Wikiposts

Gov't Issued Photo ID

Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gov't Issued Photo ID

We have been advised to bring gov't issued photo ID to the AOS meeting in NY to get into the building.

I have a NY State driver's license but my wife doesn't. We don't have a car as most non-wealthy NYC residents. I wasn't sure if we should go and get my wife a NY Picture ID through the DMV or if her passport and SS card would be sufficient.

We went to 26 Federal Plaza last year for the Advanced Parole document and had no problem getting in. But my wife's foreign passport isn't US Gov't issued ID so I'm a little concerned.

Thanks,

John
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:29 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gov't Issued Photo ID

Originally posted by tcylinder
We have been advised to bring gov't issued photo ID to the AOS meeting in NY to get into the building.

I have a NY State driver's license but my wife doesn't. We don't have a car as most non-wealthy NYC residents. I wasn't sure if we should go and get my wife a NY Picture ID through the DMV or if her passport and SS card would be sufficient.

We went to 26 Federal Plaza last year for the Advanced Parole document and had no problem getting in. But my wife's foreign passport isn't US Gov't issued ID so I'm a little concerned.

Thanks,

John
I would get her the NY picture ID. If it is like the Arkansas ID, it is very similar to the drivers license, very cheap, and is something that US offices seem happy to see. It also meets their criteria of government issued.

Debbie
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dbark
I would get her the NY picture ID. If it is like the Arkansas ID, it is very similar to the drivers license, very cheap, and is something that US offices seem happy to see. It also meets their criteria of government issued.

Debbie

Hello and thanks for writing. You mean a NY State picture ID that is issued through the DMV right? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant or if there is some kind of State ID you can purchase somewhere.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Butch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

John
I live in NY I've never heard if one threw the DMV mabey they do, but I know my daughter had to have one and we had to get it done at the Sheriffs Dept. hers is a state ID card I would think that if the DMV does do IDs they would also be state, its a state agency

Last edited by Butch; Jun 20th 2004 at 1:53 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Butch
I live in NY I've never heard if one threw the DMV mabey they do, but I know my daughter had to have one and we had to get it done at the Sheriffs Dept.
Yes, NY DMV definitely gives non-driver photo ID's to residents as long as they have proper identification.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:56 pm

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and thanks for writing. You mean a NY State picture ID that is issued through the DMV right? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant or if there is some kind of State ID you can purchase somewhere.
I would phone or call in at the DMV. I got this kind of ID for my daughter, at the same place that issues drivers licenses, when she was flying within the US without me. I would have been very worried to have let her take her UK passport (she is 14) in case she lost it. Whereas if she loses the state ID it is no big deal. All she had to do was take her birth certificate and passport along to the office, and pose for the picture, and in five minutes, voilà !

Debbie
Old Jun 20th 2004, 2:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

yes, it is through the NYS DMV. Jim got his by going to the local DMV office. Your wife will need proof of residency, i.e. lease, utility bill and her passport and EAD.

Rete
Old Jun 20th 2004, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
yes, it is through the NYS DMV. Jim got his by going to the local DMV office. Your wife will need proof of residency, i.e. lease, utility bill and her passport and EAD.

Rete

Thanks, do you remember if he got the ID same day or if they mailed it later?
Old Jun 20th 2004, 2:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Back in '98 it was mailed to him.

Rete
Old Jun 20th 2004, 2:26 pm
Concierge

Back in '98 it was mailed to him.

Rete
Old Jun 20th 2004, 3:15 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Thanks,

John
I thought they required Govt issued ID, not specifically US Govt issued ID?

In that case the passport should do it as it is still Govt issued ID, just not US Govt?
Old Jun 21st 2004, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lairdside
I thought they required Govt issued ID, not specifically US Govt issued ID?

In that case the passport should do it as it is still Govt issued ID, just not US Govt?

You may be right. The NOA states that you must bring Gov't issued ID such as a Driver's License. They don't specify US Gov't issued ID but they also always state that any documents in another language must be translated so if you have any ID not in English, you'de have to have a translation.

So we go to the DMV this morning and are put through the idiot civil service beurocracy and told that none of our ID/evidence, even though it is on their list of acceptable evidence, is good. My wife's EAD is expiring in 3 months and they say it has to be good for 6 months. We also brough our Advance Parole document and they were confused and not sure. We also brought her passport and they were saying something about her not having official status even though a passport with I-94 is fine on their list. We requested to see a supervisor who made a call to Albany and told us they didn't have my wife's name in the system yet. She took our number and said we would be contacted within 5 days. I'd be suprised if we get a call. Total bullshit. I'm so sick of uniformed, uninterested, unintelligent people servicing the needs of the public.

I think we should be fine with my wife's passport and her EAD card as gov't issued photo ID for entrance into the building.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:45 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

John

Hi:

A passport is a government issued ID -- often considered the finest kind, in fact.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 2:14 am

You may be right. The NOA states that you must bring Gov't issued ID such as a Driver's License. They don't specify US Gov't issued ID but they also always state that any documents in another language must be translated so if you have any ID not in English, you'de have to have a translation.

So we go to the DMV this morning and are put through the idiot civil service beurocracy and told that none of our ID/evidence, even though it is on their list of acceptable evidence, is good. My wife's EAD is expiring in 3 months and they say it has to be good for 6 months. We also brough our Advance Parole document and they were confused and not sure. We also brought her passport and they were saying something about her not having official status even though a passport with I-94 is fine on their list. We requested to see a supervisor who made a call to Albany and told us they didn't have my wife's name in the system yet. She took our number and said we would be contacted within 5 days. I'd be suprised if we get a call. Total bullshit. I'm so sick of uniformed, uninterested, unintelligent people servicing the needs of the public.

I think we should be fine with my wife's passport and her EAD card as gov't issued photo ID for entrance into the building.
Sorry they gave you such a hard time ..... what a waste of time. I know it was different here, but it is a small community and their office is usually empty. Good luck with your AOS!

Debbie