Greencard sponsorship requirments

Old Feb 10th 2002, 1:03 am
Peter

Hello,

I work for a large corporation on a H1B. They are willing to sponsor me, though I
have yet to see the terms. These may include them wanting me to stay 3 years after
the GC, and pay the attorney`s fees.

I have another opportunity with a small company. They are an F Corporation, with 2
employees. They want to sponsor me, the job would be as a partner. They would like to
pay me a modest salary and the rest in bonus, which would be generous, but
conditional on the buisness we generate. A risk and an opportunity.

Can a small company sponsor me for the GC, can they then pay a modest salary and
bonus.Can I be a partner? While the GC is processing, can I stay with may current
employer and then move. Or can I transfer my H1B to the new company while the GC is
being processed. Another option is to stay a year with my current employer, but start
the GC with the new company, then transfer the H1B at that point.

any input is appreciated,

Peter

Old Feb 10th 2002, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

MarkW is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with the bonus arrangement is that you can't show that you'll be paid a competitive wage.
Mark
Old Feb 10th 2002, 3:51 pm
Peter

Thank you for you help, I have some additional questions

[usenetquote2]> >I work for a large corporation on a H1B. They are willing to sponsor me, though I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >have yet to see the terms. These may include them wanting me to stay 3 years after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >the GC, and pay the attorney`s fees.[/usenetquote2]

What requirments are my current employers allowed to have for the GC, for example can
they make me stay for 3 years after the GC, even if I pay. Also they want me to pay
back in installments after the process, another way of keepng me. Obviously they are
offering me no job security, and have delayed the start of the process to a point
where it may be to late for me to stay on H1B.

Inccidently I have no choice over the attorney used, and they are expensive NYC
attorney`s, they estimate $10,000+.

> >While the GC is processing, can I stay with may current employer and
then move.
    >
    >
    >

So if a new employer sponsors me I have to work for them after GC process for 1-2
years. However if I am already working for that employer during the GC process on a
H1B, I dont have to stay as long. Is 6 months long enough, or do I have to stay 1-2
years regardless.

>
    >
    >

As much as the security would be nice, I doubt I could afford this luxery. As you
mention it may be unethical to one of the employers. Also would it jepordize the
applications.

thanks again,

Peter