British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Green Card holder and divorce (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/green-card-holder-divorce-678722/)

Circus-of-Power Jul 28th 2010 4:58 pm

Green Card holder and divorce

Quick question...thats been asked a few times..about to file for divorce from the wife who is the USC (cheating USC I may add). Married for 7 years .....green card runs till 2017 ....any idea's if the divorce will affect renewing the green card or my becoming a USC as I plan to stay here

Many thanks for any info

Noorah101 Jul 28th 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Green Card holder and divorce

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power (Post 8735211)
Quick question...thats been asked a few times..about to file for divorce from the wife who is the USC (cheating USC I may add). Married for 7 years .....green card runs till 2017 ....any idea's if the divorce will affect renewing the green card or my becoming a USC as I plan to stay here

Many thanks for any info

As long as you have your 10-year green card in your possession, a divorce will not affect your ability to renew your green card or file the N-400 towards citizenship. You have to just wait until you've been a PR for 5 years before filing the N-400 (as opposed to 3 years if you were still married to a USC).

Rene

Circus-of-Power Jul 28th 2010 5:02 pm

:) thanks for the reply ...sorry i posted in the wrong place :o

SDDep Jul 28th 2010 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power (Post 8735211)

Many thanks for any info

How long have you been in the states?

I'm sure I will be corrected, but assuming the "conditions" (i.e-marriage) have been removed, you are a permanent resident now. It no longer has anything to do with yoru marriage..

And if it runs out in 2017, even if you arrived yesterday, you will have met the 5 year residency requirement before it expires and can become a USC.

jeffreyhy Jul 30th 2010 2:37 pm

SDD,

This is 2010. If the green card does not expire for another 7 years no assumptions are necessary.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8735221)
How long have you been in the states?

I'm sure I will be corrected, but assuming the "conditions" (i.e-marriage) have been removed, you are a permanent resident now. It no longer has anything to do with yoru marriage..

And if it runs out in 2017, even if you arrived yesterday, you will have met the 5 year residency requirement before it expires and can become a USC.

SDDep Jul 30th 2010 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 8740427)
SDD,

This is 2010. If the green card does not expire for another 7 years no assumptions are necessary.

Regards, JEff

Is it 2010? bloody hell..:confused: