Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Got a greencard - but want to go home for a while

Wikiposts

Got a greencard - but want to go home for a while

Old Sep 8th 2006, 5:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got a greencard - but want to go home for a while

Congratulations on the job offer. From my limited knowledge on reading and studying, it would seem that you might be best served to apply for an re-entry permit via form I-131, which will allow you to remain outside of the US for two years. On the application be sure to indicate that you are leaving to work for a US based company in their foreign subsidiary for a short duration. Believe it is renewable. But you still have to maintain your ties to the US to help insure that you will not be considered to have abandoned your residency. If you own a home, rent it out for the time abroad. Keep your bank account here open and active.

Rete
Originally Posted by hobbes79
I got a greencard about a year ago. I am married to a US citizen, and it was actually a rather pain less process. They have a Fast Track system here in Texas, and it took just a couple of months.

I have been made unemployed though, and have accepted a great offer with a global (and in fact, US based) company back in my home country of the United Kingdom. My wife is REALLy excited about living there, as am I, though we both are pretty clear about the fact that we wish to return to the US for the long term future. We are in our 20s, and just see this as a fun and exciting thing to do for 3 or 4 years.

How does this affect my green card/permanent resident status? I could understand if the INS wanted to revoke my Green Card, but I wouldn't see a lot of point in that since with me being married to a US citizen, I could simply get another. I don't want to go through that process again, but it certainly means the INS taking any action a little futile.

Anyway, that's my OPINION on the matter. Does anyone have anymore qualified suggestions and advice about what we are doing?

Thanks very much... and sorry to explode on the scene with my first post containing so many questions!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 5:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

She has an "entry clearance" with "multi" number of entries. Not sure what the difference is...

And pardon my ignorance, but what's a 'DCF'?

Also, from a previous post, 'SOL'?

Thanks!
DCF = direct consular filing. Can be done if your wife has a certain status in the UK which will allow her to file for your residency there if you should be considered to have abandoned it.

SOL - Shite out of luck.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

She has an "entry clearance" with "multi" number of entries. Not sure what the difference is...
that's different...need to get a spouse visa...it's not hard to get, or time consuming...a few weeks, not cheap as all things aren't these days.

Oh, and for keeping ties to the US, definitely file taxes to the IRS.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We got that sorted, she has a UK work permit.
Why not a spouse visa?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, sounds like I need to get a UK spouse visa to make things easier in future. I filed the I-131 today which should give me at least 2 years. Maybe the 3-4 was a little excessive... but at least I don't need to stress for a couple of years, which is good. Thank you every one for your help and advice. And yes, I'll definitely continue to file taxes... it was made very clear during the I-131 process I should do that and that it will help A LOT!

I have no doubt this is going to be a pain... but through the help on this forum, it's at least been minimised. Thanks again!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, sounds like I need to get a UK spouse visa to make things easier in future. I filed the I-131 today which should give me at least 2 years. Maybe the 3-4 was a little excessive... but at least I don't need to stress for a couple of years, which is good. Thank you every one for your help and advice. And yes, I'll definitely continue to file taxes... it was made very clear during the I-131 process I should do that and that it will help A LOT!

I have no doubt this is going to be a pain... but through the help on this forum, it's at least been minimised. Thanks again!
Hi:

The I-131 is a good start. Any reason not to file an N-470? You don't mention it. Also, there are the other points that posters made.

You really may want to see that attorney BEFORE you leave.