Green Card holder and divorce

Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:58 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Green Card holder and divorce

Quick question...thats been asked a few times..about to file for divorce from the wife who is the USC (cheating USC I may add). Married for 7 years .....green card runs till 2017 ....any idea's if the divorce will affect renewing the green card or my becoming a USC as I plan to stay here

Many thanks for any info
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card holder and divorce

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Quick question...thats been asked a few times..about to file for divorce from the wife who is the USC (cheating USC I may add). Married for 7 years .....green card runs till 2017 ....any idea's if the divorce will affect renewing the green card or my becoming a USC as I plan to stay here

Many thanks for any info
As long as you have your 10-year green card in your possession, a divorce will not affect your ability to renew your green card or file the N-400 towards citizenship. You have to just wait until you've been a PR for 5 years before filing the N-400 (as opposed to 3 years if you were still married to a USC).

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:02 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply ...sorry i posted in the wrong place
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:03 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power

Many thanks for any info
How long have you been in the states?

I'm sure I will be corrected, but assuming the "conditions" (i.e-marriage) have been removed, you are a permanent resident now. It no longer has anything to do with yoru marriage..

And if it runs out in 2017, even if you arrived yesterday, you will have met the 5 year residency requirement before it expires and can become a USC.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

SDD,

This is 2010. If the green card does not expire for another 7 years no assumptions are necessary.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by SDDep
How long have you been in the states?

I'm sure I will be corrected, but assuming the "conditions" (i.e-marriage) have been removed, you are a permanent resident now. It no longer has anything to do with yoru marriage..

And if it runs out in 2017, even if you arrived yesterday, you will have met the 5 year residency requirement before it expires and can become a USC.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:51 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
SDD,

This is 2010. If the green card does not expire for another 7 years no assumptions are necessary.

Regards, JEff
Is it 2010? bloody hell..