Wikiposts

Green Card Help Wanted!!

Old May 30th 2014, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Help Wanted!!

Have you been told by an immigration judge that you are no longer a permanent resident? If not, you still are one and as your greencard is still valid all you have to do is get on a plane and fly to the US. As said, you may be questioned but until a judge says you have abandoned your status you are still a permenant resident. Permanent residents are required to file taxes and very useful to help prove you didn't abandon your status. I would start by back filing the for the years you missed.
Old May 30th 2014, 6:13 am
Just Joined

AmericanGirl319 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Have you been told by an immigration judge that you are no longer a permanent resident? If not, you still are one and as your greencard is still valid all you have to do is get on a plane and fly to the US. As said, you may be questioned but until a judge says you have abandoned your status you are still a permenant resident. Permanent residents are required to file taxes and very useful to help prove you didn't abandon your status. I would start by back filing the for the years you missed.
Where do I get all the tax forms?? Theres nothing about Taxes on the US Embassy website?? Also where can I get help in filing taxes as my late husband took care of all of that when he was alive and we just headed down to H & R Block!! Are there any US Tax accountants here in the UK who could help me??? Also can I file back as far as 2010 when my late husband died??

Last edited by AmericanGirl319; May 30th 2014 at 6:23 am.
Old May 30th 2014, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Tax forms are on the IRS website. You can file whatever returns you want. I've heard that the IRS folks at the embassy are helpful but I've not used them so I can't comment. I believe they have a number listed on the embassy website.

You should also not put so much emphasis on the embassy. For the most part the people there are not from the relevant department that can help you. The IRS is probably the only one that would be of use to you.
Old May 30th 2014, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmericanGirl319
Where do I get all the tax forms?? Theres nothing about Taxes on the US Embassy website?? Also where can I get help in filing taxes as my late husband took care of all of that when he was alive and we just headed down to H & R Block!! Are there any US Tax accountants here in the UK who could help me??? Also can I file back as far as 2010 when my late husband died??
http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/
Old May 30th 2014, 11:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Tax forms are on the IRS website. You can file whatever returns you want. I've heard that the IRS folks at the embassy are helpful but I've not used them so I can't comment. I believe they have a number listed on the embassy website.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Taxes_..._IRS_in_London

There's even a very good wiki article here on filing through London :/
Old May 31st 2014, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

There is a $96K earned income exclusion plus foreign tax credits so it is unlikely that you will owe any US taxes. As far as abandonment, you may get lucky and the CBP officer may allow you to enter without problems and likely the worse will be that you will be paroled in with an appointment before an IJ.

Personally I suspect that you have better than a 50% chance of entry without any type of issue.
Old May 31st 2014, 3:19 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have to win any raffle to buy a ticket!!!LOLOL. I have money to return back!! Thats no problem, its the Green Card thats the issue!!!

You're missing the point.

Buy a plane ticket and show up in the US. They will let you in or they will say you have abandoned your residency.

If they think you have abandoned your residency, you can request that your case is seen by an immigration judge. You will be allowed into the USA and be given a date to appear. At that point you will need to show there was extenuating circumstances why you were out of the country so long (family illness may be an acceptable excuse).

Of course, you will need to show that you have a residence to return to (your parents in law's home perhaps) and you have done everything required of a resident (tax returns up to date, Drivers license in order etc)
Old May 31st 2014, 4:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thats no problem, its the Green Card thats the issue!!!
The green card is not the issue. Your status as a US permanent resident is the issue... the card is merely proof of that status - it isn't the status itself. Further, I believe the issues (time outside the US and taxes, for example) that you and some of the others are raising are leading you off the track!

Here's the thing... you can not be denied entry at the US border if you have ever had a claim to PR status. What's most likely, is the border guard (even if he puts up a huge fuss) will parole you into the US until such time as you appear before an immigration judge. Only an IJ can determine whether or not you have abandoned your status. The officer at the border does not have that authority; he can not force you to relinquish your green card; he can not force you to sign an I-407. You have a right, under law, to appear before an IJ.

You can't be refused entry to the US as long as you remain a PR... and you have the right to see an IJ if there's an issue. Bottom line - buy a ticket, get on a plane, and get a job in the Dakotas.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 31st 2014 at 4:52 am.