Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card E2 - E3 wait times for UK Citizens

Green card E2 - E3 wait times for UK Citizens

Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

navman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card E2 - E3 wait times for UK Citizens

So the H1B Visa process has come and gone in a week and my application was filed one week to late.

My employer is willing to sponsor a Greencard, not sure if I fit into E2 or E3 categories, but what I want to know is what are the timelines involved in getting this approved for a UK citizen?

All help advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card E2 - E3 wait times for UK Citizens

Originally Posted by navman
So the H1B Visa process has come and gone in a week and my application was filed one week to late.

My employer is willing to sponsor a Greencard, not sure if I fit into E2 or E3 categories, but what I want to know is what are the timelines involved in getting this approved for a UK citizen?

All help advice is greatly appreciated.
I believe that you are referring to EB2 or EB3 and not E2 or E3.

In that case, EB2 is current meaning that processing can start immediately and the process to get the visa is probably 12 to 18 months.

In the case of EB3, the priority date is July 1, 2007 which means that they are now processing applications from July 1 of 2007 and the processing will probably take the same 12 to 18 months.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bul...etin_5900.html

The primary reason that EB3 has such a backlog is that the majority are currently in the US on H-1B visas and are waiting to adjust status via EB3.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 6th 2013 at 5:01 am.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 12:22 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, "citizenship" is irrelevant when it comes to green card allocations. Place of birth can have an effect -- and you do not provide that information.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

UK citizen from Birth.

I have also had a Green Card in my younger years.

Does that help with anything ?

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
FWIW, "citizenship" is irrelevant when it comes to green card allocations. Place of birth can have an effect -- and you do not provide that information.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

UK citizen from Birth.

I think he was referring to EB2 and EB3 preferences where a few countries are not current for EB2 and have a longer wait for EB3.

Previously having a green card is of no help unless you want to go before an immigration judge an claim legal permanent residence status was not abandoned.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:25 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

UK citizen from Birth.

Legal consultation may very well be in order.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Is there any differrence or benefit in waiting times for UK citizen from Birth on a EB2 or EB3 Visa?

I have been advised 12- 18 months, is it the same for both?
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

The first step is Labor Certification, currently taking about 7-8 months. Then I-140, can take as little as 15 days if you pay premium processing. Then you apply for an immigrant visa. Here comes the difference between EB2 and EB3. If you were born in any country other than China or India, an EB2 visa is currently available. Obtaining the immigrant visa would take about 3-6 months.

For an EB3 visa, however, there is a waiting list. Right now, they are giving visas to those who applied in 2007 (if they were born in any country other than India, China or Philippines). This does not mean that the waiting time is 6 years. It means that if you applied in 2007, your wait was 6 years. If you apply today, there will be a wait, but no one knows how long it will be.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Navman, Just as a heads up.

I'm currently going through the EB2-NIW process. I actually got the job over a year ago and my I-140 was received September 5th, 7 months on and still waiting.
Depending on which service centre you use (depending on filing location) and depending on your eligibility for Premium Processing the 140 could take less than 15 days or 60 to 80 with Nebraska.
As always Texas is a lot quicker with most applications.