Going Native?

Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough
Default Going Native?

When I first moved to the US, I suddenly became much more aware of my heritage and proud of my nationality. It probably had something to do with the nationalist attitude of the state I found myself in.

I mellowed a little over the years and slowly found myself needing less imported foods but, while eligible, I chose not to become naturalised for several years. Visits to the UK always ended with a feeling of not wanting to leave.

Last year, I saw enough changes in the UK (and my home town in particular) that I didn't feel a part of it any more. Now I'm in a tiny mountain town where I feel like I belong. I'll always be British (a piece of paper can't change that), but I'm Coloradoan first. This is finally home. I still can't say tomato, basil, banana or yoghurt like the natives, but I'm pretty close to being one of them.

Does anyone else feel that they've gone native? How long did it take?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Native?

Originally Posted by HighCountry
When I first moved to the US, I suddenly became much more aware of my heritage and proud of my nationality. It probably had something to do with the nationalist attitude of the state I found myself in.

I mellowed a little over the years and slowly found myself needing less imported foods but, while eligible, I chose not to become naturalised for several years. Visits to the UK always ended with a feeling of not wanting to leave.

Last year, I saw enough changes in the UK (and my home town in particular) that I didn't feel a part of it any more. Now I'm in a tiny mountain town where I feel like I belong. I'll always be British (a piece of paper can't change that), but I'm Coloradoan first. This is finally home. I still can't say tomato, basil, banana or yoghurt like the natives, but I'm pretty close to being one of them.

Question From US Immigration Agent to Me, at Sault Ste Marie Border Crossing, last year:

"You have been a Permanent Resident for 16 years now, isn't it about time you got your US Citizenship?"

My Reply:

Will that lead to you asking me fewer questions next time I cross the Border?"

His Response:

"Probably not"

My Reply:

"I think I will stay as I am, then"

His Parting Words;

"Have a Nice Day"
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

I think those people are selected by their ability to start arguments. I never met one that didn't have an attitude.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in the US for 25 years, most of it in Boston and I now have US citizenship, but I'll always be British.....the US thing is mostly a matter of convenience, to protect my SS benefits and so I can vote.

I definitely have a soft spot for Boston, and feel completely at home here, but I don't feel warm and fuzzy for the rest of the US.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

No, I haven't. The UK is still 'home', this is just where I eat and sleep.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

5 minutes. :-)
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I got citizenship a few years ago, but never felt at home in MA. I don't know whether it was the people or the place we lived in or me. Now we are in CO and it feels like home, at least most of the time. I think I will always retain that bit of Britishness, be it 5% or 50%. Britain is now a place to visit and not really home any more, although we still have some family there.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think those people are selected by their ability to start arguments. I never met one that didn't have an attitude.
We came into Boston last week from Heathrow, and we got what looked like a bad one.. a mean-looking old guy who was barking questions at us (tobacco? alcohol? fruit or dairy? were you only in the UK or any other countries?) Then he handed our passports back with the laconic greeting "Welcome home." Made me feel all warm and fuzzy about the US.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
"You have been a Permanent Resident for 16 years now, isn't it about time you got your US Citizenship?"
I got that exact line when I came back from England a few months ago. Delivered in a way that i assume was meant to make me feel guilty or something.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Went to see my parents in England a few months ago. Being in my old hometown was weird, lots of little changes. As soon as I got back to the US I felt much more comfortable. That was when I realised that this is my real home. Lived here more more than five years now.

Not a citizen yet, but seriously considering it.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

spouse got in last night from Heathrow to Boston, and was held up 30 mins because person in front in the line (queue!) was interrogated, then apparently arrested and deported. INS agent's comment: 'believe me, you didn't want him in town'. Surprised they didn't do this in the separate inquisition room they have for waterboarding, I mean, these interviews.

Anyway, she's so at home she thinks she was American in a former life. After 25 years, with two passports, I can still feel stateless and rootless...
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:03 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We came into Boston last week from Heathrow, and we got what looked like a bad one.. a mean-looking old guy who was barking questions at us (tobacco? alcohol? fruit or dairy? were you only in the UK or any other countries?) Then he handed our passports back with the laconic greeting "Welcome home." Made me feel all warm and fuzzy about the US.
They're mostly sweeties in Boston. Must have done 50 entries there over the last 10 years, ranging from VWP, L1, GC and now citizen, and never had anything like a hard time. Mostly we joke about why I'm bringing baked beans in.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
They're mostly sweeties in Boston. Must have done 50 entries there over the last 10 years, ranging from VWP, L1, GC and now citizen, and never had anything like a hard time. Mostly we joke about why I'm bringing baked beans in.
Still can't decide about Boston. I love the place, lived there many years... Are people from Boston (a) total moronic twats or (b) sweeties (to use your characterization.) My wife can't stand them, but she's from NYC.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to think that I'm not a complete cumdumpsteringcrunt, so no, not a Mass native.

Feel more of a Main-ah given the two states I've lived in....but hardly a native.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Never had a pleasant experience of Logan, neither has the missus and she's the yank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.