Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green Card Application and SSN query

Green Card Application and SSN query

Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Munter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card Application and SSN query

Hi,
I have lived almost 2 years in the USA on an L2 visa. My husband holds an L1 visa and my daughter also holds an L2.

I am allowed to work but my daughter is not.

My husband and I both have our own SSN's but my daughter is not yet allows to have one. She now attends a college in PA but is unable to take paid employment. To pass the time she does a lot of volunteer work.

We have just started the process to apply for a green card. We are at the very beginning and so the official application has not yet been sent.

My question is.....
Once the application is sent and acknowledged can my daughter then apply for her SSN or does she have to wait until the GC is granted?

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Application and SSN query

Was form I-765 for an EAD part of her AOS application? She might be able to get a SSN once she has her EAD in hand. Otherwise, she'll need to wait until she has her green card in hand.

Rene
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Was form I-765 for an EAD part of her AOS application? She can get an SSN once she has her EAD in hand. Otherwise, she'll need to wait until she has her green card in hand.

Rene
FIFY
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Was form I-765 for an EAD part of her AOS application? She might be able to get a SSN once she has her EAD in hand. Otherwise, she'll need to wait until she has her green card in hand.

Rene
Thank you. I am sure that I had to have a SSN prior to applying for my EAD.

She is just desperate to work. (She won't be feeling that way in 20 years time 😂😂)
Old Sep 15th 2017, 12:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munter
Thank you. I am sure that I had to have a SSN prior to applying for my EAD.
One does not need a SSN in order to get an EAD.

Rene
Old Sep 15th 2017, 12:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munter
I am sure that I had to have a SSN prior to applying for my EAD.
As an L-2 spouse, you were eligible to get a SSN prior to getting an EAD... but it wasn't a requirement for you.

Ian
Old Sep 15th 2017, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Thank you all,

Based on all your advice, I was able to google my query and come up with a response I'm happy with 😀

I assumed my daughter required a SSN and had been researching ways in which she could obtain one. When all she really needs is the EAD and we can submit this along with the GC application.

Thank you again