Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Patriot93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

Hi All,

First time posting.. i literally signed up 5 minutes ago after seeing extensive advice from such lovely people! Here is my situation:

I am 19 working for the Government in IT. My girlfriend of almost 2 years now lives in the USA. I want to move over there for many reasons not just her. ( sounds bad I know but it isn't lol)

I have looked at numerous visa's etc. But the route I have to go through is studying. I am not committing immigration fraud I am genuinly going to Study IT Security and then do a Masters and hopefully a PhD. My dream has always been to work for either a Military organisation or Government in this field. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone to study there and now lives there and what it was like.

I am saving up the money myself an extensive £24k to do it all, as there are no scholarships or financial aid for this university. Her Parents won't sponsor me since they are deep republicans and believe in self-help but I was wondering if anyone could share any experiences or have any advice for me which could be of use.

So to sum up: Anyone gone to study in the USA from UK? What is it like to leave everyone and everything behind and is there any advice regarding the F-1 visa? I am rather nervous about going through that process because of my girlfriend of such a long time they would probably refuse me as they'll think I have the intent to marry which I do not. So any advice is welcome.

Kind regards
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all
Default Re: Girlfriend lives in States, I want to move

This could be a prank post
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

I assure you it isn't lol.. This is a true post..

Why would I put in the time to make a prank post lol,

anyway this is real so advice is welcome thanks!

Last edited by Patriot93; Dec 17th 2012 at 12:53 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

£24k is unlikely enough funds to allow you to do an undergraduate degree, let alone a masters afterwards. Undergraduate degrees are 4 years in the US. The F-1 visa has very strict limitations on when and who you can work for. £24k to support yourself for 4 years with the possibility of not being able to work is in my opinion, not realistic.

Is marriage a possibility in the near future?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

£24k is the amount it would cost. I'm not paying for housing / living. Parents are doing that since they did the same for my sister when she went to University over here.

Money for Masters + PhD comes with saving / getting a loan (not all necessarily in the USA).

I would say marriage is a green light and to go for but I would need to live with her for an extensive period of time before hand both of us agreed this. £24k is solely for all educational costs bare in mind that living etc. is parental paid for.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patriot93
£24k is the amount it would cost. I'm not paying for housing / living. Parents are doing that since they did the same for my sister when she went to University over here.

Money for Masters + PhD comes with saving / getting a loan (not all necessarily in the USA).

I would say marriage is a green light and to go for but I would need to live with her for an extensive period of time before hand both of us agreed this. £24k is solely for all educational costs bare in mind that living etc. is parental paid for.
You must have very wealthy parents if they can fund two of their children to attend university in the US for 4 years each, so I'd imagine the funds aren't a problem, as you'd be able to prove you or your parents have a substantial amount in the bank (more than £27k) to fund yourself for 4 years.

You'd need to consider admission. Do you have the appropriate qualifications to gain admission to the university (GCSE's?) and course you are applying for. Do they require anything else (SATs) for admission?

In regards to the F-1 visa, you must prove you have ties to the UK. While this is hard for most young people, if you have no ties to the UK (property, a job to return to) and have a girlfriend in the US, this will not look good.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

My parents paid for my Sisters living here in the UK.

We're not wealthy if anything just standard middle class.

I may not have a job to return to but will be seeking a job in the same organisation and to get it, I need a degree. I don't have a home I am only 19 let's not forget. I may have a car that is dependent as of yet.
My ties realistically consist of:
Family & Friends,
Numerous Bank accounts + savings accounts
Possibility of a car
Looking to return to the same organisation yet with a pay rise.

*Edit*

I had a look on the Boston University website also. The Visa part shouldn't realistically be a massive issue as most of the questions asked the UK is okay with such as: Is it hard to obtain a visa here in the uk? no. Is this your first time going to the US? No will be like me 6 / 7th by the time I'm going etc.

That demonstrates significant ties. I've known people to not have a problem with going there with less ties than this. I was told only to tell the Visa Officer that I have a girlfriend over there only if they ask anyway? Not sure on that bit :/

Last edited by Patriot93; Dec 17th 2012 at 1:22 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

My parents paid for my Sisters living here in the UK.

We're not wealthy if anything just standard middle class.

I may not have a job to return to but will be seeking a job in the same organisation and to get it, I need a degree. I don't have a home I am only 19 let's not forget. I may have a car that is dependent as of yet.
My ties realistically consist of:
Family & Friends,
Numerous Bank accounts + savings accounts
Possibility of a car
Looking to return to the same organisation yet with a pay rise.

