Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Got a DV-2010 LOTTERY WIN,now what...

Got a DV-2010 LOTTERY WIN,now what...

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:31 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Got a DV-2010 LOTTERY WIN,now what...

Thank you friends for your advice, as always I appreciate your efforts and they do help me very much in my decision making.
If we were to go down the Re-Entry Permit route, how do I go about this, is this done at the airport or a gov.building, and what do I ask for.
My reason for this is 2 fold, the present economy in the US and my wife with the loss of her mum recently, leaving her dad behind, this would give us breathing time in helping her cope better over time, if you see what I mean.
Starky, yes mate, its Florida we are heading for with 294,000 peeps who have no longer health care coverage, and more than that unemployed, Oh the joys
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky
the DV visa has to be issued in the DV fiscal year, so thats before sept 30th 2010. However as soon as you get it on your interview date you will have 6 months to come over and get the ball rolling.
Thanks for confirming that for me, starky. It didn't seem right that travel had to be also within the FY. Sorry if I confused.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radion
If we were to go down the Re-Entry Permit route, how do I go about this, is this done at the airport or a gov.building, and what do I ask for.
After you arrive in the USA, you will file form I-131 by mail. You can go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, All Forms, to find the I-131. You must apply by mail. You will receive a notice to go for biometrics (fingerprinting), and then you are free to leave the USA. You can expect this process to take several weeks.

Rene
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:34 am
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
After you arrive in the USA, you will file form I-131 by mail. You can go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, All Forms, to find the I-131. You must apply by mail. You will receive a notice to go for biometrics (fingerprinting), and then you are free to leave the USA. You can expect this process to take several weeks.

Rene
Cheers for that Rene...your a love
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:51 pm
Wishful thinking...

Guys, Its with a great sadness that I write this post. We have sat and talked about the whole Florida thing and have decided NOT to move, I think this was more a dream of mine than that of my wife's and fully understand her reasons for her views, I was looking for the owned 3 bedroom house, poss. pool, nice car and just another Job, jobs aren't nice but doable. With the economy as it is, the research I have done, and my marriage views, it is an adventure which will stay a dream and poss. haunt me forever, "What if ", so really this is just to say a very big thank you to all who helped me realize just how hard it is to see, and to see clearly. The last 6 months have been an eye opener and has made me dive deep into the real life factors. For the record, it was a house first, weather, lifestyle, and social impact which attracted me to Florida, I cant see us buying here on my wages and being tied to this job as well. Thank you to all for your time and effort with this quest...
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... it is an adventure which will stay a dream and poss. haunt me forever, "What if "...
Sorry to hear it mate! I have a copy of Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" on the wall in my office at work. I look at it day after day and I'm so glad that I took the chance. Try to keep the dream alive if you can. Best of luck for the future!

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

For the record, it was a house first, weather, lifestyle, and social impact which attracted me to Florida, I cant see us buying here on my wages and being tied to this job as well. Thank you to all for your time and effort with this quest...
Well that is a surprise to read, radion!
Not all the details have stuck to me, but I wonder how'd you'd do casting your net further than just Florida to meet your aims.
I know, it's just an awkward time to take a chance. I've sure enjoyed your enthusiasm though, and hope you'll stick around BE!
(and, there some things you can do to drag your feet on this another several months or more if you wanted..)
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:23 pm
Wishful thinking...

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well that is a surprise to read, radion!
Not all the details have stuck to me, but I wonder how'd you'd do casting your net further than just Florida to meet your aims.
I know, it's just an awkward time to take a chance. I've sure enjoyed your enthusiasm though, and hope you'll stick around BE!
(and, there some things you can do to drag your feet on this another several months or more if you wanted..)

Thank you very much Meauxna, you have been such a help and I appreciate it I really do, no, this is dead in the water, I am so sad to see this just walk by, and I know I had it nailed...my dear wife is dead against it and I think I have been led like a fool to be honest, never seen it coming, I do think now that she wanted me to fail at every jump and for that I can never forgive her.
To be honest I suggested going elsewhere to see the effect, but nothing, looks like I will be baby sitting her dad for a long long time
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

l1rz1p is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I just have a confusing question, when i submitted my US DV lottery entry, i put as occupation "Student" No problem, then in Work experience i put that i have worked as a super-market helper and control of any coming marchandise, anyway, does this work experience will help me in my application + being a student or it will effect negatively my application?

Thank you very much
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:11 am
Wishful thinking...

Originally Posted by l1rz1p
Hi,

I just have a confusing question, when i submitted my US DV lottery entry, i put as occupation "Student" No problem, then in Work experience i put that i have worked as a super-market helper and control of any coming marchandise, anyway, does this work experience will help me in my application + being a student or it will effect negatively my application?

Thank you very much
Firstly, are you british, or of a country which qualifies for entry??
Work experience goes on what they feel needs 2yrs study for and work experience in that post, as a student do you have the full high school education required??
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

l1rz1p is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, are you british, or of a country which qualifies for entry??
Work experience goes on what they feel needs 2yrs study for and work experience in that post, as a student do you have the full high school education required??
Hi,
I'm from Morocco, i think i only worked 1 year in summer time, i have full hight school education + 3 years in university studying Law, in our country we call it "Licence" it is BAC + 3