To Go Or Not?

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 12:12 am
Just Joined

TheChangingMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Go Or Not?

Greetings everyone. I'm from Birmingham but have been living in the north of Thailand for the last five years. Married to a wonderful Thai woman and together we now have a two month old boy.

I've been thinking for quite some time about us all returning to the UK, but can't seem to make up my mind what is best. It's not for the lack of time to think either, as I (we) don't work, instead living off the proceeds from selling my house three years ago.

Life here is very quiet. We live about 10 miles outside a smallish nothern town, and well off the tourist trail. It's of course also much, much cheaper than the UK, so the small profit made can last a considerable time. However, it won't last forever, and one day soon we'll need to make some income.

Basically the only choice for work here is in the tourist industry or teaching English, but having done a little of both neither really floats my boat. I did have a career before leaving the UK (pensions admin), but the last time I had any real employment was back in 1998/9.

So you could say I'm a little out of the loop.

My parents would dearly love the three of us to return to the UK, and have offered to help us in any way they can, but having once made the decision to sell up and leave there's a certain sense of failure attached to going back. Not that I ever came here to make my first million, but more the acknowledment that I was never really going to be able to pull off retiring at age 30 either.

I guess I'm just a bit nervous about re-joining the rat race after a nice 5 year break, and wonder if I'll be able to cope
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:36 am
Gremlin

Default Re: To Go Or Not?

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
I guess I'm just a bit nervous about re-joining the rat race after a nice 5 year break, and wonder if I'll be able to cope
Plenty of mums manage after a period of prolonged absence from the workplace. A lot only go back to work when their child starts school at the age of 4-5 years. They seem to cope; so will you. And you won't have all the problems that having young children and working brings, so it should be easier.

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:53 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I will take time to ajust after returning from overseas, especially from a wonderful place like Thailand. I lived overseas for 18 months, although it was difficult to begin with (returning to the UK), it's amazing how quickly you slot back into life in the UK.

What about setting up your own business there? There must be more than teaching and the tourist industry to look at.

Good luck in making your decision.

Claire
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 3:06 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be most concerned at how your wife will adjust to the UK if she hasn't lived
there before. Why don't you take your parents up on the offer of help and
come to the UK for an extended vacation, say 3 or 4 months, to see if it
will work out.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 5:58 am
Just Joined

TheChangingMan is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been there together twice, each time for a month, and my wife has generally adapted very well. She has a few Thai friends there too, so wouldn't be totally without someone to talk to. To be honest she has no qualms about going and adjusting to life (except maybe for the winters ). The problem is more mine, perhaps because I am more aware of the basic cost of living and necessity to be working.

We've talked many times about starting a business here, but each time we seem to have hit hurdles, often simply because of my status as a non-native, and reluctance to work for meagre wages. Or perhaps just reluctance to work full stop.

Having a few quid in the bank and knowing that it could last another couple of years is no real motivation to go and make more. At least not when one of the main reasons for coming here was to be able to not work.

But it's been a good few years and we've relished being free of the daily grind, so in that respect I'm not complaining about our situation. Like another poster said elsewhere, "I have the T-shirt", just that maybe the novelty has worn off a bit and it's time to go home.

Plus there are some things about life in Thailand that get to me, as with all expats wherever they may end up, and sometimes I really do miss some of the things I took for granted for so long in the UK.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
We've been there together twice, each time for a month, and my wife has generally adapted very well. She has a few Thai friends there too, so wouldn't be totally without someone to talk to. To be honest she has no qualms about going and adjusting to life (except maybe for the winters ). The problem is more mine, perhaps because I am more aware of the basic cost of living and necessity to be working.

We've talked many times about starting a business here, but each time we seem to have hit hurdles, often simply because of my status as a non-native, and reluctance to work for meagre wages. Or perhaps just reluctance to work full stop.

Having a few quid in the bank and knowing that it could last another couple of years is no real motivation to go and make more. At least not when one of the main reasons for coming here was to be able to not work.

But it's been a good few years and we've relished being free of the daily grind, so in that respect I'm not complaining about our situation. Like another poster said elsewhere, "I have the T-shirt", just that maybe the novelty has worn off a bit and it's time to go home.

Plus there are some things about life in Thailand that get to me, as with all expats wherever they may end up, and sometimes I really do miss some of the things I took for granted for so long in the UK.
My cousin is married to a Thai lady and he now owns a bar and a restaurant in Chang Mai, he invested the money but I am sure everything is in her name. He has lived there for years and seems very happy. Because that area is popular I would imagine he gets his fill of Europeans but at the end of the day his house and his day to day life is away from the toursit area and so he can immerse himself in the Thai culture. Best of both worlds.

If you have a few quid in the bank why not invest in something before its all spent and you are left with no choices? Good Luck