From green card to Citizenship -

Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

AnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to all
Default From green card to Citizenship -

Hi all,

I have few questions regarding applying for a US citizenship, We have had our green cards since 2010 and I believe we can apply for the citizenships in the middle of 2014 is that correct? Second question is that my son who just turned 13 in May 2013, will I have to apply for a separate green card for him at his 14th birthday next year. Any insight in this will be much appreciated.
Cheers
Anj
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From green card to Citizenship -

5 years as a green card holder before you are eligible, although you can apply 90 days before the 5 year anniversary,

So depending on when you received them in 2010, its more likely to be 2015 or the last couple months of 2014. Certainly not 'mid' 2014.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Confused by the comment regarding your son. How did you get your greencards, I'm assuming through work (if so 5 years from getting the card)? Did he not get one? When are they valid until? Why does he need a new one?

When you get citizenship I think as a minor he automatically becomes a citizen though may want to file N600 to prove it.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Confused by the comment regarding your son. How did you get your greencards, I'm assuming through work (if so 5 years from getting the card)? Did he not get one? When are they valid until? Why does he need a new one?

When you get citizenship I think as a minor he automatically becomes a citizen though may want to file N600 to prove it.
May be the child received a card with a limited validity due to age. My child's passport is only good for 5 years, because of age related "biometric" changes.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

AnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to all

Sorry for the confusion. I/We got our green cards via L1-A route. I read some publication that if your child becomes 14 before the citizenship, parents have to submit new application for a new green card for him/her!! Here is the exact wording:-

OBLIGATIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENTS WHO ARE UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
Permanent residents who are under 14 years of age have an affirmative obligation to file an application for a
new Green Card upon reaching their 14th birthday. The permanent resident applicant will be required to
undergo standard security clearances at this time. If you have any children who will turn 14 years of age
before the 10-year expiration of the Green Card, they should be prepared to file an application for a
new “Green Card” within 30 days of reaching their 14th birthday.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AnjLeicestershire
Sorry for the confusion. I/We got our green cards via L1-A route. I read some publication that if your child becomes 14 before the citizenship, parents have to submit new application for a new green card for him/her!! Here is the exact wording:-

OBLIGATIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENTS WHO ARE UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
Permanent residents who are under 14 years of age have an affirmative obligation to file an application for a
new Green Card upon reaching their 14th birthday. The permanent resident applicant will be required to
undergo standard security clearances at this time. If you have any children who will turn 14 years of age
before the 10-year expiration of the Green Card, they should be prepared to file an application for a
new “Green Card” within 30 days of reaching their 14th birthday.
We were given our green cards in Sept 2010 and they are all valid for 10 years.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:32 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So you will be eligible to apply for citizenship in June 2015.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 26th 2013 at 8:44 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Okay got it. This answers one of the question. Cheers
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I was aware of the 14 year old issue. Learn something new every day. Yeah, you'll have to apply for a new card for him, it will be a formality.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thats great! I thought i was done with these stupid green card applications. Thanks for confirming.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 9:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We were given our green cards in Sept 2010 and they are all valid for 10 years.
It is not when you were given your green cards. On the card is a "resident since date", that is the date the 5 years starts from. You can apply for citizenship up to 90 days before the 5th anniversary of that date.

As a heads up they have been know to check the posting date of the application. Do not post it before the 90th day, to arrive on the 90th day. I have seen people who have posted on the 91st day report the application being returned for applying to early.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
It is not when you were given your green cards. On the card is a "resident since date", that is the date the 5 years starts from. You can apply for citizenship up to 90 days before the 5th anniversary of that date.

As a heads up they have been know to check the posting date of the application. Do not post it before the 90th day, to arrive on the 90th day. I have seen people who have posted on the 91st day report the application being returned for applying to early.
Noted Cheers
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:02 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great! I thought i was done with these stupid green card applications. Thanks for confirming.
But surely. If you apply for Citizenship your kids will automatically become citizens as they are under the age of 18. So you wont need to refile green cards for them will you?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:17 am
Often not so civil...

His 13 years olds Green Card will expire before they are elligable for citizenship.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:50 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
His 13 years olds Green Card will expire before they are elligable for citizenship.
Yeah but ecen so isnt that just the card not the status of the card? Like I thought a green card was evidence of perm resident it isnt the status itself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.