Green card - change of job

Old Nov 19th 2016, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Disneygmail is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card - change of job

Hi.
New to the forum.

I got my Work sponsored green card in august this year (applied for in march).
Considering changing job in the early part of 2017 and moving to another part of US. Would be a similar type of job. Just looking for some input on the do's and don'ts for this situation.
I've read a bit about not moving too soon after receiving a GC as it might alert USCIS of your original intent for Getting GC. I would appreciate some advice on the subject - especially from those who have done similar.

Thanks in advance.
B

Last edited by Disneygmail; Nov 19th 2016 at 1:14 am. Reason: Misprinted name.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 1:43 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card - change of job

You have a Green Card. The only employment considerations are your contract.

*Unless you did something dodgy to get where you are!
Old Nov 19th 2016, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Everything was legit. Thanks Rich...!
Old Nov 19th 2016, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the whole point of a GC is so you're not tied to an employer.

Now THEY may be pissed at you but legally, unless as Rich said, there's a breach of contract, there's nothing to stop you moving anywhere in the US and working for whoever you like - again unless there are citizenship restrictions or other national security concerns.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Disneygmail
I've read a bit about not moving too soon after receiving a GC as it might alert USCIS of your original intent for Getting GC.
What sort of "original intent" could possibly cause a problem? If your original intent was to get a green card via your employer - then that's exactly what's happened... and that's perfectly legitimate. USCIS has no interest in your intent once you actually have a green card in your hand. The only reason your employer might care is if you are contractually bound to them for a period of time... but I need to point out that indentured servitude was abolished in the US in 1863. At any rate, your status as a US permanent resident gives you the freedom to move anywhere in the US and work for anyone you wish.

Ian
Old Nov 20th 2016, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. You've helped a lot. I will be moving on soon...