Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green cards, visas, marriage and teaching

Wikiposts

Green cards, visas, marriage and teaching

Old Apr 25th 2001, 11:55 am
Tim Paton

I work for an Australian division of a big american company. They are interested,
in principle, in having me come and work in one of their research centres (in
Syracuse NY).

The company has a good employee transfer program, and has a standing policy of
sponsoring employees for a green card. If I wasn't getting married later this year,
I'd be on the plane pretty soon, and probably looking at working over there for, say,
2 years, then coming back home.

The sticking point is my partner, who is a secondary teacher (chemistry, physics and
general science). I'm not going if she can't come, and she's not coming if she's not
allowed to work...she has a career to build too, and playing stay-at-home wife in a
foreign country does nothing for this. She's more interested in coming home after a
year, which is fine with me.

We're looking now at January '02 to January '03; missing an entire Australian school
year, fitting in with two US school terms. Any sooner would just be too hard to
organise in time, and any later wouldn't be particularly attractive for my employer
who wants me there ASAP.

I've spent hours scouring the web for information on our options, with little
success. Can anyone on this group help me out with our options to get my wife in to
the country and working legally?

As a green card holding permanent resident, can I sponsor my wife for some kind of
green card or working visa? We have been in a de-facto marriage for 3 years, so the
shortness of our actual marriage shouldn't be an issue (from what I understand).

Is there some kind of migration or working visa program for school teachers? I know
that Australian science teachers almost get the red carpet treatment if they want to
work in England, because they can't find enough teachers to fill their schools. I
understand there's a shortage in the USA too. Is there an option there for us?

From what I've read, other than that, our best option would be to convince a school
to give her a firm job offer for a year, to get her a temporary working visa. That
could be a bit hard to do from the other side of the world, without an interview. We
also need to decide whether or not to go ahead with the whole thing some time before
we step onto the plane...that is, right about now. Which means we would need to find
her a school and get a job offer for the second half of the school year real soon.

There's also the issue of teacher registration, for which (if I understand the
website correctly) they want us to send the originals of her degrees and transcripts
for approval. All of our degrees are mounted, framed and on the wall, and will not be
sent to the other side of the world without a fight! Does anyone have any experience
with this kind of stuff?

Does anyone have any information or advice, or can tell us where we might find it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Paton [email protected]