From green card to Citizenship -

Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

AnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to all
Default Re: From green card to Citizenship -

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Yeah but ecen so isnt that just the card not the status of the card? Like I thought a green card was evidence of perm resident it isnt the status itself
Yes but as someone mentioned above its done as Formality,,,
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

AnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to all

Originally Posted by civilservant
His 13 years olds Green Card will expire before they are elligable for citizenship.
Correction: His green card will not expire however my son will be 14 before we are eligible to apply for the citizenship therefore and per publication above we have to submit a new green card application for him as I understand it.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnjLeicestershire
Sorry for the confusion. I/We got our green cards via L1-A route. I read some publication that if your child becomes 14 before the citizenship, parents have to submit new application for a new green card for him/her!! Here is the exact wording:-

OBLIGATIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENTS WHO ARE UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
Permanent residents who are under 14 years of age have an affirmative obligation to file an application for a
new Green Card upon reaching their 14th birthday. The permanent resident applicant will be required to
undergo standard security clearances at this time. If you have any children who will turn 14 years of age
before the 10-year expiration of the Green Card, they should be prepared to file an application for a
new “Green Card” within 30 days of reaching their 14th birthday.
Do you have any more information on the source of that quote? I have never heard of anything like it, and it doesn't show up on Google.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, a bit more digging does show up some references to it in the instructions for the I-90 - and it looks like at least the majority of the I-90 fee is waived, in that case, which is better than nothing I guess. Still interested in more general references to this obligation.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
Ok, a bit more digging does show up some references to it in the instructions for the I-90 - and it looks like at least the majority of the I-90 fee is waived, in that case, which is better than nothing I guess. Still interested in more general references to this obligation.
Officially from USCIS.

Also, if you became a permanent resident before you turned 14 years old, you are required to replace your card when you become 14 years old.

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/B2en.pdf
Old Jun 28th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be because they are then old enough to have gotten themselves into some police trouble, given that they have to undergo security clearance (I guess they don't do that when they are younger).