Going Native?

Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all
Default Re: Going Native?

my understanding was that after 9/11, they stopped renewing green cards automatically. That was a spur to go for citizenship. And our son would be going to university in a few years, and who knows what he might experiment with. We were hearing stories of people being deported for tiny misdemeanors from years ago.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidtheprof
my understanding was that after 9/11, they stopped renewing green cards automatically. That was a spur to go for citizenship. And our son would be going to university in a few years, and who knows what he might experiment with. We were hearing stories of people being deported for tiny misdemeanors from years ago.
I think that your understanding of this is somewhat muddled.

Green Cards issued between 1979 and 1988 did not have an expiration date on them and did not need to be reviewed. The 10 year cards that needed to be renewed were introduced around 1988 - long before 9/11 (and, of course, even though the cards expire the status of LPR does not).
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

Originally Posted by md95065

Green Cards issued between 1979 and 1988 did not have an expiration date on them and did not need to be reviewed. The 10 year cards that needed to be renewed were introduced around 1988 - long before 9/11 (and, of course, even though the cards expire the status of LPR does not).
we got our green cards around 1994, so they did have 10 year expiration dates. The point is that after 9/11, there was considerable chatter that they might not be automatically renewed.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidtheprof
The point is that after 9/11, there was considerable chatter that they might not be automatically renewed.
... which, as I am sure you are aware, did not come to pass ...
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

... which, as I am sure you are aware, did not come to pass ...
I don't know if there were cases of non-renewal of green cards, but there were definitely some deportations for trivial offenses. We never looked back, once we knew we were here for keeps, we took the jump to citizenship, and we wanted to be able to vote and full participation, and all that...
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Just being picky but actually it was 1989