Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting my girlfiriend to the US, HELP!

Getting my girlfiriend to the US, HELP!

Old Jan 22nd 2001, 2:50 am
Alex

Interesting thought. If I gave my mother-in-law, say $500000, could she
> move to the US, or would the government need to know the money came from me and say no?

Why would you do it? I would give my mother in law $50K so she move OUT of the US

Old Jan 24th 2001, 6:01 am
Michael Voight

Flashnews wrote:
>
> Eastern Europeans have a track record of not returning - so we should just discriminate
> against all of them?? Certain minorities have a track record (percentage wise) of
> committing more crimes than the rest of the population - so maybee they need to prove
> they are not "intending" criminals before we let them move into our white
> neighborhoods???

Really, I don't recall any current laws restricting black from moving into white
neighborhoods.

You and Edward V.
> swapped blows because he was stereotyping Jews and I take your side Mike. Where is your
> sense of equality now on this topic???

The visa policy has to be based on something. Can you suggest another way to reduce the
number of people that come on a tourist visa from a specific and don't leave? Or, should
they just take people's word for
it.

>
> No, the news did not say what kind of visa thay had. I dont think most people think
> about visas until they have a friend, relative or in-law and then become aware of it -
> as Americans generally can travel anywhere without problems and things like visa denials
> are not a concern for most Americans. All the news report said was - they were organized
> criminals from Russia under investigation for insurance fraud and did not mention
> anything about Visas, INS, deportation or "sneaking" across the border.

I thought you were trying to make a point that they bribed someone at the consulate to get
into the country. So, you bring up a news story about some people from some country
committing a crime in the US. I don't see the relevance. For all you know, they snuck
across the border. What does this have to do with your belief in corruption at the
consulate where you can pay a bribe and get a visa. This is your contention, correct???
You make an assertion that this is happening, then point to a news story that is unrelated
to what you are claiming.

>
> Your statements are a little conflicting. You indicated that most Russians have a track
> record of obtaining tourist visas and not returning and the Consulate now denies most
> tourist visas - how can your statement that you know Russians that got visas for entry
> into the US be true??? They probably got into the US on an immigrant or Fiancee visa - I
> think that is what you meant to say.

No, I know people are able to get in on tourist visas. I said they deny MOST tourist
visas. So how does this conflict with a statement that I know people that have gotten a
tourist visa?? I didn't say anything about immigrant or fiancé visas. The discussion was
about tourist visas.

>
> Ok, Consualte Officers dont take outright bribes - but they make mistakes and sometimes
> base their decisions on emotion or maybe they are having a bad day or whatever and not
> on fact.

Now, this is 180 degrees from what you previously were stating. Yes, they make mistakes,
some base decisions on emotion, some are more liberal than others. This is a far cry from
you accusing them of accepting "gifts" to hand out visas.

Michael

Old Jan 26th 2001, 9:40 pm
Robert Nicholson

How can I keep here there as a permanent resident marrying her in the USA?

Surely she will have to leave.

Alvena Ferreira <[email protected]> writes:

> News wrote:
> > I have a green card here, my girlfriend is from Russia and I am trying to bring her
> > over here before we get married (I don't want to jump into marriage just yet).
> > According to my sources, there is now an official written directive to the US
> > Consulate in Moscow to deny tourist visas to all single women between the ages of 14
> > to 40 (This came from a congressman in California). My understanding is that a green
> > card holder can't sponsor a "fiancée" visa nor will she get a green card if we get
> > married. Is this correct? Any legal ways to get her visa? Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Her only chance would be for a work or student visa in order to get the states at this
> time. The only other alternative is to marry her there and file an I-130 for her,
> which would have a processing time of 4-5 years, however her wait would only be 3
> years because after 3 years she would be eligible for a V Visa (wife of perm resident
> waiting 3 years). It might be quicker for you to apply for citizenship if you qualify,
> as once you are a citizen, this would allow immediate approval of an I-130 petition at
> the moscow consulate, and she could be in the US in 2-3 months as the wife of a US
> citizen. However, i don't know how close you may be to citizenship, so this method
> depends on where you are in your residency. (and this method does not solve your
> current problem either)
>
> alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 26th 2001, 9:43 pm
Robert Nicholson

If one already has a tourist visa how do that help?

