Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Originally Posted by Patriot93
Look here for my costs tuition etc. It isn't massively expensive that is what makes it attractive to so many international students:

http://www.mnstate.edu/intl/
Exactly which uni are you hoping to attend? So far you've mentioned BU and MN State. There is a vast difference in fees between the two....It is also very difficult to get into BU unless you have connections or are extremely bright.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Patriot93 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not going for Boston as I previously stated I was just using there Help page regarding the F-1 visa Jerseygirl

Otherwise There is no minimum requirement for amount of money... just enough to support yourself and your studies. Since I am doing the education side of things my tuition comes to: $31,008 over the 4 years that is just under £20k add any extras such as books, insurance, student fee, sevis fee etc. comes to around £24.5k
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going for Boston as I previously stated I was just using there Help page regarding the F-1 visa Jerseygirl

Otherwise There is no minimum requirement for amount of money... just enough to support yourself and your studies. Since I am doing the education side of things my tuition comes to: $31,008 over the 4 years that is just under £20k add any extras such as books, insurance, student fee, sevis fee etc. comes to around £24.5k

What uni are you applying to?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Sorry I should have made this clearer. I was only looking at the Boston University in terms of Visa preperation as they had the most help on it. The actual University I am looking at is Minnesota State University Moorhead. If you look at their prices for international students (take off housing + food remember) I am okay with the money front.

Also £40 - £50k a year on living is unrealistic in my honest opinion. Most people don't spend that here in the UK.. rent is $160 a month and add any food bill + utillities ontop you're looking at $300 all of which is parental paid for. so I'd have to spend 10 - 15k a year on well.. nothing really lol other than having fun and I can tell you lol even I'd struggle with spending that amount of money

I'm not relying on a campus job it is if anything a conveniant thing. If I can do then I will. I will have the amount required not forgetting parental payments of living costs..
Here's my rough workings.

You must show you have $17k per year for tuition including books, health insurance and room/board. It doesn't matter that you're living with a friend. I'd imagine you still have to show you have adequate funds in case you fall out or need to leave your friends/girlfriends.

$17k a year means $68k for the full degree without inflation/increased fees each year, which is about £42k.

Add on food, transport, mobile phone, days out, flights from and to the UK etc, I'd say even if you could get by on £500 a month, that's £6k a year or £24k for the entire degree.

£42k for tuition, room/boarding, insurance, books etc and £24k for living, that's £66k you'd need to show in your bank account.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Minnesota State University Moorhead
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

SDB1985 will become famous soon enough

http://www.mnstate.edu/intl/tuitionandfees.aspx

So the estimate is $17K a year there? Whatever else you assume it will cost, id expect USCIS would at least, expect to see you have the amount the university advises for the full 4 years, i.e approx $68-70K?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:28 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Look here for my costs tuition etc. It isn't massively expensive that is what makes it attractive to so many international students:

http://www.mnstate.edu/intl/
I think you may need to do your sums again. The way you have worked it out it's cheaper to study there than in the UK, which is pretty much impossible no?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

It is just over $7k a year for Tuition not $17k I have no idea where this figure has come from..

Believe me I've gone over this many many many times I have lost count lol, either way I know for a fact I don't see that much money.

$31008 for 4 years Tuition.
Housing + living paid for by parents not myself
Health insurance $4108 for 4 years
Sevis: $180
Student fee $800 for 4 years
Books $4000

No where near the £60k figure which is being thrown around here..
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

It is just over $7k a year for Tuition not $17k I have no idea where this figure has come from..

Believe me I've gone over this many many many times I have lost count lol, either way I know for a fact I don't see that much money.

Books $4000

Yes the tution is correct, but you have to show USCIS you have the money to pay for the housing/living - you cant just tell them "oh mum and dad are covering that" - they need to see it in your bank balance or theirs?

There is no way on earth living costs are $300 a month if you arent planning on living in Uni accomodation
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.mnstate.edu/intl/tuitionandfees.aspx

Read this page - it explains my point
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:38 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Books $4000

I lifted $17k straight from the website (year total $17,041) and you will be there for 3 or 4 years right? So that's minimum of $51k and maximum of $68k. Even if you take the room and board off that your parents will be paying it is still still more than the $7k that you have worked out. This is what I mean by needing accurate sums...
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am 19 working for the Government in IT. My girlfriend of almost 2 years now lives in the USA. I want to move over there for many reasons not just her. ( sounds bad I know but it isn't lol)
Is your girlfriend a US Citizen?

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

I will have the money in my account as will my parents so that's not an issue here

I'm saying the amount I will need to save.. myself is the £24k.. housing, living and whatever else is covered by my parents. Otherwise it is more like £30k - £35k

FYI they are... my girlfriend and her roomate are currently using $285 a month on living so it wouldn't suddenly rise thousands because of me.. I like my food but not that much :P

Either way cost wise I know I've done it correctly. But either way I was more or less asking for experience from those who have been there.

and yes Rene she is a US citizen
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

But either way I was more or less asking for experience from those who have been there.
From what I've seen posted on this forum, The F-1 visa is fairly easy to get, as long as you have the approved I-20 from the University, you show the funds available, and show NON-immigrant intent.

and yes Rene she is a US citizen
This may or may not hinder you. You won't know until you go to the visa interview.

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene that is the sort of reply I was looking for lol, not this I need to save up triple the amount I have worked out.

I even got the school to check it over and all seems fine so I still don't get why people are saying £60k lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.