Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Nefertiti is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Hi there fellow Brits!

I have found much discussion on people going through US Naturalization process and being worried about having to forfeit their british passport. I too am going through this process. I have my interview and civics test on July 24th 2007. But as many Brits before me I have a few concerns, especially giving up my british passport. Now as far as I have researched on web sites such as findlaw.com and and the official Britain/USA embassy web site, that dual citizenship is allowed.

I would love to hear from fellow brits who have gone through the process and are dual nationals and hear their experiences and what they went through to obtain dual nationality.

When I visited my local USCIS office, the immigrations officer told me that I do not have to give my passport because the country which I was born still recognizes me as a british national. Also that when I leave the country I have to travel with both passports. The US passport to leave the country and enter back. And the british one to enter and leave the UK.

Please help! I would love to hear some other experiences and advice!

Cheers
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Originally Posted by Nefertiti
Hi there fellow Brits!

I have found much discussion on people going through US Naturalization process and being worried about having to forfeit their british passport. I too am going through this process. I have my interview and civics test on July 24th 2007. But as many Brits before me I have a few concerns, especially giving up my british passport. Now as far as I have researched on web sites such as findlaw.com and and the official Britain/USA embassy web site, that dual citizenship is allowed.

I would love to hear from fellow brits who have gone through the process and are dual nationals and hear their experiences and what they went through to obtain dual nationality.

When I visited my local USCIS office, the immigrations officer told me that I do not have to give my passport because the country which I was born still recognizes me as a british national. Also that when I leave the country I have to travel with both passports. The US passport to leave the country and enter back. And the british one to enter and leave the UK.

Cheers
You don't need to do anything. Use your US passport to enter the US, and the passport that gives you least hassle for elsewhere. Read www.richw.org/dualcit for more info.

Last edited by fatbrit; Jul 9th 2007 at 11:30 pm. Reason: url tidied!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

How do I get more hits from fellow viewers for a answer to my question?

Nefertiti
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Nefertiti
A little patience might help. Also, search site

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...al+citizenship

etc, etc
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nefertiti

Patience? Also you can visit the wiki for US naturalization and do a search on BE for naturalization. It is all there for just the looking.

There are people here with not 2 but 3 or 4 citizenships. My husband has only two, Canadian and American. One girl had citizenship in Ireland, British, American, and Canada. Another regular poster has British, Canadian and American.

What do you want to know. You really didn't ask a question.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Thanks for the tips Fatbrit

Nef.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
A little patience might help. Also, search site

etc, etc
Damn now I have to give you karma for the same answer as me. Shoot!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Replying to Karma,

Hi there my original question was as follows:

Hi there fellow Brits!

Cheers
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:33 pm
Concierge

The process has not changed and is no different for anyone regardless of nationality.

Just so you know, the US immigration forums are not limited to BE. The propogate to the worldwide Usenet. So you post is seen by everyone in the world and not just British nationals.

The experiences might seem old but the process has not changed over the years. So you might want to check out the following experience site.

http://www.skyweb.net/~rlls/intro/natexp.html

Last edited by Rete; Jul 9th 2007 at 11:36 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:44 pm
Septicity

Also that when I leave the country I have to travel with both passports. The US passport to leave the country and enter back. And the british one to enter and leave the UK.
Strictly speaking, you could enter the UK on your US passport if the thought of using 2 passports is too much for you. Of course, there's always a chance you could be refused entry for a myriad of reasons (none of which are to do with your dual citizenship), an event which would certainly be interesting if possibly a little irritating for you. You can't, of course, play this amusing game the other way round.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a UK citizen by birth. To become a Canadian citizen, I applied for Canadian citizenship. To become a US citizen, I applied for US citizenship. Other than an easy interview each time, you don't have to go through anything to obtain dual citizenship. I use my Canadian passport when I enter Canada, my US passport when I enter the US, and my UK passport when I enter the UK. I'm not sure what else you're looking for... there's nothing magical or mysterious about any of this.

While it is illegal in some countries to have more than one citizenship, that isn't true of Canada, the US, or the UK.

Ian
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:58 am

On Jul 9, 5:54 pm, Nefertiti <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi there fellow Brits!
>
> I have found much discussion on people going through US Naturalization
> process and being worried about having to forfeit their british
> passport. I too am going through this process. I have my interview and
> civics test on July 24th 2007. But as many Brits before me I have a few
> concerns, especially giving up my british passport. Now as far as I have
> researched on web sites such as findlaw.com and and the official
> Britain/USA embassy web site, that dual citizenship is allowed.
>
> I would love to hear from fellow brits who have gone through the process
> and are dual nationals and hear their experiences and what they went
> through to obtain dual nationality.
>
> When I visited my local USCIS office, the immigrations officer told me
> that I do not have to give my passport because the country which I was
> born still recognizes me as a british national. Also that when I leave
> the country I have to travel with both passports. The US passport to
> leave the country and enter back. And the british one to enter and
> leave the UK.

Well that's what my mother did yesterday. She is a naturalized US
citizen who is still regarded as being British by Britain, so when she
travelled to the UK she entered on her British passport, and yesterday
when she returned to the US, she entered using her US passport.

You don't have to do anything special to acquire dual nationality. It
will happen automatically, because Britain does not view the
renunciation that is made when becoming a US citizen as having any
effect under British law, so your British citizenship is not lost when
you become a US citizen.

Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone so far who has given some helpful tips and info! I appreciate the advice so far. I guess all it was is that I was hearing rumors about giving up ones passport in the interview. But from what I am reading you don't have to.

Thanks!

Nefertiti
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone so far who has given some helpful tips and info! I appreciate the advice so far. I guess all it was is that I was hearing rumors about giving up ones passport in the interview. But from what I am reading you don't have to.

Thanks!

Nefertiti
No, you dont have to.
But have you seen the prices now for renewing our old Uk ones. Its outrageous.
Good luck with the test .
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what else you want.. there is no 'story' to it. My UKC husband lived here for the required amount of time, paid his money, took his test and swore his oath.
His UK passport is in the drawer, next to his US passport. When we go to the UK or EW countries, he uses the UK pp. When he enters the US, her returns as a US citizen and uses his US pp.

It's not rocket surgery. Read Rich Wales' excellent FAQ (already linked for you) to answer your most frequently asked questions.

Thousands have done it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.