Green card sponsorship for H-1B

Old Jun 13th 2018, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card sponsorship for H-1B

Originally Posted by jxv73
I don't think this 2 year rule has actually been litigated but I may be wrong on that point. If the I-485 is pending for six months, then you can switch jobs to a "similar" one, per AC21. I don't understand why having an approved 485 would extend this by 18 months.
Exactly, it doesn't make sense. I've never seen the 2 year rule and don't believe it's true. Typically as long as it's a similar occupation and location like Folinsky said, there's not an issue. No job is permanent and binding for 2 years, unless maybe a 2 year contract. It's an at will position. If you get laid off a week after you get your green card, what happens? The company will just say that at the time they started the green card process to the end, they intended to keep the employee. An employee can simply say the same.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You can not believe it all you want, as I recall it was some DOL guidance that they sent me years ago. It was along the lines of, permanent position for the purposes of the labour certification means at least 2 years, job title means one of the occupational codes in the dictionary of occupational titles and geographic area means within ordinary commuting distance, which was defined as something like 40 miles and there was reams of information on "prevailing wage", which you must be paid either at that or above. Change any of those and the labor certification is no longer valid, thus the basis for the I-140 approval is no longer valid.
The simple fact that you can change jobs after an I-140 has been pending for 6 months under AC21 should tell you that this is complete nonsense.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

So I have been searching for this DOL guidance. All I can find is that Schedule A, Group II used to include a definition having been gainfully employed for 2 years prior to submitting the labor certification. The definition of Schedule A, Group II has since been revised to only 1 year.

(For those not familiar, Schedule A is a way of skipping the PERM step with DOL and applying for labor certification directly with USCIS. It is mainly useful for nurses and physical therapists.who are under Group I. Group II is for aliens of exceptional ability, who are internationally recognized. But f you fall under the definition of Schedule A Group II you probably meet EB-1 or EB-2-NIW, hence Schedule A Group II is rarely used).

The BALCA decision defining what DOL considers to be permanent is called Matter o Albert Einstein Medical Center
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jxv73
So I have been searching for this DOL guidance. All I can find is that Schedule A, Group II used to include a definition having been gainfully employed for 2 years prior to submitting the labor certification. The definition of Schedule A, Group II has since been revised to only 1 year.

(For those not familiar, Schedule A is a way of skipping the PERM step with DOL and applying for labor certification directly with USCIS. It is mainly useful for nurses and physical therapists.who are under Group I. Group II is for aliens of exceptional ability, who are internationally recognized. But f you fall under the definition of Schedule A Group II you probably meet EB-1 or EB-2-NIW, hence Schedule A Group II is rarely used).

The BALCA decision defining what DOL considers to be permanent is called Matter o Albert Einstein Medical Center
Thanks for this!
Old Jun 14th 2018, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with all. There is literally nothing codified in immigration law about what you do the day following receiving LPR status. Up to receiving your LC-based GC, you must have the intent of taking the job you were sponsored (and you may be asked this at the interview, I was), OR if you did an AC-21 based Supp J, the intent of taking that job. But the key word is INTENT. You can intend to do something, and then change your mind. All legal, immigration wise. Nonetheless, I would still take the job and do it for a while, because who knows if these regulations might be tightened up (and then retroactively applied) in the future?

People have raised the possible issue of changing jobs quickly after receiving GC when it comes to the naturalization adjudication process, but I haven't seen anything online to support this.

Last edited by neill; Jun 14th 2018 at 4:54 am.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
you must have the intent of taking the job you were sponsored (and you may be asked this at the interview, I was),
Can you share your experience at the interview? EB-based interview waivers pretty much disappeared for those who applied after March 2017 (it used to be norm that the interview was waived, although a few were randomly selected before)

Originally Posted by neill
You can intend to do something, and then change your mind. All legal, immigration wise. Nonetheless, I would still take the job and do it for a while, because who knows if these regulations might be tightened up (and then retroactively applied) in the future?
There is a general presumption against retro-activity in the law. I do agree though - the way I see it, working at the job for a prudent period of time after receiving the green card is evidence that you did have that intent.