Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Going to US on Visa Waiver, may want to change my return flight when I get there...

Going to US on Visa Waiver, may want to change my return flight when I get there...

Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Sc09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to US on Visa Waiver, may want to change my return flight when I get there...

Hi, I was recently in the US for 6 weeks (from July to Mid-August) and met a girl there. I am planning to go back next week for 2 weeks to spend some more time with her.
However, she recently said I could stay for a couple of weeks longer if I liked.
If I go there with a return ticket for 2 weeks later will they only grant me entry for 2 weeks? Should I tell them that I may change my return flight depending on how things go, or is this not a good idea?
I'm scared enough of being denied entry for going back to soon so I don't know what to do.
I definitely do not want to get into any trouble or break any immigration laws.

Thanks in advance for the help, I would really appreciate it.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to US on Visa Waiver, may want to change my return flight when I get there.

Originally Posted by Sc09
Hi, I was recently in the US for 6 weeks (from July to Mid-August) and met a girl there. I am planning to go back next week for 2 weeks to spend some more time with her.
However, she recently said I could stay for a couple of weeks longer if I liked.
If I go there with a return ticket for 2 weeks later will they only grant me entry for 2 weeks? Should I tell them that I may change my return flight depending on how things go, or is this not a good idea?
I'm scared enough of being denied entry for going back to soon so I don't know what to do.
I definitely do not want to get into any trouble or break any immigration laws.

Thanks in advance for the help, I would really appreciate it.
The VWP gets you 90 days, no matter what your return flight says. It is OK to change your flight to a later date once you're inside the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Going to US on Visa Waiver, may want to change my return flight when I get there.

Thanks for your post, however I read that CBP can limit your stay to less than 90 days when you arrive.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your post, however I read that CBP can limit your stay to less than 90 days when you arrive.
Can, very rarely do.

I also changed my return flight.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If they end up limiting you to less than 90 days, then you can change your flight so that it leaves a couple of days before your I-94W expires.

Rene
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Well my trip is currently planned for only for 2 weeks anyway. But I may like to stay for longer.
How rare is it having your stay limited? I was already worried that they could deny me entry for coming back so soon. (2 weeks later) This is just something else for me to worry about
Should I tell them that I may stay for another few weeks, just incase? Or will they tell me if they're only going to grant me entry for 2 weeks, and then maybe I could explain to them, or would they think this suspicious and then not grant me entry at all!? So many things could go wrong
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:51 pm

Well my trip is currently planned for only for 2 weeks anyway. But I may like to stay for longer.
How rare is it having your stay limited? I was already worried that they could deny me entry for coming back so soon. (2 weeks later) This is just something else for me to worry about
Should I tell them that I may stay for another few weeks, just incase? Or will they tell me if they're only going to grant me entry for 2 weeks, and then maybe I could explain to them, or would they think this suspicious and then not grant me entry at all!? So many things could go wrong
Only answer the questions asked at the POE, don't offer further information. I believe it's pretty rare not to get the full 90 days.

Although only a 2-week break in between visits probably was not the wisest choice...but the only way to find out is to go and see what happens at the POE.

Rene
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How is it that you get so much time off from whatever you are doing at home?
You just had six weeks in the US (for what?), were home for two weeks and are now coming back for two (maybe more) weeks.
These are legitimate questions that can come up.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
How is it that you get so much time off from whatever you are doing at home?
You just had six weeks in the US (for what?), were home for two weeks and are now coming back for two (maybe more) weeks.
These are legitimate questions that can come up.
I left college earlier this year and don't currently have a job.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:18 pm

I left college earlier this year and don't currently have a job.
What will you bring to the POE to show your ties back home, in case they ask?

Rene
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my missus were in US for 2 weeks. I got 90 days entry and my wife 6 months (she is non Australian Passport holder)....