Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Got offered a job BUT now stuck...

Got offered a job BUT now stuck...

Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

missterri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got offered a job BUT now stuck...

Hi everyone!!

I've recently been offered a job in Vegas! It's working for an awesome company as a marketing manager. I was so excited to get something as we all know it's really difficult to find sponsorship... but now we're stuck on the visa stage. The company would go through the H1B however, they're looking into finding and interim solution so that I could start before that but it's not looking good at all.

Does anyone know of any visas or ways to go about doing this?? It would be such a shame to lose out on this incredible job because of the visa. I'm so desperate to get this job so it would be amazing if anyone has got an idea of what could be done?

Thank you so much for reading and appreciate any help!

Terri
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got offered a job BUT now stuck...

You didn't work with this company or a UK subsidiary before?
Completely new hire?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Direct to a green card if they'll wear the fees and don't mind you being able to jump ship?

Would be quicker than waiting nearly a year to start on a H1-B anyway, and obviously far better for you to have that security and ability to move on if you wish.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
You didn't work with this company or a UK subsidiary before?
Completely new hire?
- no I'm a new hire and not part of subsidiary. They don't have a sub in the UK unfortunately.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Direct to a green card if they'll wear the fees and don't mind you being able to jump ship?

Would be quicker than waiting nearly a year to start on a H1-B anyway, and obviously far better for you to have that security and ability to move on if you wish.
- Wow it's quicker that way? They're not willing to wait till a start next October
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Did none of this come up at the interviews?

What was the path that led you to the current stage?
Do you have specific skills for example that they'd have difficulty finding in a US applicant?

Context always helps...
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Did none of this come up at the interviews?

What was the path that led you to the current stage?
Do you have specific skills for example that they'd have difficulty finding in a US applicant?

Context always helps...
So I had a phone interview, then a video conference call with the company, then flew to Dublin to meet the CEO for a final meet. Then after that they said they'd offer me a job and is currently going through their legal department to see what they can do. So they've kept me in the loop slightly to tell me they're having troubles with finding a legit interim solution before the H1B.

In terms of the job role, I am experienced as a multi-channel digital marketer and they've had trouble looking for someone with experience across all the digital marketing channels. They've only come across people with experience in 1 or 2 channels.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The employer really is the one to do all the visa legwork. They are supposedly working with an immigration attorney who is advising then on legal visa issues. It really is up to them to find an interim solution, if there is one. They shouldn't be asking you to do this.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you have any idea how long they'll wait? There doesn't look like any quick fix...
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:33 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missterri
Hi everyone!!

I've recently been offered a job in Vegas! It's working for an awesome company as a marketing manager. I was so excited to get something as we all know it's really difficult to find sponsorship... but now we're stuck on the visa stage. The company would go through the H1B however, they're looking into finding and interim solution so that I could start before that but it's not looking good at all.

Does anyone know of any visas or ways to go about doing this?? It would be such a shame to lose out on this incredible job because of the visa. I'm so desperate to get this job so it would be amazing if anyone has got an idea of what could be done?

Thank you so much for reading and appreciate any help!

Terri
I know someone that came to the US on an O visa and works in marketing, so that might be worth looking at.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missterri
The company would go through the H1B...
They can't file an application until April 1, 2015 for work starting on October 1, 2015.

... they're looking into finding and interim solution so that I could start before that...
You could always work remotely! If you're doing digital marketing, I suspect there's no need for you to actually be in the US to do this.

Ian
Old Nov 19th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Working remotely can work well as an interim option, along with regular VWP trips (2~3 weeks every ~3 months) for meetings and to get to know your colleagues. I've seen that sort of arrangement several times.

Filing for EB-1 or EB-2 could be a possibility, as noted. Could be done in < 6 months.

If you happen to be Australian or Canadian there are other options.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

Not sure EB1 speeds anything up - husband's was approved beginning of May and still stuck at NVC despite everything being submitted as quickly as possible. Non-immigrant visas seem to have a much quicker processing time.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the same situation and the company set up a "training scheme" and got me a J1 while I waited for a H1B. Took a couple of months.