green card question

Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

robert76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default green card question

i won a card in the diversity lottery and received it in august of this year. however i started a business before i knew i had been accepted and its doing very well. can i have a business at home and live in the us. it would require about 5-6 months work at home each year. anyone else had a similiar position. any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

robert
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: green card question

i won a card in the diversity lottery and received it in august of this year. however i started a business before i knew i had been accepted and its doing very well. can i have a business at home and live in the us.
Yes

it would require about 5-6 months work at home each year.
That would be tricky, best left until you have Citizenship, you have to maintain the US as your Permanent Residency.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robert76
i won a card in the diversity lottery and received it in august of this year. however i started a business before i knew i had been accepted and its doing very well. can i have a business at home and live in the us. it would require about 5-6 months work at home each year. anyone else had a similiar position. any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

robert
Hi:

By "home" I think you mean your original country. Once you have a green card, you have to consider the US "home."

Your question is one that simple on its face, but fiendishly complicated. I recommend that you contact an immigration lawyer well versed in "abandonment" law. It is a minor sub-specialty of immigration law.

If that lawyer tells you "Oh, you only have to come to the US once a year" then you MUST get a second opinion. The quoted premise is a MYTH that refuses to die. "Abandonment" is quite fact specific; there is no one pattern or "magic bullet" in that area. An attorney with knowledge in the field will know of the two mother cases of "Kane" and "Huang." See
http://www.lexisnexis.com/practicear...dfs/web358.pdf

To show you how specialized this is, I was retained earlier this year on an abandonment case which I considered to be a tough one. Once I read the sworn statement from the airport and RE-read Kane and Huang -- we had a stipulation to termination -- the ICE attorney agreed that the CBP was wrong in starting removal proceedings.

Good luck.

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon

"Where is Rpt where is task force 34 RR The whole world wonders." Chester Nimitz
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
That would be tricky, best left until you have Citizenship, you have to maintain the US as your Permanent Residency.
Hi:

Sigh.

"Where is rpt where is task force 34? RR The whole world wonders" Chester Nimitz
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the replies

having done a good bit or reading on this site and others online its seems possible i think. this is my plan and id welcome plenty of criticism etc

rent a house in orlando
get driving license health insurance bank accounts buy car etc
obtain realtors license and sell property to brits and irish(doesnt matter if it works or not but it is a reason for the travel to the uk and ireland)
file all my income in the US
join rugby club if there is one is orlando?
spend 8 months a year in florida and travel home to uk and ireland for work for 2 months in the autumn and 2 more in the spring

so what do ye think?

i have until feb to go to usa unless i can get extension so the way i figure its the best chance of keeping card whhile keeping my biz interest here going too
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

so what do ye think?
I think as long as you LIVE in the USA, and only VISIT elsewhere, you shouldn't have problems.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the replies

having done a good bit or reading on this site and others online its seems possible i think. this is my plan and id welcome plenty of criticism etc

rent a house in orlando
get driving license health insurance bank accounts buy car etc
obtain realtors license and sell property to brits and irish(doesnt matter if it works or not but it is a reason for the travel to the uk and ireland)
file all my income in the US
join rugby club if there is one is orlando?
spend 8 months a year in florida and travel home to uk and ireland for work for 2 months in the autumn and 2 more in the spring

so what do ye think?

i have until feb to go to usa unless i can get extension so the way i figure its the best chance of keeping card whhile keeping my biz interest here going too
There's about 180k realtors in Florida ....
the tourist house buying boom died a year ago ...
Lots of realty offices closing down ..
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you meant "travel to the UK and Ireland...." not "travel home to the UK and Ireland....". Once you have PR status, the USA will be your home, not the UK and Ireland.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
There's about 180k realtors in Florida ....
the tourist house buying boom died a year ago ...
Lots of realty offices closing down ..
hi ray

dont need to make money at it just need to have a valid reason to travel to the uk and ireland should i be asked by immigration
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:13 pm

hi ray

dont need to make money at it just need to have a valid reason to travel to the uk and ireland should i be asked by immigration
I don't get the connection. It's perfectly OK to work in another country while you're a PR in the USA. Why do you need to set up something bogus in the USA to accomplish this? The reason you would give, is that you have a business in the UK which you are attending to.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't get the connection. It's perfectly OK to work in another country while you're a PR in the USA. Why do you need to set up something bogus in the USA to accomplish this? The reason you would give, is that you have a business in the UK which you are attending to.

Rene
I revise the above to say not "perfectly OK", there could be consequences from being away from the USA. It is not illegal to have a business in another country. Consult with an immigration attorney about your plan, he would know better than we would whether you'd be putting your PR status at risk by traveling back and forth like that so often. But I wouldn't think you have to have a bogus business here in the USA in order to go see if your UK business is holding up for a month or so.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

...this is my plan ........get ...health insurance..........
How...

Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
How...

everything is possbile if you wish hard enough
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

everything is possbile if you wish hard enough

Are you saying the 46 million uninsured just do not wish hard enough...
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira

Are you saying the 46 million uninsured just do not wish hard enough...
apologies i thought you meant my overall plan

why is there a problem getting health insurance in the US?

quotes im getting online dont seem to bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.