Gov't snoop e-mail

Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gov't snoop e-mail

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
E-mail is the same thing as private correspondance, and a gov't agency has no more right to read your email as they do to reading your private mail, unless you give them permission

If you enter the US either as a tourist, or on a proper visa, can you be prosecuted for that crime in the US, even tho it was done in another country? Would not the country the action occured in have jurisdiction, not the US? U
~J
(1) I believe immigration officers have the right to inspect your luggage and read any correspondence and other materials contained therein. So I expect they would argue that e-mail falls within the same category.

(2) The US government reserves the right to exclude anyone who does not meet their criteria for gaining admittance. So if they consider something illegal, that's all that counts.

Tough, but this seems to be the way it is...
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Tough, but this seems to be the way it is...
I would hope, though, that if you pass they cordially welcome you to the land of the free.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:09 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I would hope, though, that if you pass they cordially welcome you to the land of the free.
Got that right
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:19 am
L D Jones

Folinskyinla wrote:

>>Folinskyinla wrote:
    >>>Hi:
    >>>A law professor/immigration attorney has posted this broadcast on
    >>>several attroney e-groups. I've redacted the identifying
    >>>information,
    >>>but thought it might be of interest here:
    >>>"I'm doing some research on the following issue, and would like to
    >>>hear
    >>>from anyone who has clients who have experienced this treatment:
    >>>"The Department of Homeland Security officials (CBP) at a particular
    >>>US
    >>>airport have the following practice: When aliens with approved US
    >>>visas
    >>>come into the United States through the airport, the agents select
    >>>some
    >>>of them for secondary inspection. "Secondary inspection" takes
    >>>place in
    >>>a closed interrogation room. In the room there is a government
    >>>computer
    >>>with Internet access. The agents order the aliens to log onto their
    >>>Internet e-mail accounts. Once the aliens have logged in using
    >>>their
    >>>user IDs and passwords, the agents take over the computer and read
    >>>the
    >>>aliens' e-mails (on Yahoo!, AOL, MSN, etc.). The agents do this to
    >>>see
    >>>if there is something incriminating in the e-mail that would allow
    >>>the
    >>>agents to deny the aliens entry.
    >>Coercing someone to login to their webmail account is more than just
    >>"snooping" particulary if the person is threatened with removal should
    >>they refuse. I suppose under the guise of "homeland security"
    >>unreasonable search and seizure doesn't apply
    >
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > It has NEVER applied in border inspections.
    >

Of course

Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Using the example of downloading songs in Canada... If one does that in Canada, then returns to the US, could that person be prosecuted here because it's considered a crime?
Generally, I would think no. If the person burned the songs to a CD however, I guess he could be charged with smuggling! Seriously though... downloading per se is not illegal - at least not in Canada. At any rate, the RIAA and the CRIA do not usually go after downloaders, they go after those who offer up those files so that they can be downloaded by others.

Ian
Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My web accout would only containg incoming messages since I last downloaded, not a lot and certainly for ther one I use on boards, mainly spam.

There seems a lot of ladies around here whose husbands are out of town and are looking for fun, judging by the number of e mails, pretty much the whole local female population.

I digress.

What would worry me more is if the had access to all my passwords/logons etc etc. Now that is encrypted, but on my PDA and Lap Top, both of which may be with me.

Makes you think....
Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:36 am
Andrew DeFaria

Boiler wrote:

>> Generally, I would think no. If the person burned the songs to a CD
    >> however, I guess he could be charged with smuggling! :) Seriously
    >> though... downloading per se is not illegal - at least not in Canada.
    >> At any rate, the RIAA and the CRIA do not usually go after
    >> downloaders, they go after those who offer up those files so that
    >> they can be downloaded by others.
    >> Ian
    > My web accout would only containg incoming messages since I last
    > downloaded, not a lot and certainly for ther one I use on boards,
    > mainly spam.

Hmmm.... Let me see. So far this week I received... 7730 emails and only
18 legitimate ones made it to my Inbox. Hmmm... I can give them those
7712 junk emails! That oughta keep 'em busy for a while! ;-)
--
Assassins do it from behind.

Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future

Another question I wanted to raise from other conversation here is this. Let's say an action is illegal in the US, but legal in your country of residence/nationality (whatever...). If you enter the US either as a tourist, or on a proper visa, can you be prosecuted for that crime in the US, even tho it was done in another country? Would not the country the action occured in have jurisdiction, not the US? Using the example of downloading songs in Canada...If one does that in Canada, then returns to the US, could that person be prosecuted here because it's considered a crime?
~J
From the US Customs website:

Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles
CBP enforces laws relating to the protection of trademarks and copyrights. Articles that infringe a federally registered trademark or copyright or copyright protected by the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works are subject to detention and/or seizure. Infringing articles may consist of articles that use a protected right without the authorization of the trademark or copyright owner or articles that copy or simulate a protected right.

In regard to copyright infringement, articles that are determined by CBP to be clearly piratical of a protected copyright, i.e., unauthorized articles that are substantially similar to a material protected by a copyright, are subject to seizure. A personal use exemption for articles, similar to that described above also applies to copyrighted articles for the personal, non-commercial use of the importer and are not for sale or distribution.

You may bring back genuine trademarked and copyrighted articles (subject to duties). Products subject to copyright protection most commonly imported include software on CD-ROMs, sound recordings, toys, stuffed animals, clothing with cartoon characters, videotapes, DVDs, music CDs, and books. Products subject to trademark protection most commonly imported include handbags and accessories, and clothing.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

MarsBar will become famous soon enoughMarsBar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
(2) The US government reserves the right to exclude anyone who does not meet their criteria for gaining admittance. So if they consider something illegal, that's all that counts.
Thats really interesting. Guess every Brit over the age of 18 who's had sex with someone whos 16 or 17 in England would have commited a crime under US Law considering that in the UK 16 is the legal age of consent and in the US it's 18! LOL Guess that goes for all those "underaged" European drinkers as well. Oops :P

Hey, really interesting thread guys. Ive enjoyed reading every bit of it.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarsBar
Thats really interesting. Guess every Brit over the age of 18 who's had sex with someone whos 16 or 17 in England would have commited a crime under US Law considering that in the UK 16 is the legal age of consent and in the US it's 18! LOL Guess that goes for all those "underaged" European drinkers as well. Oops :P
age of consent is 14 in spain and a few other countries...but then weed is legal in holland...makes things a bit interesting doesn't it..
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:25 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
age of consent is 14 in spain and a few other countries...but then weed is legal in holland...makes things a bit interesting doesn't it..

It is not 14. It is 18..
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
It is not 14. It is 18..
well it was one of those liberal european countries, probably holland then *lol*
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:49 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

MarsBar wrote:
    >>(1) I believe immigration officers have the right to inspect your
    >> luggage and read any correspondence and other materials contained
    >> therein. So I expect they would argue that e-mail falls within the
    >> same category.
    >>(2) The US government reserves the right to exclude anyone who does
    >> not meet their criteria for gaining admittance. So if they
    >> consider something illegal, that's all that counts.
    >>Tough, but this seems to be the way it is...
    >
    >
    > Thats really interesting. Guess every Brit over the age of 18 who's had
    > sex with someone whos 16 or 17 in England would have commited a crime
    > under US Law considering that in the UK 16 is the legal age of consent
    > and in the US it's 18! LOL Guess that goes for all those "underaged"
    > European drinkers as well. Oops :P
    >
    > Hey, really interesting thread guys. Ive enjoyed reading every
    > bit of it.
    >

Actually, the so-called "age of consent" varies from state to state.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

================================================== =============
Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 URL: http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]
================================================== =============

Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Bob
well it was one of those liberal european countries, probably holland then *lol*
must be!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

MarsBar will become famous soon enoughMarsBar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jonathan McNeil Wong
Actually, the so-called "age of consent" varies from state to state.
my point as a simple one and Im sure you get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.