Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Got LPR status, moving to the States in Dec. Is it ok to book return ticket?

Got LPR status, moving to the States in Dec. Is it ok to book return ticket?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

thesuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got LPR status, moving to the States in Dec. Is it ok to book return ticket?

Hi,

My husband got his visa application approved this morning, so we're all set to move to the States in the next couple of months . One question. Return tickets for December are much cheaper than one way fares. Are we ok to book a return, and just not use the other half of it, or will this cause problems with immigration? We're worried they might question why we have a return ticket when we're saying we're immigrating, and also that if we don't board the return flight it might trigger some immigration issue.

Has anyone else travelled immigrated on a return ticket before and were there any problems as a result?

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got LPR status, moving to the States in Dec. Is it ok to book return ticket?

Originally Posted by thesuz
Hi,

My husband got his visa application approved this morning, so we're all set to move to the States in the next couple of months . One question. Return tickets for December are much cheaper than one way fares. Are we ok to book a return, and just not use the other half of it, or will this cause problems with immigration? We're worried they might question why we have a return ticket when we're saying we're immigrating, and also that if we don't board the return flight it might trigger some immigration issue.

Has anyone else travelled immigrated on a return ticket before and were there any problems as a result?

Thanks
Yes, you can have a return ticket, it's not a problem. I'm sure most people travel on return tickets, as the fare is cheaper. You might want to book the return portion as far out as you can, you never know, you might end up using it after all for a visit.

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got LPR status, moving to the States in Dec. Is it ok to book return ticket?

US immigration isn't going to know that you have round-trip tickets, unless for some strange reason you tell them.

Theoretically you could potentially have a problem with the airline if you do not use the return portion of the ticket.

Regards, JEff

My husband got his visa application approved this morning, so we're all set to move to the States in the next couple of months . One question. Return tickets for December are much cheaper than one way fares. Are we ok to book a return, and just not use the other half of it, or will this cause problems with immigration?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved back in January we bought round-trip tix with BA as they were cheaper than one-way. I (the LPR) happened to use the return portion on a visit to the UK in March, and bought a one-way back to the US with Aer Lingus who happened to offer a cheap one-way at the time. My wife (the USC) never used her return portion. We have yet to have BA bomb us from any of their passing planes. US immigration haven't batted an eyelid.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We're worried they might question why we have a return ticket when we're saying we're immigrating, and also that if we don't board the return flight it might trigger some immigration issue.
I'm curious to know why you think US immigration would even care how you get to the US? Their only concern is admitting you to the US (or not) once you arrive.

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a story I'll pass on I read from the person it happened to. It was a crazy thing, but did happen.

They arrived on a round trip ticket and didn't bother to call the airlines before the return flight. At the adjustment of status interview the officer said he had abandoned his AOS because he left the US on [date]. Yes it was the date of the return ticket he didn't use. All the applicant could figure out was somebody else took that seat, maybe last minute, but the original ticket holder's name mistakenly remained on the airline manifest. It was a very huge hassle to prove he didn't leave the country and it delayed his greencard. Even though this is a crazy series of mistakes, it's easy enough to call and cancel. It's courteous too.