Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green Card - do I have to carry it at all times?

Green Card - do I have to carry it at all times?

Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

britinOR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card - do I have to carry it at all times?

I've had a green card for a couple of years and just got the conditions removed (yay). Now I'm waiting for the new card to arrive in the mail.

I'm wondering, since replacement costs 370USD, do I have to carry this with me at all times, as I have done up till now, or can I just keep my US drivers license on me as ID. I'd like to just put the new green card in my safe with my passport etc. so I don't run the risk of losing it if my wallet were stolen.

As a LPR am I obliged to carry my GC at all times and surrender it to police if they ask me to or is this not necessary?

Thanks
Brit in OR, curious about my rights and responsibilities
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:31 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice
Default Re: Green Card - do I have to carry it at all times?

Originally Posted by britinOR
I've had a green card for a couple of years and just got the conditions removed (yay). Now I'm waiting for the new card to arrive in the mail.

I'm wondering, since replacement costs 370USD, do I have to carry this with me at all times, as I have done up till now, or can I just keep my US drivers license on me as ID. I'd like to just put the new green card in my safe with my passport etc. so I don't run the risk of losing it if my wallet were stolen.

As a LPR am I obliged to carry my GC at all times and surrender it to police if they ask me to or is this not necessary?

Thanks
Brit in OR, curious about my rights and responsibilities
Someone on a forum (may have been here or another) once said that non-US citizens should carry proof of their immigrant status with them at all times, and that when they visit a foreign country they always carry their passport. I am like you- my passport and visa stay in a safe place at home. It's not just the cost to replace it, it's the hassle of having to report it lost or stolen.
I don't know what the correct answer is though.
I would have thought that a police officer should fairly quickly be able to check your immigrant status electronically????
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:34 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

The "Welcome to the US" handbook certainly says you must carry it all times (page 8). not sure about surrendering it to the police (but I would think not, its yours after all).

Guide (if you've not seen it) is here

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

FWIW I keep mine with me in my wallet and the original forms in a safe should I ever need to replace it
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

do I have to carry this with me at all times,

As a LPR am I obliged to carry my GC at all times
The law says you do. Whether you actually do or not, is up to you. You could be subject to a fine if discovered that you don't have it on you. What the chances of that happening are, no one knows.

and surrender it to police if they ask me to or is this not necessary?
If they ask to see it then yes, you need to show it.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

An LPR friend of mine was crossing from Arizona to California and did not have his green card with him. The border patrol gave him quite a hard time, detained him there off to the side for about an hour, threatened to fine him for not carrying it (they ended up not, but gave him a warning to carry it).

I should add that he's Iranian, though, so that might be why he got more of a hassle. Perhaps a UKC would not get the same treatment, but you never know.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I think I will make a colour photo copy and carry that in my wallet, and store the original in my safe. I'd hate to have to replace it if my purse was stolen! Perhaps if I plan on crossing state lines a whole bunch I'd get the original out.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I think I will make a colour photo copy and carry that in my wallet, and store the original in my safe. I'd hate to have to replace it if my purse was stolen! Perhaps if I plan on crossing state lines a whole bunch I'd get the original out.
Crossing state lines isn't an issue per se. Doing anything at all within 100 miles of the land border, however, can be - but I've never seen CBP anywhere in the state of Oregon. If you do encounter them, I would not necessarily expect them to accept a photocopy of your ID, but who knows.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering, since replacement costs 370USD,
your way behind its now $450
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
An LPR friend of mine was crossing from Arizona to California and did not have his green card with him. The border patrol gave him quite a hard time, detained him there off to the side for about an hour, threatened to fine him for not carrying it (they ended up not, but gave him a warning to carry it).

I should add that he's Iranian, though, so that might be why he got more of a hassle. Perhaps a UKC would not get the same treatment, but you never know.

Rene
Same thing happened to hubby and I - they did not detain us but we were told in no uncertain words that travelling in border areas (this was San Diego area) meant that we should carry our green cards. We are from UK.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you aren't a US citizen, you are meant to always carry proof of your immigration status. It's daft as cops aren't allowed to ask you, but if you live in a border type area where random spot checks happen, then you probably should carry it on you.

Other wise, a photo copy is certainly a good idea. The fine if you get caught without one is a lot smaller than a replacement card and that's if you're really unlucky and don't get a slap on the wrist telling off. 30 days in the clink is the maximum I think? But that's even less likely.

All risk tolerance.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:45 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I did not realize the cost was so much to replace. Given that it is the same - ish for a renewal, do you get a new 10 years, in the event it gets lost/ stolen? Or literally a replacement with the same expiration date?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by RICH
I did not realize the cost was so much to replace. Given that it is the same - ish for a renewal, do you get a new 10 years, in the event it gets lost/ stolen? Or literally a replacement with the same expiration date?
Literally a replacement with the same expiration date.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Well that sucks, it might be cheaper to just apply for citizenship in 3 years time and pay for that rather than renewing the GC every 10 years!

That's it - there's no way I'm going to carry the original card around with me everywhere, the chance of me losing it are too great. I'm just going to stash it in a safe place and take my chances.

It really makes me cross how expensive this whole process has been, every form you submit costs between 350 and 1000 USD! It's no wonder there are so many undocumented immigrants.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

So hypothetically, I am a LPR with a 10 year green card. My Wallet got stolen and my GC was in it. My GC was going to expire next year. Should I apply for a replacement GC now, and then apply for renewal next year.
My status is not changed.
What law enforcement might I need to show my GC to?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by RICH
So hypothetically, I am a LPR with a 10 year green card. My Wallet got stolen and my GC was in it. My GC was going to expire next year. Should I apply for a replacement GC now, and then apply for renewal next year.
My status is not changed.
What law enforcement might I need to show my GC to?
Sorry, I was wrong. When you apply to replace an existing 10-year green card, you receive a new green card with a 10-year expiration date from the date it was issued. My bad.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

It also says (my bolding):

What The Law Says

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states, "Every alien in the United States . . . shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations . . ." It also says, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him . . .. Any alien who fails to comply with [these provisions] shall be guilty of a misdemeanor..." The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring green card are contained in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR section 264.5

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 29th 2012 at 5:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.