Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card holder, how soon can I apply for citizenship?

Green card holder, how soon can I apply for citizenship?

Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Americanwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card holder, how soon can I apply for citizenship?

Hi guys!
I received my green card last summer.
I've been living in the US since September 2004.
How soon should I start working on my citizen application?
Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card holder, how soon can I apply for citizenship?

Originally Posted by Americanwife
Hi guys!
Thanks
check the requirements for the N-400 at the USCIS site - it'll be either 3 years or 5 years, depending on how you got your GC.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys!
Thanks
Are you still married to a USC?

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you still married to a USC?

Rene
Yes, I am still married to the US citizen.
We've been married for 4 years, I live in the US for 3 years and became a permanent resident in 2006.
So from what I understood I have to wait 2 more years before I apply for a citizenship?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am still married to the US citizen.
We've been married for 4 years, I live in the US for 3 years and became a permanent resident in 2006.
So from what I understood I have to wait 2 more years before I apply for a citizenship?
You can apply for citizenship beginning from the 90-day window prior to your 3rd anniversary of becoming a PR, which would be 2009.

If your current green card is a conditional 2-year card, don't forget to file for removal of conditions during the 90-window before it expires.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can apply for citizenship beginning from the 90-day window prior to your 3rd anniversary of becoming a PR, which would be 2009.

If your current green card is a conditional 2-year card, don't forget to file for removal of conditions during the 90-window before it expires.

Rene
It is permanent (good for 10 years)
thanks a lot
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:38 pm

It is permanent (good for 10 years)
thanks a lot
OK, no worries then.

Go to www.uscis.gov and find the "Guide to Naturalization". Download that and read up on some of the other requirements as well.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
check the requirements for the N-400 at the USCIS site - it'll be either 3 years or 5 years, depending on how you got your GC.

Not true.

If she received her Green Card from another type of eligiblity and say 2 weeks or 2 months later married a USC, she would be eligible for naturalization based on the 3 yr rule for marriage to a USC.

For example, PR approved 9/11/00; married USC 12/30/00

Eligibility for naturalization would be 12/30/03. Three years from the date of the marriage. NOTE: In this case the marriage must be a full 3 years; there is no 90 day leeway.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The marriage exception is detailed here:
Naturalization: Waivers, Exceptions, and Special Cases

Family Members of U.S. Citizens
Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;
the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and
the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

There are also exceptions for lawful permanent residents married to U.S. citizens stationed or employed abroad. Some lawful permanent residents may not have to comply with the residence or physical presence requirements when the U.S. citizen spouse is employed by one of the following:
(see link)