Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card interview - how do relatives visa status effect green card issuance?

Wikiposts

Green card interview - how do relatives visa status effect green card issuance?

Old Aug 19th 2002, 7:26 am
Randy

Default Green card interview - how do relatives visa status effect green card issuance?

hi all,

what a great newsgroup. Full of invaluable information and experiences.

My wife, who is from Thailand, and I (US citizen) married in early march '02, filed
for her greencard end of that month and unbelieveable we have an interview this week.
6 months from filing to 1st interview
    :-)

We've got the usual pictures, bank stmts, etc put together all ready for the
interview. Then it occured to me that her mom, who is currently out-of-status and
living in the US, is in the wedding fotos. She was out of status when we got married.

my questions are: -- what should we say at the interview if they ask about her mom?
-- will her mom's illegal status effect our getting a green card? -- when they find
out her mom is out of status, will she be investigated? -- should we bring fotos with
mom in it? Almost all our wedding fotos of her family have her mom in it so I think
it'd look kinda odd with just my family fotos of the wedding.

thanks very much in advance for any help and suggestions :-)

Old Aug 19th 2002, 8:26 am
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Default Re: Green card interview - how do relatives visa status effect green card issuance?

Randy,

I'm not sure if you have been reading the latest interview experiences,
but lately, not many INS officers have been very interested in seeing pictures at all!
They are interested in seeing the official documents in both names,
and will take copies of anything you can provide.

My hubby and I just had our interview,
and almost forgot to offer her to take a look at the albums! *S*
Read: http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...threadid=93049
Old Aug 19th 2002, 5:25 pm
Randy

Default Re: Green card interview - how do relatives visa status effect green card issuance?

Petra <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Randy,
    > I'm not sure if you have been reading the latest interview experiences, but lately,
    > not many INS officers have been very interested in seeing pictures at all! They are
    > interested in seeing the official documents in both names, and will take copies of
    > anything you can provide.

hi Petra, Thanks for the link. My wife and I were just up there reading your
experience. I used to keep up with this newsgroup but had gotten behind for awhile.

We have a collection of pictures and the supporting documentation; bank stmts,
marriage certif, insurance stmts, etc. And we know each other well enough to answer
the usual questions.

thanks again for sharing your experience!

Old Aug 20th 2002, 11:44 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Green card interview - how do relatives visa status effect green

If they ask about her mother or other relavtives, then she tells them the truth. If
you want to avoid questions about people in photos, don't show them the photos.

Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:14 am
Randy

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > If they ask about her mother or other relavtives, then she tells them the truth. If
    > you want to avoid questions about people in photos, don't show them the photos.

we had thought about that and are searching for fotos that don't have her mom in it.
My wife wanted to tell them her mom isn't here but everyone and most of our pictures
show she is. It made me a bit uncomfortable and I thought it would makes things
more complicated in the future if her mom ever decided to apply for green card
status here.

thanks for the advice :-)