British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Green Card Approved! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/green-card-approved-835469/)

Victorinox Jun 2nd 2014 6:44 pm

Green Card Approved!

Came to the US on an H-1B visa in January 2012. Hasn’t been an easy road, but was able to get the EB-2 process going.

Just received notification that I have been approved today!
Labor certification got caught up in the govt shutdown in 2013, I-140 got an RFE and I-485 also got an RFE.

I was starting to get very tetchy, and got one of my Senators involved; they found out (27/05/14) I had been caught up in an extended security review (which can take years to clear up) and then went for an Infopass appointment on 30/05/14, where I was told my case had been assigned to an officer. I started wondering how long it would take.

I logged into the USCIS website to check, I assumed, that it was still showing my RFE response, but instead it showed I had been approved!!
I am more relieved than excited, and I thank God.

Although the senator cannot ask the USCIS to make a decision either way, I sometimes wonder if the thought that a relatively senior politician has taken an interest makes the USCIS buck-up.

Anyway, I had a time-sensitive issue depending on this approval (can’t go into detail) so I am pleasantly surprised at how quick it has been resolved. The horrible part is just being told to wait, with no end-date in sight.

This process has helped me develop an appreciation for the UK, although my situation needs me to be in the US for the moment!

ian-mstm Jun 2nd 2014 7:54 pm

Re: Green Card Approved!

Originally Posted by Victorinox (Post 11285663)
Just received notification that I have been approved today!

Congratulations! :)

Ian

Victorinox Jun 3rd 2014 1:30 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11285752)
Congratulations! :)

Ian

Thank you!

Orangepants Jun 3rd 2014 8:09 pm

Well done - huge relief I am sure. We start on the GC road later this year...

Victorinox Jun 3rd 2014 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 11287037)
Well done - huge relief I am sure. We start on the GC road later this year...

Good luck! EB2 or EB3 ?
I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to go through the EB3 process!

Orangepants Jun 3rd 2014 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Victorinox (Post 11287079)
Good luck! EB2 or EB3 ?
I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to go through the EB3 process!

Fortunately EB-1 (from O-1) - been a lot of work getting to the point of being able to fulfill the criteria - and I am sure much more to do for documentation purposes!

Hawkini Jun 3rd 2014 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 11287115)
Fortunately EB-1 (from O-1) - been a lot of work getting to the point of being able to fulfill the criteria - and I am sure much more to do for documentation purposes!

EB-1 rocks - A, B or C. I am very gratefully married to a senior manager who had no RFEs in any of her petitions (L-1B or EB-1C) - so I guess a combination of a no issues job and also attorneys who got everything right the first time.

I have seen documentation requirements for EB-1A and EB-1B is extensive, but I'm guessing so was the requirements for the O-1 as well!

E3only Jun 4th 2014 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Victorinox (Post 11285663)
Came to the US on an H-1B visa in January 2012. Hasn’t been an easy road, but was able to get the EB-2 process going.

Congrats...some of the folks have to wait 8 -10 years ...with that perspective I hope you enjoy the day even more!

notshipman Jun 4th 2014 12:44 am

exactly I dont think its feasible for a work permit entrant in the UK to get ILR status that quick!

Victorinox Jun 4th 2014 1:12 am

Because I thought it might have been caught up in an open-ended security review, after all the RFEs etc, I was quite frustrated towards the end.

When it was approved, it came as a complete surprise, being just 5 days after the Senator’s liaison found it was in an extended security review, with no timelines (it takes as long as it takes – up to 5 years – in the case of the unfortunate few).

So, I wasn’t elated, but instead, I was just relieved.

I was grateful for everything that had been done on my behalf because I didn’t spend a single cent during this process; my reaction, or lack thereof, was a bit surprising to the person from my employer who organized the process. I had to explain to her that even though it was completed in under 2 years, I was completed exhausted.