Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice
Default Re: Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Originally Posted by Patriot93
I will have the money in my account as will my parents so that's not an issue here

I'm saying the amount I will need to save.. myself is the £24k.. housing, living and whatever else is covered by my parents. Otherwise it is more like £30k - £35k

FYI they are... my girlfriend and her roomate are currently using $285 a month on living so it wouldn't suddenly rise thousands because of me.. I like my food but not that much :P

Either way cost wise I know I've done it correctly. But either way I was more or less asking for experience from those who have been there.

and yes Rene she is a US citizen
As mentioned before, it doesn't matter about your calculations, it matters what the US immigration want. Between you and your parents, you'll need £40k-£50k in the bank.

A friend of mine attends a university in San Francisco. He informs me the application and interview are straightforward enough, as long as you meet the criteria/requirements.

When he went for his visa interview, he was asked a few brief questions including why he wanted to study in the US, why that particular university and course, has he been to the US before and does he have friends/partners/family in the US.

Best of luck with your application and future endeavours.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene that is the sort of reply I was looking for lol, not this I need to save up triple the amount I have worked out.

I even got the school to check it over and all seems fine so I still don't get why people are saying £60k lol
You need to show that you have at least the first year of funds (tuition, living expenses, books, fees, etc) saved up and in the bank. If you can show more, that's beneficial. I know you say you have support in the USA for housing and such, but my guess is that you will need to show you have the funds available in case that falls through.

You will probably also need to show that you will be able to access funds in the future for your continued stay in the USA.

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Thanks Rene that is the sort of reply I was looking for lol, not this I need to save up triple the amount I have worked out.

I even got the school to check it over and all seems fine so I still don't get why people are saying £60k lol
You appear ungrateful of the advice given, so I wont waste my time posting in this thread again.

Once again, best of luck.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Patriot93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Accessing the funds and stuff isn't an issue and I will have enough in case god forbid something happens between me and the misses. Last time I spoke with the US Embassy in London they asked for quite simply that I have the funds to be able to support myself and my education both accounted for nothing massively overly expensive this University is cheap for International Students something which is beneficial.

Thanks for your Help Tango was appreciated

Also thanks Rene a big help, I will have all the necessary funds so I will be okay Thanks
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

SDB1985 will become famous soon enough

You do realise $285 is about $9.5 a day (assuming its 285 each right?).

They stay in accomodation and eat for $9.5 a day?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:52 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

And how do you know I haven't been through this process? I would really think carefully before moaning at other people for giving you advice. I wouldn't assume that the people giving you "incorrect" advice haven't already been there, done that and got the t-shirt.

Surely if your calculations are working out cheaper to study in the USA as an international student than in the UK then alarm bells would be ringing. Seriously, go back and do your maths and make sure you have the correct figures...

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Dec 17th 2012 at 3:56 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Just to clarify, I was incorrect about what you need to show. As Noorah101 mentioned, you only need to show proof of funds for the first year. I still stand by how much you'll need for the entire four years though.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TangoBlue
Just to clarify, I was incorrect about what you need to show. As Noorah101 mentioned, you only need to show proof of funds for the first year. I still stand by how much you'll need for the entire four years though.
Also note that, while an F1 visa applicant certainly might be asked about their finances at their visa interview it is primarily up to the school to verify this information before they issue the I20 form.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You appear ungrateful of the advice given, so I wont waste my time posting in this thread again.
With respect, the OP is allowed to react any which way he wants. You seem to want him to validate what you and the others have said. Respectfully, he doesn't have to.

Just to clarify, I was incorrect about what you need to show.
Oh dear... you posted again. That's in direct conflict with what you said earlier! If you're going to post during a mild tantrum, you should at least have the courage of your convictions!

Ian
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Just could not stay away huh
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, the OP is allowed to react any which way he wants. You seem to want him to validate what you and the others have said. Respectfully, he doesn't have to.

Oh dear... you posted again. That's in direct conflict with what you said earlier! If you're going to post during a mild tantrum, you should at least have the courage of your convictions!

Ian
Originally Posted by DavidLemon
Just could not stay away huh
Simply admitting I made a mistake and gave inaccurate information, so yes, I believe that warrants an additional post.