British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Green Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/green-card-907859/)

Ecto17 Jan 12th 2018 12:16 am

Green Card

Hoping for some advise.
We (husband, son and l) have been over here since June on an L visa with husbands company. We had originally come out with the idea of it being a 3 year adventure.
Husbands has been asked a few times by his company if we want to be put forward for a green card. It took us by surprise as this wasn't something that we had negotiated pre transfer or requested.
We both feel it is too early to know what we want but equally we don't understand the potential implications of applying and what that could mean long term.
Any advise on the pros and cons of this situation would be greatly appreciated.

tom169 Jan 12th 2018 1:34 am

Re: Green Card

Go for it!

crg Jan 12th 2018 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Ecto17 (Post 12416899)
Hoping for some advise.
We (husband, son and l) have been over here since June on an L visa with husbands company. We had originally come out with the idea of it being a 3 year adventure.
Husbands has been asked a few times by his company if we want to be put forward for a green card. It took us by surprise as this wasn't something that we had negotiated pre transfer or requested.
We both feel it is too early to know what we want but equally we don't understand the potential implications of applying and what that could mean long term.
Any advise on the pros and cons of this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Not much of a down side. Once you have a green card, your place of general abode must be in the US, but you can always abandon the green card if you don't want it anymore.

How old is your son? If he turns 21 as an L, he loses his status to live in the U.S. unless he finds some other way. L1/L2 can travel without a parole document while under adjustment if otherwise admissible as an L1/L2.

Twinkle0927 Jan 12th 2018 1:55 am

Why wouldn't you take them up on that? It's not compulsory to stay here for the rest of your days if you have a green card. You can always return to the U.K. (or move to another country subject to visas, etc) if life takes you that way in the future. You would just abandon your residency status with a "thanks, but no thanks" and be gone. You don't have to become US citizens if you don't want to. As previously mentioned, since you have a child it will give him more security. Although your L-1 can be renewed over and over, your son's L-2 will expire when he turns 21 and he will have no option but to leave the country unless there is another visa category he would be eligible for (the usual one is a student visa). If he's remotely close to 21 I would seriously consider it.

crg Jan 12th 2018 2:06 am

It should be noted that the max stay for an L1A is 7 years and 5 for L1B and then they have to be out for one year.

md95065 Jan 12th 2018 7:42 am

Getting a green card also has the benefit that your ability to stay in the US would no longer be dependent on your husband's employer.

Even if everything looks great right now, things can change very quickly an you could find yourself being obliged to leave the US on very short notice if your husband were to lose his job for any reason.

MidAtlantic Jan 12th 2018 11:40 am

I agree with others. No real downside and very big upside in terms of security.

Ecto17 Jan 12th 2018 2:17 pm

I thought that if you had a green card you were obligated to complete a US tax return each year even if you return to the U.K.?

neill Jan 12th 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ecto17 (Post 12417386)
I thought that if you had a green card you were obligated to complete a US tax return each year even if you return to the U.K.?

Correct. Doing that is easy, though, compared to getting another employer so keen to sponsor you for a green card should you decide America is for you long term (and a lot of people end up in that situation).

Noorah101 Jan 12th 2018 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ecto17 (Post 12417386)

Only if you are trying to keep your PR status. If you decide 100% you don't want to be US PRs, then you fill out a form to return the Green Card and abandon the PR status... then you don't habe to do US tax returns.

Rene

Rete Jan 12th 2018 3:15 pm

That requirement is if you are only going to be outside of the US for short durations. The green card means the US must be your principal place of residency. Otherwise once you have a green card for 5 years you can naturalize and then move back to the UK or elsewhere in the world and still come back to live in the US without needing a visa. As a USC you must declare worldwide income. But at present the threshold is high enough that your obligation to pay US taxes are low.

Your children are young but if you are here for 5 to 10 years they might well consider the US their home country rather than the UK and want to remain here for college, marriage, career, etc. Citizenship then would be very beneficial for them and you to return to visit them and grandkiddies.

Getting a green card is of no cost to you so I say go for it You can always relinquish it if you want to if you decide not to naturalize permaand to leave the US permanently

Ecto17 Jan 12th 2018 3:47 pm

Thank you everyone, appreciate all your advise.
Hubbys boss has been asking him as if it was a no brainer and we wanted to be sure that was in fact the case.
Will give very serious thought. Thank you

Guindalf Jan 13th 2018 3:47 am

Many people come here with a prospective L visa and BEG to be offered a green card, so go for it! I can't add any more than the others, but it's a great advantage.

OF course, after holding a GC for five years, you can apply for citizenship, giving free and easy access to both countries (more about that when you need the info!).

tom169 Jan 13th 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12416939)
Go for it!

Let me expand on this: peace of mind.

Sleep knowing that a company can't just pull the plug and uproot your entire family again.

You (and your family) can start to consider the US as home for the rest of their life. College options open up, scholarships become possible.

It's a very big deal to before a US permanent resident and there really isn't any downside.

Ecto17 Jan 14th 2018 10:24 pm

Thank you everyone, your responses have really helped us and we are taking a much more open view to the possibilities. Thanks