That demonstrates significant ties. I've known people to not have a problem with going there with less ties than this. I was told only to tell the Visa Officer that I have a girlfriend over there only if they ask anyway? Not sure on that bit :/
I agree, it's hard for a 19 year old to show ties to the UK. If you can get written confirmation from your employer that you have a job to go back to, then this would work very well in your favour, though understandably, some employers may not wish to guarantee a job for someone who may or may not return after 4 years.

I wouldn't mention your girlfriend unless asked.

As for the parental funding while in the US, your parents will have to have the cash sitting in their bank account by the time you apply for the F-1 visa, rather than sending you money monthly as they get paid.

I'd guess a minimum figure of £40k-£60k, plus your £27k for tuition costs.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

They will have the money ready sitting in the bank. Both parents are currently saving and will be ready to go.

There is no guarentee of a job for when I go back here is the issue:

A governmental organisation needing IT staff will not wait a period of 4 years for an employee to return. If there is a job posting and the employee has worked here previously then obviously it would work in my favour. By the time I return the main IT Security guy will have retired and I am hoping to fill the void as a result.

If the VO asks who am I staying with i'll just say a friend of whom I met on my previous trips which this is technically true also not lying or cheating my way in I would never do that.

I have done some calculations and the rent + living costs etc don't hit the £50 or £60k mark. I should be able to get a job on campus for up to 20 hours a week since i'll have good previous experience (at least 2 years) in an IT role.

Overall I'd say the Visa front is looking good although I was wondering is the process hard, what is it like in comparison to the UK etc. More or less looking to see what those who have gone on and done it think
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

SDB1985 will become famous soon enough

What university are you specifically looking at? You say "boston university"

They are quoting $56K per year for tuition and accomodation/meal plan etc?

http://www.bu.edu/admissions/apply/c...tion-and-fees/
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

They will have the money ready sitting in the bank. Both parents are currently saving and will be ready to go.

There is no guarentee of a job for when I go back here is the issue:

A governmental organisation needing IT staff will not wait a period of 4 years for an employee to return. If there is a job posting and the employee has worked here previously then obviously it would work in my favour. By the time I return the main IT Security guy will have retired and I am hoping to fill the void as a result.

If the VO asks who am I staying with i'll just say a friend of whom I met on my previous trips which this is technically true also not lying or cheating my way in I would never do that.

I have done some calculations and the rent + living costs etc don't hit the £50 or £60k mark. I should be able to get a job on campus for up to 20 hours a week since i'll have good previous experience (at least 2 years) in an IT role.

Overall I'd say the Visa front is looking good although I was wondering is the process hard, what is it like in comparison to the UK etc. More or less looking to see what those who have gone on and done it think
If the VO asks who you are staying with (and you are staying with your girlfriend), then you need to state your girlfriend. Do not lie and say a friend.

Even though you are living with a friend/girlfriend, you still need to show a substantial amount of cash. Say you and you friend/girlfriend fell out/split up.

I'm afraid it's not what you calculate you'll need, it's what the US immigration require you to have, and a figure of £40k-£60k I would imagine is minimum if you are not paying any rent/bills.

You cannot rely on working on campus at the university. If you get a job, it's a bonus, but you still have to have the amount in your bank to support you.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:09 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

27k is not enough money to study in the UK let alone the States. You will need at least 60k before immigration will look at you. If you have the money and want to study then I don't see why you wouldn't make the cut.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I should have made this clearer. I was only looking at the Boston University in terms of Visa preperation as they had the most help on it. The actual University I am looking at is Minnesota State University Moorhead. If you look at their prices for international students (take off housing + food remember) I am okay with the money front.

Also £40 - £50k a year on living is unrealistic in my honest opinion. Most people don't spend that here in the UK.. rent is $160 a month and add any food bill + utillities ontop you're looking at $300 all of which is parental paid for. so I'd have to spend 10 - 15k a year on well.. nothing really lol other than having fun and I can tell you lol even I'd struggle with spending that amount of money

I'm not relying on a campus job it is if anything a conveniant thing. If I can do then I will. I will have the amount required not forgetting parental payments of living costs..
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Look here for my costs tuition etc. It isn't massively expensive that is what makes it attractive to so many international students:

http://www.mnstate.edu/intl/
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:16 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Also £40 - £50k a year on living is unrealistic in my honest opinion. Most people don't spend that here in the UK.. rent is $160 a month and add any food bill + utillities ontop you're looking at $300 all of which is parental paid for. so I'd have to spend 10 - 15k a year on well.. nothing really lol other than having fun and I can tell you lol even I'd struggle with spending that amount of money
It doesn't matter if it's unrealistic. If it's what immigration requires then that's what you'll have to have. How much will your tuition fees come to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.