green card questions

Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

sanova76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default green card questions

Hi,

I've several questions about green card.

I've been trying for dv lottery for 10 years now but no luck so far Is it still worth trying every year?

My mom is a US citizen, she is 70 years old, will she be able to sponsor me?
I'm 36. If yes, while she's applying for me, I won't be able to enter the dv lottery right?

Thanks in advance.

San
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: green card questions

You can have multiple streams of applications.

Obvious question is to make sure you aren't already a USC. How did your mother get citizenship?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanova76
I've been trying for dv lottery for 10 years now but no luck so far Is it still worth trying every year?
If you want to immigrate, then yes, it's worth applying every year.

My mom is a US citizen, she is 70 years old, will she be able to sponsor me?
How did your mom become a USC? If you were not able to become one based on her USC status, then yes, she can file an I-130 for you. It will be years before your visa number becomes available, but it's worth it to try. If your mother passes away before you get your immigrant visa, though, you will not be able to immigrate. Whether she can sponsor you financially is another consideration...if she doesn't earn enough income (from working or retirement) or have enough in assets (cash in the bank works best) by the time the I-864 is due, she can use a joint sponsor.

I'm 36. If yes, while she's applying for me, I won't be able to enter the dv lottery right?
Wrong. You can still enter the DV lottery every year, even if you have an immigrant visa petition in the system, or you are going through the immigrant visa process.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies

My mom became USC after she married my stepfather (a USC) 20 years ago. I think he applied green card for both of us ( I was a teenager then ) but I kind of abandoned it will it be a problem?

I'm married with one 3 year old son now. If she just sponsor me, it won't include my whole family ?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

I believe that if your parent becomes a USC before you turn 18, you automatically become one too.
Abandonment of a GC is a whole different issue, and perhaps you would need to consult an expert on that.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You abandoned what - the green card or the green card application?

If the application, I should go a step further to ask what kind of application, since there is no application for an initial green card. There is an application for an immigrant visa and an application to adjust status, both of which lead to Permanent Resident status and the issuance of the ID card we refer to as a green card. Which were you working on and at what point did you abandon the effort?

Regards, JEff

My mom became USC after she married my stepfather (a USC) 20 years ago. I think he applied green card for both of us ( I was a teenager then ) but I kind of abandoned it
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You abandoned what - the green card or the green card application?

If the application, I should go a step further to ask what kind of application, since there is no application for an initial green card. There is an application for an immigrant visa and an application to adjust status, both of which lead to Permanent Resident status and the issuance of the ID card we refer to as a green card. Which were you working on and at what point did you abandon the effort?

Regards, JEff

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I abandoned the green card application because I decided to get married. I think it's on the stage where I need to have a health check etc. As for the application type, I'm not sure. I need to check with my mom about that.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I abandoned the green card application because I decided to get married. I think it's on the stage where I need to have a health check etc. As for the application type, I'm not sure. I need to check with my mom about that.
Are you currently in the USA? If so, what's your status in the USA?

Are you currently outside the USA and wishing to immigrate?

So the "green card application" (which is actually an adjustment of status for those who are already inside the USA) is currently at the stage where you need a medical exam? That makes no sense, because the medical exam must be done before you apply for AOS, and the results need to be included in the AOS package. What you are describing sounds more like an Immigrant Visa application.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

So in answer to sir_eccles' question, since you never became a Permanent Resident you could not have become a US citizen when your mother did.

Regards, JEff

I abandoned the green card application because I decided to get married.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I should be more specific. I'm living in the UK at the moment. I'm just wondering the possibility for my mom to sponsor me while I'm also trying for the dv lottery every year.

As for my abandoned application, I guess my stepfather applied for both my mom and I at the time. But instead of living in USA, I decided to get married and stays in the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:36 pm

I'm living in the UK at the moment. I'm just wondering the possibility for my mom to sponsor me while I'm also trying for the dv lottery every year.

As for my abandoned application, I guess my stepfather applied for both my mom and I at the time. But instead of living in USA, I decided to get married and stays in the UK.
Thank you for clarifying that. That must have been a long time ago..you're 36 now! And I'm guessing if your step-father applied for you both at the same time, it was not an AOS (green card) process, but rather either a fiance visa or Immigrant Visa process.

Yes, it's fine if your mother files an I-130....you can still apply for the DV lottery each year.