Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting my US friend over here for a while

Getting my US friend over here for a while

Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

LieCheatSteal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting my US friend over here for a while

After living in Houston, TX for a year now, my friend and I have been talking seriously about the possibility of her coming over to live & work for maybe 6 months to a year. Does anybody know of any good programs or schemes that would provide such an opportunity?

She isn't the most qualified person in the world, so would hardly be sought out for a H1-B, etc. I'm just thinking along the lines of a temporary coaching program, volunteer work in Houston, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my US friend over here for a while

Originally Posted by LieCheatSteal
After living in Houston, TX for a year now, my friend and I have been talking seriously about the possibility of her coming over to live & work for maybe 6 months to a year. Does anybody know of any good programs or schemes that would provide such an opportunity?

She isn't the most qualified person in the world, so would hardly be sought out for a H1-B, etc. I'm just thinking along the lines of a temporary coaching program, volunteer work in Houston, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!!
Who is what citizenhsip and who wants to go where, from where?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

LieCheatSteal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Who is what citizenhsip and who wants to go where, from where?
I'm a british citizen married to my us citizen husband. Now my best friend, british citizen, would like to come over and spend some time with us and take in the "Houston experience". We're not talking H1-Bs or green cards here, just a possible scheme or program that would allow her to come over for maybe six months to a year.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bunac.org/
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.aupairinamerica.co.uk/

If her first name is Louise and her last name is a colour, would suggest she may have problems.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LieCheatSteal
I'm a british citizen married to my us citizen husband. Now my best friend, british citizen, would like to come over and spend some time with us and take in the "Houston experience". We're not talking H1-Bs or green cards here, just a possible scheme or program that would allow her to come over for maybe six months to a year.
haha to FB, I typed in about the J-1 but decided to wait until I know who was what.

Lie: J-1 is the only feasible way. She must go through an agency.

Now, why you'd want to inflict Houston on a perfectly nice friend of yours is another question

Last ditch, she might want to look for an H-2, but I have no direct experience with that either. Can be useful for the ski season type jobs, from what I read.