Wikiposts

Green Card in LA

Old May 4th 2004, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

snake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card in LA

My wife received a notice that her petition to remove conditions has been approved. It says she has to go to the INS office downtown with photos to apply for her permanent green card.

Can anyone be more specific about the process (any forms, fees required??). Specific knowledge about the LA INS would be helpful.

Thx.
Old May 4th 2004, 8:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card in LA

Originally posted by snake
My wife received a notice that her petition to remove conditions has been approved. It says she has to go to the INS office downtown with photos to apply for her permanent green card.

Can anyone be more specific about the process (any forms, fees required??). Specific knowledge about the LA INS would be helpful.

Thx.
There are several posts with the same question the few days/weeks. To recap, there is no fee and no forms, per se. What she will complete is an I-89, the very same card that she completed at the time of the AOS interview for the CPR green card. It is a matter of placing her signature and single digit print on the card, showing your photo identification (my husband was asked for his passport and believe it or not, his birth certificate) and turning in your old green card. They will stamp her passport with an I-551 as they did after the AOS interview and you go home and wait for the green card to arrive in the mail.

BTW my husband did not have his birth certificate with him but he did have his Canadian walletsize bc and his Canadian military card and that was acceptable along with my signature on a paper attesting to his identity and birth date/place and the names of his parents. Go figure since I wasn't there at the time of his birth.

Rete
Old May 4th 2004, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

snake is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Does anyone from LA know how ealry you have to get to the INS building. Does it require waiting in that nasty line at 4AM?
Old May 4th 2004, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Does anyone from LA know how ealry you have to get to the INS building. Does it require waiting in that nasty line at 4AM?
Hi:

What nasty line at 4 am?

There are now two ways of doing it. You can go to Room 2050 as per the approval notice. However, this is NOT recommened these days by the local CIS. You will have to wait in the line to the right of the entrance to clear building security and then you can go to room 2050. However, CSC has "woken up" and approvals are pouring out -- and the "walk-in" procedure is being inundated by all these approvals.

LOS-CIS is now seeking to change the NOA 751 approvals to reflect the following which is in effect NOW.

Make an INFOPASS appointment on line.

Show up 15 minutes before the appointed time. Room 1001 now has the capacity and ability to stamp the passport and do the I-89. If the computer gods are smiling, the stated goal is to get you out of there within one hour of your appointment time.
Old May 4th 2004, 9:27 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

snake,

There is no such thing as a "permanent green card".

The card will expire and it will have to be replaced.

Regards, JEff

Thx.
Old May 4th 2004, 10:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
snake,

There is no such thing as a "permanent green card".

The card will expire and it will have to be replaced.

Regards, JEff

Your status will remain permanent unless you do something to have them rescind it or you abandon it. However the card itself will only be good for ten (10) years. You apply for a new one via form I-90 during the timeframe USCIS tells you on their website when it is close to expiration.

Rete