Good Staffing Agencies in NYC

Old Aug 25th 2003, 5:47 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Good Staffing Agencies in NYC

Hi folks,

Well, after a few months of job hunting under my own steam, sending out countless hundreds of cover letters and resumes to obscure classified ads in the sunday new york times, and throwing my resume and time into the blackhole that is online job application, I've decided to give temp agencies a try.

I signed up with one general agency for general office duties last month, AppleOne, which predictably, has brought nothing. During my interview there, I was told in no uncertain terms that without US employment experience, few employers would be willing to hire me.
It's a very frustrating catch-22. Deep down, I feel certain once I get something, then more opportunities will gradually open.

What I'm looking for are temp agencies in the city or queens/brooklyn that are experienced in, or specialize in dealing with those of us on EADs, ect, and who, lacking in US employment experience, are still looking for our first job.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by nathan barley; Aug 25th 2003 at 5:49 am.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 6:01 am
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Staffing Agencies in NYC

Originally posted by nathan barley
During my interview there, I was told in no uncertain terms that without US employment experience, few employers would be willing to hire me.
Did you ask them why so many foreign workers get hired under H1-B? Those people have never had an US employment experience either I'm sure.

What the hell can be so different about working in the USA? (other than the pathetic holiday entitlements)
Old Aug 25th 2003, 6:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Staffing Agencies in NYC

Originally posted by tbiller
Did you ask them why so many foreign workers get hired under H1-B? Those people have never had an US employment experience either I'm sure.

What the hell can be so different about working in the USA? (other than the pathetic holiday entitlements)
Probably because they are specialize fields and fields in which the industries have convinced Congress there were not enough capable US citizen workers to fill the jobs that were vacant.

Nat, a lot depends on what you are going to be doing. General office work doesn't say what you are really qualified for. I've always used Career Blazers myself when looking for employment. They are large with several offices in Manhattan and the outer limits. I know WP people are always in demand in large law firms in Manhattan. We just had three spots filled recently. Granted some are part time (25 hours a week) but the money isn't bad and it is step in obtaining that US experience needed.

Good luck

Rete
Old Aug 25th 2003, 6:26 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I had the 'luck' in choosing animation and video game design for my university undergrad degree. I should have carried on with Chemical Engineering and financial studies like I did in college, instead. What's stopping me getting a job in that field at the moment, bar the sparsity of games companies in NYC, is a lack of portfolio of work.

My whole cunning plan was to use temp work to save some money up to buy suitable hardware, and then develop my portfolio in my spare time; then, after our AOS is done, and things are a little less restrictive, start hitting the companies in my chosen field for jobs. It's that or go back to college I'll have a look at CareerBlazers Rete, thanks, as I have no issues with p/t work atm, at least it's something, plus the wife likes me being at home in a cage

tbiller - I guess they're scared I'm going to do a runner and leave the country two weeks after starting, or that I am unable to read or speak, or something
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Osric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default animation

have you checked out some of the sites for your field? These site ocassionally have game/animation related work in NYC:

http://www.2-pop.com/ubbthreads/post...at=&Board=jobs

http://www.mandy.com/

As for temp agencies, I am suprised they even ask about the EAD. I'm not even sure they legally have the right to question the specifics of your work status absent a job offer, but I'm sure many do so regardless.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 2:54 am
Corpsicle

Default Re: animation

Originally posted by Osric
As for temp agencies, I am suprised they even ask about the EAD. I'm not even sure they legally have the right to question the specifics of your work status absent a job offer, but I'm sure many do so regardless.
Thanks for the links.

When I went to see them, they asked to see proof of work eligibility, which I guess was fine, they need to establish that. It's just the fact as the guy said, that many employers would be unwilling to hire, even on a temp basis, someone unknown who does not have US work experience.
At this rate, I'll be going to K-Mart down the road. Getting fed up of being stuck at home.

Last edited by nathan barley; Aug 26th 2003 at 2:58 am.