Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green Card Holder - Applying for Parents

Green Card Holder - Applying for Parents

Old Mar 16th 2017, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

navman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card Holder - Applying for Parents

I am a UK Citizen and my wife and i have been Green Card Holders for almost 3 years.

I came in on a EB2 Visa through employment and have a child that was born in the US.

My parents reside in the UK, if they wanted to immigrate to the US what are the timelines and what is the process ?

All help, advice and links to information / previous posts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Holder - Applying for Parents

Only citizens can sponsor parents. But once you've got citizenship and have applied, around a year seems to be the figure usually mentioned.

HTH.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 11:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you need to wait 5 years to naturalise.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 12:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for citizenship 90 days ahead of the fifth anniversary of getting your green card, and it'll likely take around six months to get citizenship. The day you can get citizenship is the first day you can apply for visas (leading to green cards on entering the US) for your parents. As Christmasoompa said, it will likley take a year to get the visas.

Meanwhile your parents should consider the cost of healthcare/ insurance. It is usually recommended that ideally an American should have $250,000 to cover the costs of healthcare/ insurance during their retirement. And on entry your parents won't even have access to Medicare for the first five years.

Given the expected reforms to healthcare in the US it is unpredictable what the cost of insurance for your parents might cost 3-4 years from now, but it certainly isn't going to be cheap!