy Platt

This won't be of interest to all of you - apologies for those for whom it is
O/T.

A frequent question about the new LIFE act is how to prove physical presence in the US on
December 21st. The INS has published a memo detailing this, and some other questions:

http://www.shusterman.com/pdf/245i-101.pdf

The gist of it is - if you have a federal, state or local government issued ID that
demonstrates your physical presence (like what exactly?!) on that date, submit that.
Otherwise submit other documents (bank statements, etc). It goes on to say that for most
applicants it is best to submit multiple documents - it uses the example of something
showing a mortgage payment for December 2000 and another showing a mortgage payment in
January 2001. In other words, as we've guessed, they will look at a pattern rather than a
specific date.

Personally I wouldn't file such a petition without the aid of an attorney so let them sort
out what's best if this is your situation.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.