Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Going to States for travelling. Chances of finding a job?

Wikiposts

Going to States for travelling. Chances of finding a job?

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:44 am
Just Joined

redryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to States for travelling. Chances of finding a job?

Hi,

I'm going to do a tour of the around September next year. I imagine the trip will want to make me stay there. Am I likely to find a job out there? I'm aware I can't work out there without an additional visa but have people often gone over to the States on vaction or recreation and managed to get job offers?

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited by Rete; Oct 22nd 2010 at 12:57 am. Reason: Sorry, Ryan, but it is "there" not "their"
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:51 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to States for travelling. Chances of finding a job?

How long is a piece of string?

Without specifics of what you do, qualifications, experience etc., we can't answer.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it happens often. Have you at least looked at the job guide for the H-1B visa? Do you qualify? Do you have a degree?

Many places I have traveled to on vacation have had me wishing to live there but I'm realist enough to know that every place appears to be ideal while on vacation.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 22nd 2010 at 12:59 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:57 am
Just Joined

redryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry. New to this.

25 with a degree in History (2:1). Currently an admin team leader at finance company in the city of London. I'm not really to bothered about what job I did I would just love to work in the States or Canada for a year or two. Always have but I'm very confused by all the legal/visa jargon.

H-1B visa?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest since you apparently haven't read it already that you click on the How To Live and Work in the US at the start of the US forums for a guide.

H-1B work visa

Ryan in June of 2009, you were on BE seeking answers to questions as to how you can live and work in Australia for a year or two. I guess that didn't pan out for you.

If you want to live and work in the US for a year or two, please note that it is not all that easy to do so especially with only a degree in History. That certainly doesn't open up any avenues for a work visa for you. You are only 25 now so you don't have the required years of work experience to override the lack of a degree in an area listed on the H-1B job guide.

Have you thought about perhaps just doing a J-1 visa? Sorry but you will have to learn the legal jargon. There is no way around it.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I moved the thread. I presume if you find a job, you'll want to be able to accept it.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have a degree, you do admin, not that difficult.

(O Level History Failed, sad story)