Wikiposts

Green Card renewal/Citizenship?

Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card renewal/Citizenship?

Yes, you have to send a front and back copy of your green card. It should not be a problem. If anything is said all she needs to do is make an infopass appointment and get an I-551 stamp in her passport. In fact they should have given her the stamp at the time of her visit to the Chicago office.

I don't recall that it is worded in the guide that you need a front and back copy of a valid green card just of your green card. If there is an issue, it will be addressed at the time of the interview and/or she will be asked to bring it to the interview at which time she can bring the I-551 stamp.

Originally Posted by Joe Feise
NCTarheel wrote on 12/15/06 07:32:

>
    > If I recall correctly, I had to send copies of the front and back of my
    > greencard with my N-400 application. I wonder if the USCIS might make an
    > issue of that with an expired card.

Technically, a person needs to have proof of legal status. A valid GC is such
proof (an expired one is not.)
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, you have to send a front and back copy of your green card. It should not be a problem. If anything is said all she needs to do is make an infopass appointment and get an I-551 stamp in her passport. In fact they should have given her the stamp at the time of her visit to the Chicago office.

I don't recall that it is worded in the guide that you need a front and back copy of a valid green card just of your green card. If there is an issue, it will be addressed at the time of the interview and/or she will be asked to bring it to the interview at which time she can bring the I-551 stamp.
Just out of interest...I don't think there will be a problem because the woman at the comm. center took a photocopy of my green card (both sides),but I was looking in my pass port and there is no I-551 stamp...the reason being that when I came over here my Brit. passport had expired ,but I was given special permission to be allowed into the US because I was being medivaced via the USAF,and going straight into hospital in Washington DC,where I was 'parked' for 6 months,my husband was running backwards and forwards from the air base he was stationed at in the UK,up to the US Embassy right up until virtually the moment the medivac plane started down the runway at Mildenhall/Lakenheath....it was one hell of a balls up...to put it mildly!...however I've never had a single problem status-wise since I've been over here....the Air Force were ANGELS as far as I'm concerned!....Sophia
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You won't have the stamp in your passport, Sophia, if it is a new passport since you were previously approved for AOS. However, you should have asked for the stamp at the time of your visit to the Chicago office. It would be your paper proof of your residency if any official should ask for current proof.

Go with what you have. At worse you will get an RFE (request for evidence). At best it will be accepted as it and the paper trail will have started.

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
Just out of interest...I don't think there will be a problem because the woman at the comm. center took a photocopy of my green card (both sides),but I was looking in my pass port and there is no I-551 stamp...the reason being that when I came over here my Brit. passport had expired ,but I was given special permission to be allowed into the US because I was being medivaced via the USAF,and going straight into hospital in Washington DC,where I was 'parked' for 6 months,my husband was running backwards and forwards from the air base he was stationed at in the UK,up to the US Embassy right up until virtually the moment the medivac plane started down the runway at Mildenhall/Lakenheath....it was one hell of a balls up...to put it mildly!...however I've never had a single problem status-wise since I've been over here....the Air Force were ANGELS as far as I'm concerned!....Sophia
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You won't have the stamp in your passport, Sophia, if it is a new passport since you were previously approved for AOS. However, you should have asked for the stamp at the time of your visit to the Chicago office. It would be your paper proof of your residency if any official should ask for current proof.

Go with what you have. At worse you will get an RFE (request for evidence). At best it will be accepted as it and the paper trail will have started.
OK, thank you for your help and advice,I really appreciate all the help and advice I get from the entire BE website!!....Sophia