Go on, ask me a question..

Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Go on, ask me a question..

Anything ya like..

Well, within the realms of the Tax world would be advantages for this exercise. First day in the office tomorrow and well.. I'm bricking it
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:03 am
Banned

katieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Go on, ask me a question..

Originally Posted by sambapink
Anything ya like..

Well, within the realms of the Tax world would be advantages for this exercise. First day in the office tomorrow and well.. I'm bricking it
OK here it is -

Can I put the car into expenses on SE or C, or do I just use gas receipts as it's a second vehicle, and was placed in the 'gas only' portion originally.

Last edited by katieuk; Jan 14th 2009 at 3:05 am. Reason: Mixed up itemized deductions with business expenses
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katieuk
OK here it is -

Can I put the car into expenses on SE or C, or do I just use gas receipts as it's a second vehicle, and was placed in the 'gas only' portion originally.
Rigggggghhhtt.. So, this is a vehicle used for business use? And are you self employed? And what are you asking to claim.. business mileage?

And can you come back tomorrow so I can research
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:38 am
Banned

katieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=sambapink;7164940]Rigggggghhhtt.. So, this is a vehicle used for business use? And are you self employed? And what are you asking to claim.. business mileage?

And can you come back tomorrow so I can research [/QUOTE

We're self-employed and use a van and a car. The van is on Actual Expenses. But - for some reason, we can only use the car for mileage. That wasn't a problem up until this year, but now the expenses are far greater than the mileage allowance. I'm looking for a sneaky way to use expenses over mileage on both vehicles.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question......

Does my bum look big in these new Jeans???
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have a question......

Does my bum look big in these new Jeans???
Absolutely not me darlin' I'm better at those sorta questions!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=katieuk;7164964]
Rigggggghhhtt.. So, this is a vehicle used for business use? And are you self employed? And what are you asking to claim.. business mileage?

And can you come back tomorrow so I can research [/QUOTE

We're self-employed and use a van and a car. The van is on Actual Expenses. But - for some reason, we can only use the car for mileage. That wasn't a problem up until this year, but now the expenses are far greater than the mileage allowance. I'm looking for a sneaky way to use expenses over mileage on both vehicles.

Well firstly make sure your claiming every expense that your allowed to.. see if you can get a copy (if you already haven't got one) of a schedule C.. Go line by line and make sure you are claiming everything you can. Although ofcourse your tax professional should be asking all the right questions in the first place to make sure you do get all your entitled too! ( look at things like depreciation/depletion - all of which I have little or no knowledge of, sorry!).
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all

What's the weather like in southern Cal right now?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Anything ya like..

I am LPR, wife is USC. We moved to Edinburgh in Oct 2007. We both work in the UK for UK companies. We will be filing our 2008 US taxes soon.

We will be paying about $2000 in income tax based on some consulting work I did for a US company in January that I was paid for in the US.

So my question - if there's a tax rebate thing like last year's $600 will we receive it?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by notacrime
I am LPR, wife is USC. We moved to Edinburgh in Oct 2007. We both work in the UK for UK companies. We will be filing our 2008 US taxes soon.

We will be paying about $2000 in income tax based on some consulting work I did for a US company in January that I was paid for in the US.

So my question - if there's a tax rebate thing like last year's $600 will we receive it?
As far as I am aware there isn't another Stimulus package this year. If you received your Stimulus Payment last year (based on your 2007 return) then thats it. I think one of the criteria is that you had to be a full year resident - but i'll check that.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:08 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I had a baby this year, am I right to assume the extra allowance for the extra dependent is pro-rated from when she was born?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:11 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

1. Nice easy one - who sends us the stuff we need to do our taxes - IRS or DH's work and when should we expect it by?

2. We get help with our taxes the first year - yay! - so what should we take with us when we go to see these folks?

3. Will we have to do anything for the Inland Revenue back home? DH has been employed here since 12th April 2008.

Thanks SP
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zargof
My wife and I had a baby this year, am I right to assume the extra allowance for the extra dependent is pro-rated from when she was born?
By this year do you mean 2009? And do you mean the $300 child related Stimulus?

If baby was born in 2008 and has a SS# then you would be entitled to the $300 payment.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:29 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

By this year do you mean 2009? And do you mean the $300 child related Stimulus?

If baby was born in 2008 and has a SS# then you would be entitled to the $300 payment.
No, I mean when you fill out the W4 it asks for the number of dependents as part of how much tax is withheld. So when you file your taxes at the end of the year you also state the number of dependents, and if the number is higher when you file then you get a refund, if it is lower then you owe taxes (OK it's not quite that simple, but let's assume it is for this). So, if the number of dependents changes during the year, is the amount of tax refunded pro-rated from when this change occurred (in this case, when my daughter was born)?

Good to know about the extra $300 from the stimulus, thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
1. Nice easy one - who sends us the stuff we need to do our taxes - IRS or DH's work and when should we expect it by?

2. We get help with our taxes the first year - yay! - so what should we take with us when we go to see these folks?

3. Will we have to do anything for the Inland Revenue back home? DH has been employed here since 12th April 2008.

Thanks SP
1. When you say 'stuff' do you mean your OH's W2? - In which case his employer will give that to him.

2. Take as much paperwork as you can. Any statements that show interest earned. You may be entitled to some moving expenses - unless they were reimbursed by the employer. You may be able to claim back your licence fee if you have vehicles - if you have a Vehicle Registration Notice, bring that too. Whoever is doing your taxes will advise you of what you need to bring.
You will file as Part Year residents for 2008.

3. We got an accountant to finish up our UK taxes for the part year we were there. Has your OH informed them that you have left the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.