Getting My Girlfriend Over

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

craigweb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting My Girlfriend Over

Hi Everyone,

So here's another visa struggle :-(

I'm a British citizen and so is my girlfriend. We've been together for 3 years. A year and a half ago I came out to work in the states on my O-1 visa. My girlfriend and I have taken it in turns to visit one another when we can, her slightly more than I over the past 18 months. Her last trip being for 3 months, the full 90 days the esta will allow.

Now, I earn enough to support us both so we were advised if she wanted to stay for a longer period than 90 days to apply for a B2. (immigration attorney) We were also told that because she had entered the states 4 times (2wks, 1wk, 2wks, 3ms), that it was best as the esta would soon flag her.

She was denied her B2 last week .

We were utterly shocked as we completely didn't expect it. It sounds like she had a horrific time at the embassy and didn't get to show the evidence of ties to the UK and her finances that she had been asked to prepare.

I still have to work here and we're looking for the legal way that allows us to be together. She still has 6 months remaining on her esta.

So, any advice would be greatly received.

Last edited by craigweb; Feb 23rd 2013 at 12:18 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting My Girlfriend Over

Originally Posted by craigweb
Hi Everyone,

So here's another visa struggle :-(

I'm a British citizen and so is my girlfriend. We've been together for 3 years. A year and a half ago I came out to work in the states on my O-1 visa. My girlfriend and I have taken it in turns to visit one another when we can, her slightly more than I over the past 18 months. Her last trip being for 3 months, the full 90 days the esta will allow.

Now, I earn enough to support us both so we were advised if she wanted to stay for a longer period than 90 days to apply for a B2. (immigration attorney) We were also told that because she had entered the states 4 times (2wks, 1wk, 2wks, 3ms), that it was best as the esta would soon flag her.

She was denied her B2 last week .

We were utterly shocked as we completely didn't expect it. It sounds like she had a horrific time at the embassy and didn't get to show the evidence of ties to and finances that she had been asked to prepare.

I still have to work here and we're looking for the legal way that allows us to be together. She still has 6 months remaining on her esta.

So, any advice would be greatly received.
Get married?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

She still has 6 months remaining on her esta.
Probably not, I'm afraid. The visa denial will invalidate her current ESTA.

Did she apply for the B2 specifically as a previously cohabiting partner?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Oh. So the denial invalidates her ESTA? That's not good news.

Wish we'd just carried on using the esta :-/

Ok so I didn't know she could state she had a previously cohabiting partner, so i'm sure that's a no.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. So the denial invalidates her ESTA? That's not good news.

Wish we'd just carried on using the esta :-/

Ok so I didn't know she could state she had a previously cohabiting partner, so i'm sure that's a no.
OK, so were you living together in the UK? If so, she can apply for the B-2 again, but this time as a "cohabitating partner". She needs to bring proof that you have a joint residence together in the UK, that you actually DO live together (of course when you're not in the USA working).

Carrying on using ESTA too often would have eventually resulted in her being turned away at the POE, anyway.

The visa denial invalidates her current ESTA. She would need to apply for a new ESTA and declare the visa denial. This will most likely lead to ESTA denial for a good many months, possibly around 6 to 12 months.

The best solution is to get married and have her get an O-2 visa.

Rene
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
Get married?
That would be the simplest way...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

For alternatives...
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the link.

Our plans were to get her on a course to give her something to focus on while I'm working, but now we're worried that the b2 denial would make a J1 application a bit of a sham. And as we really aren't trying to con the system to live for ever in the states or anything, it just seems a little high risk. Don't want her to be banned for good.

That being said, with the b2 denial and the ESTA being revoked automatically, she pretty much is!

The ESTA is definitely revoked correct? I've been told otherwise by a Visa Consultant you see :-/

Marriage is certainly an option. We plan to marry, but I'm a romantic, and this isn't exactly that, that's for sure. Would even be able to get back to get permission from her farther.

So the best option at this point is to reapply for a b2 visa with a 'partner' status?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

ESTA is not revoked but as her circumstances have changed she needs to update it, she may be lucky.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:56 am
Just Joined

I see. So if she travels out here on the ESTA, she may not be stopped. If she is however, she could have all her documentation about her ties to the UK and evidence of her finances and this would help?

