Got Advance Parole......why??

Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got Advance Parole......why??

Originally Posted by Fforeverwaiting
any idea why you were processed so quickly???

Its a new program they're trying out in NYC. People who applied recently have been getting interviews really fast, whereas people who applied years beforehand still haven't gotten theirs. Unfair, I know
Old Oct 17th 2004, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

My lawyer said what the heck apply for AP all they can do is decline it. So I did and I got it and now Im just looking for answers from anybody that has been in a similiar situation as myself.
Boy, it sounds to me like you have an inexperienced attorney. He/she seems to be under the impression that USCIS will not issue you AP unless first determining that you are not subject to a 3/10 year bar. Good grief!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 8:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Boy, it sounds to me like you have an inexperienced attorney. He/she seems to be under the impression that USCIS will not issue you AP unless first determining that you are not subject to a 3/10 year bar. Good grief!
I agree. All too many times it seems USCSI *will* take your money and give you a document (in this case AP) for which you aren't qualified to use. It's almost like USCIS says...well, nothing wrong with issuing it...it's up the user to know whether he/she is eligible to use it without risk.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2004, 2:39 am

Trent is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian,

I love my father too much, either to miss the last few months of his life or to miss his funeral, so my heart will make me go to see him, I think. And whatever the consequences are, whether I knowingly break another immigration law, well so be it.

Thank you all for your concern.
I know it's a very tough decision for you to make but from what I interpret from the Advisory that you posted:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...ory3_24_04.pdf

Above document clearly state the following in the Note section:

"Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, aliens who depart the United States after being unlawfully present in the United States for certain periods can be barred from admission to lawful permanent resident status, even if they have obtained Advance Parole."

From what I understand from the above statement, Advance Parole is safe to use for those who DO NOT have any overstay and their application is currently being processed. But if you have unlawful stay in the US, you will be barred regardless of whether or not you have an AP. That's just my interpretation and I am not any legal expert.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Last edited by Trent; Oct 19th 2004 at 2:45 am.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ndori
Wait Wait wait............ so as an F1 even though I overstayed my visa since graduating in 1999.. if my I 94 valid for "D/S" I am not subjected to the 3-10 years ban??? I never knew that! my lawyer told me it was safer not to apply for AP..and I missed so many events abroad due to this!!!!!!!!!!
Well can I apply for AP now even though I filed in NYC in 2002, already had my interview in May 2004 and my case is still pending due to outstanding security background check??

For students with D/S on their I-94 the illegal presense time doesn't start ticking until an immigration officer or judge makes an official determination that they are out of status. That is, a student may be out of status, but not illegally present. Get it?