Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Nefertiti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Again thanks everyone for the info. But you don't have to get cheeky about it or cynical with your answers. (Hence above reply). Some people just don't know, thus ask advice from other people who have gone through the same process.

I think I have received enough answers.

Thanks to everyone who has helped.

Nefertiti
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nefertiti
But you don't have to get cheeky about it or cynical with your answers. (Hence above reply).
Oh I know!
That was a bonus one, no extra charge!

Good luck with your natz.. like the husband says 'It's cool to be dual'.
(he's *such* a dork!)
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Good luck with your natz.. like the husband says 'It's cool to be dual'. (he's *such* a dork!)
Or, as I have said on occasion... "it's hip to be trip!" Of course, in those moments, Sheila looks at me as though I've suddenly grown a third eye in the middle of my forehead... then shakes her head and sighs.

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Or, as I have said on occasion... "it's hip to be trip!" Of course, in those moments, Sheila looks at me as though I've suddenly grown a third eye in the middle of my forehead... then shakes her head and sighs.

Ian
oy vey, a dorkus in a kilt.. even worse! <g>
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It's not rocket surgery.
Damn! That's a dangerous way to earn a living!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

WolvesNM is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what else you want.. there is no 'story' to it. My UKC husband lived here for the required amount of time, paid his money, took his test and swore his oath.
His UK passport is in the drawer, next to his US passport. When we go to the UK or EW countries, he uses the UK pp. When he enters the US, her returns as a US citizen and uses his US pp.

It's not rocket surgery. Read Rich Wales' excellent FAQ (already linked for you) to answer your most frequently asked questions.

Thousands have done it.
If a US citizen enters England, their passport is date stamped. If I enter UK on my UK passport, my US passport won't get stamped. So if I come back in to the US on my US passport will they question why I don't have a date stamp?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:49 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WolvesNM

Last edited by DollyLlama; Jul 19th 2007 at 3:52 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

WolvesNM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
I have never been questioned about not having a date stamp on my US passport.
Thanks,
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So if I come back in to the US on my US passport will they question why I don't have a date stamp?
No... and why should they? You did not enter the UK using your US passport. This is perfectly normal and happens all the time.

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:44 am
Just Joined

LynneD1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nefertiti
Hi there fellow Brits!

I have found much discussion on people going through US Naturalization process and being worried about having to forfeit their british passport. I too am going through this process. I have my interview and civics test on July 24th 2007. But as many Brits before me I have a few concerns, especially giving up my british passport. Now as far as I have researched on web sites such as findlaw.com and and the official Britain/USA embassy web site, that dual citizenship is allowed.

I would love to hear from fellow brits who have gone through the process and are dual nationals and hear their experiences and what they went through to obtain dual nationality.

When I visited my local USCIS office, the immigrations officer told me that I do not have to give my passport because the country which I was born still recognizes me as a british national. Also that when I leave the country I have to travel with both passports. The US passport to leave the country and enter back. And the british one to enter and leave the UK.

Please help! I would love to hear some other experiences and advice!

Cheers
I became a US citizen about 1988. I did not give up my UK passport and, infact have had to renue it several times since then. There are large trash cans at the naturalization ceremony where you are supposed to/asked to deposit your old country's passports - and some people did,and some didn't. My children were all born in the US (US father) and they all have both US and UK passports. We frequently travel into the UK on our Brit passports (and all your US friends/family can go thru' the UK citizens lines at immigration with you when you're entering the UK) and we travel back on our US passports. The US immigration officers give us a knowing look when they see we do not have UK entry stamps in our US passports and ask if we have 2 passports. It's all allowed - you can have both passports legally.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:08 pm
L D Jones

LynneD1 wrote:
>> Hi there fellow Brits!
>>
>> I have found much discussion on people going through US Naturalization
>> process and being worried about having to forfeit their british
>> passport. I too am going through this process. I have my interview and
>> civics test on July 24th 2007. But as many Brits before me I have a
>> few concerns, especially giving up my british passport. Now as far as
>> I have researched on web sites such as findlaw.com and and the
>> official Britain/USA embassy web site, that dual citizenship is
>> allowed.
>>
>> I would love to hear from fellow brits who have gone through the
>> process and are dual nationals and hear their experiences and what
>> they went through to obtain dual nationality.
>>
>> When I visited my local USCIS office, the immigrations officer told me
>> that I do not have to give my passport because the country which I was
>> born still recognizes me as a british national. Also that when I leave
>> the country I have to travel with both passports. The US passport to
>> leave the country and enter back. And the british one to enter and
>> leave the UK.
>>
>> Please help! I would love to hear some other experiences and advice!
>>
>> Cheers
>
> I became a US citizen about 1988. I did not give up my UK passport and,
> infact have had to renue it several times since then. There are large
> trash cans at the naturalization ceremony where you are supposed
> to/asked to deposit your old country's passports - and some people

Really? I attended my wife's naturalization ceremony and didn't see any
of these trash cans. It's not clear the US govt has the authority to
take the passports at all (I don't think they do). Besides, the passport
isn't technically owned by the person whose photo is on it.

Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:43 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

So if I come back in to the US on my US passport will they question why I don't have a date stamp?
Keep it simple... just tell them that UK immigration didn't stamp it. And if they ask why not, just tell them you never asked UK immigration why they didn't.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:58 am
Joe Feise

L D Jones wrote on 07/23/07 13:08:

>> I became a US citizen about 1988. I did not give up my UK passport and,
>> infact have had to renue it several times since then. There are large
>> trash cans at the naturalization ceremony where you are supposed
>> to/asked to deposit your old country's passports - and some people
>
> Really? I attended my wife's naturalization ceremony and didn't see any
> of these trash cans.

There are smallish bins where the GC and reentry permits go. Reentry permits
look like passports, so that's where the notion of dropping a passport may have
come from.
Visitors at the ceremonies, at least here in LA, can't get near that area where
these bins are.

> It's not clear the US govt has the authority to
> take the passports at all (I don't think they do). Besides, the passport
> isn't technically owned by the person whose photo is on it.

Passports are the property of the issuing country. Unless the US government has
an agreement with the owner, i.e., the issuing country, or a court order, they
can not take it. It would be theft.
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Allaboutharry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks for the great tips! I just found this site, and I too am about to start the US citizenship process (I'm a bit scared for some reason) although I have no reason to be!

One quick question, does anyone recommend a lawyer to look over my paperwork? I don't have any criminal issues etc, it's all very straight-forward, and the natz form looks that way too...what's your advice?

Last edited by Allaboutharry; Jul 24th 2007 at 2:50 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allaboutharry
Hi All,

Thanks for the great tips! I just found this site, and I too am about to start the US citizenship process (I'm a bit scared for some reason) although I have no reason to be!

One quick question, does anyone recommend a lawyer to look over my paperwork? I don't have any criminal issues etc, it's all very straight-forward, and the natz form looks that way too...what's your advice?
You don't need a lawyer.

Read the guide to naturalization. Carefully.

And memorise the answers to the 100 questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.