And obviously she says she's visiting me and an error was made with the B2 application?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Our plans were to get her on a course to give her something to focus on while I'm working, but now we're worried that the b2 denial would make a J1 application a bit of a sham.
I don't know. J-1 goals are different than B-2 goals. If she can prove her goals are consistent with the type of visa she's applying for, she may have a chance.

The ESTA is definitely revoked correct?
It's not revoked. It's just outdated now, since her circumstances have changed. She needs to apply for a new one. She can certainly try, and see what happens. My guess is that it will come back denied...but she won't know for sure until she tries.

I've been told otherwise by a Visa Consultant you see
Visa consultants are bad news. Only get advice from a qualified immigration attorney.

Marriage is certainly an option. We plan to marry, but I'm a romantic, and this isn't exactly that, that's for sure.
Immigration does take the romance out of marriage sometimes. However, which is more important to you both? Being romantic from afar? Or living together on one continent sooner rather than later?

So the best option at this point is to reapply for a b2 visa with a 'partner' status?
Only if you were living together in the UK and she can prove it. Personally, I think the best option is marriage. B-2 cohabitating partner visa would be second best.

Rene
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:05 am

I see. So if she travels out here on the ESTA, she may not be stopped.
Well, that's assuming her new ESTA application gets approved.

If she is however, she could have all her documentation about her ties to the UK and evidence of her finances and this would help?
Perhaps, if the POE officer wants to see them.

And obviously she says she's visiting me and an error was made with the B2 application?
There was no error made that I can see.

Rene
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:09 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned an immigration attorney, whose advise was apparently not stellar, and a visa consultant, which is not a popular source of reliable info. I would try a different immigration attorney.

It sounds like GF does not work, with all the free time to visit, but perhaps she has suitable merits to qualify for a visa in her own right? Long shot from what you have shared, but worth a look.

The B2 denial is likely due to the appearance that she just wants to come and live there with you, and if that is the case, the ESTA would also likely be problematic. That is exactly what these rules are there to prevent.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Ah I see.

The error I was referring to was that she didn't apply for a B2 with the 'partner' element.

So it's a sure thing that she would need to reapply for the ESTA, and that she can't use the remaining 6 months of her previous visa?

So we've eliminated her own visa, we've eliminated the B2 reapplication, and we're down to marriage. I find it a little crazy that I can't have my partner stay with me for an extended period of time while I work on a 3 year working visa.
Have we not over looked something or am I proposing tomorrow? lol

If marriage is the way forward, I'm going to need some more advice on the type of visa etc I would need to get in motion for that too :-/.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:31 am

The error I was referring to was that she didn't apply for a B2 with the 'partner' element.
Oh, I see. The error was on her part. Doesn't do much good to mention that at the POE, it means nothing, since the visa's been applied for and denied.

So it's a sure thing that she would need to reapply for the ESTA, and that she can't use the remaining 6 months of her previous visa?
She didn't have a visa to begin with, so no "previous visa" to use up. Do you mean the remaining 6 months of validity on her previous ESTA approval? Then correct, that's no good anymore, and she needs to reapply for a new ESTA, because her circumstances have now changed, and her answers to the questions on ESTA will be different than when she first applied.

So we've eliminated her own visa..
Why? You mentioned her wanting to study in the USA, why are you elimating this option?

, we've eliminated the B2 reapplication...
Why? Although you haven't said so for sure, if you were living together in the UK, she can reapply for a B-2, this time based on the cohabitating partner aspect.

and we're down to marriage. I find it a little crazy that I can't have my partner stay with me for an extended period of time while I work on a 3 year working visa.
You can, if you guys were living together in the UK. You haven't actually said whether you were or not yet.

Have we not over looked something or am I proposing tomorrow? lol
If you want it to happen sooner rather than later, with no more hassles or risks of visa denials, you'll be proposing tomorrow. LOL

If marriage is the way forward, I'm going to need some more advice on the type of visa etc I would need to get in motion for that too :-/.
No problem on that one. You have an O-1, so she'd receive an O-2, simply based on the fact that YOU have an O-1, AND you are legally married. She would just need to make an appointment at the embassy, bring in proof of your O-1 visa, that you are in status in the USA (working for your O-1 employer), and proof of your legal marriage. Done deal.

Rene
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sort of fascinated to know how you obtained an O1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.