Green Card then new Job

Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough
Default Green Card then new Job

Hi,

My employer is putting me through the Green Card process. Once this is completed do I have to stay working for them? Or can I leave at anytime once I have the card in my hand to find work elsewhere?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

tokyojo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Green Card then new Job

I believe you can work for anyone once you have the green card, as long as there is nothing in your contract that says otherwise.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcuz
Once this is completed do I have to stay working for them?
No, unless there is a clause in your work contract that says you must remain working for them for however long afterwards.

... can I leave at anytime once I have the card in my hand to find work elsewhere?
Yes.

Ian
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, unless there is a clause in your work contract that says you must remain working for them for however long afterwards.

Yes.

Ian
That's what I hoped!! Not planning on moving but wanted to understand my options! Thanks for the quick response!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I hoped!! Not planning on moving but wanted to understand my options! Thanks for the quick response!
A little bit of history -- there was an armed conflict in the United States from 1861 to 1865. Among other things, this resulted in enactment of the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution. The UK was involved, the issues arising therefrom being part of the Alabama Claims dispute.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:27 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My employer is putting me through the Green Card process. Once this is completed do I have to stay working for them? Or can I leave at anytime once I have the card in my hand to find work elsewhere?

Thanks!!
There is a lot of controversy over this issue - See Question 13 in the following for example.
http://www.murthy.com/485faq.html#13