Seriously, my thai girlfriend has a 10 year tourist visa in her passport. How can she com
eto the US to stay with me as a perment resident?

Old Jan 27th 2001, 12:10 am
Alvena Ferreira

Robert Nicholson wrote:
> If one already has a tourist visa how do that help? Seriously, my thai girlfriend has a
> 10 year tourist visa in her passport. How can she com eto the US to stay with me as a
> perment resident?

If she had been in the US on 12/21/00 and was still in the US on that visit, you could
marry her and file an I-130 for her under the new LIFE Visa Act, however if she is not in
the US at this time, you cannot take advantage of this under the law. The only other
alternatives are: -marry her in russia, and file an i-130 through the service center, and
await processing time of 4-5 years. -she enters the US on a work or student visa and you
marry and file I-130 for her and await the processing, while she maintains status on the
work or student visa so that she can stay in the US. -you obtain citizenship, and either
file a fiance visa for her, or marry her and file an i-130 petition for spouse. However,
this might take longer if you are very far from having citizenship.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes 245i page at:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/245i.html

Old Jan 27th 2001, 11:58 am
jeffreyh1

Alvena,

Whose post are you answering here? Mr. Nicholson's fiancee is Thai, not Russian. And Mr.
Nicholson is a US citizen.

Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
----------------------------------------
In article <[email protected]>,

> Robert Nicholson wrote:
> > If one already has a tourist visa how do that help? Seriously, my thai girlfriend has
> > a 10 year tourist visa in her passport. How can she com eto the US to stay with me as
> > a perment
resident?
>
> If she had been in the US on 12/21/00 and was still in the US on that visit, you could
> marry her and file an I-130 for her under the new
LIFE
> Visa Act, however if she is not in the US at this time, you cannot
take
> advantage of this under the law. The only other alternatives are: -marry her in russia,
> and file an i-130 through the service center,
and
> await processing time of 4-5 years. -she enters the US on a work or student visa and you
> marry and file I-130 for her and await the processing, while she maintains status on the
> work or student visa so that she can stay in the US. -you obtain citizenship, and either
> file a fiance visa for her, or
marry
> her and file an i-130 petition for spouse. However, this might take longer if you are
> very far from having citizenship.
>
> alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes 245i page at:
> http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/245i.html
>

--

Old Jan 27th 2001, 12:04 pm
jeffreyh1

Robert,

Read Alvena's web site, which she references in her signature and I repeat here:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes Also read Jonathan's website, the FAQ, and The
Mysterious Plain Brown Envelope, which all have links from Alvena's site and from each
other. You should find answers to all of your questions there.

Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
------------------------------------------------

> How can I keep here there as a permanent resident marrying her in the
USA?
>
> Surely she will have to leave.
>
> Alvena Ferreira <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > News wrote:
> > > I have a green card here, my girlfriend is from Russia and I am
trying to
> > > bring her over here before we get married (I don't want to jump
into
> > > marriage just yet). According to my sources, there is now an
official
> > > written directive to the US Consulate in Moscow to deny tourist
visas to all
> > > single women between the ages of 14 to 40 (This came from a
congressman in
> > > California). My understanding is that a green card holder can't
sponsor a
> > > "fiancée" visa nor will she get a green card if we get married.
Is this
> > > correct? Any legal ways to get her visa? Any help would be
appreciated.
> >
> > Her only chance would be for a work or student visa in order to get
the
> > states at this time. The only other alternative is to marry her
there
> > and file an I-130 for her, which would have a processing time of 4-5 years, however
> > her wait would only be 3 years because after 3 years
she
> > would be eligible for a V Visa (wife of perm resident waiting 3
years).
> > It might be quicker for you to apply for citizenship if you
qualify, as
> > once you are a citizen, this would allow immediate approval of an I-
> > petition at the moscow consulate, and she could be in the US in 2-3 months as the wife
> > of a US citizen. However, i don't know how
close you
> > may be to citizenship, so this method depends on where you are in
your
> > residency. (and this method does not solve your current problem
either)
> >
> > alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes
>

--

Old Jan 27th 2001, 1:07 pm
Robert Nicholson

I'm not a US citizen. GC holder only. I'm Australia and British.

[email protected] writes:

> Alvena,
>
> Whose post are you answering here? Mr. Nicholson's fiancee is Thai, not Russian. And Mr.
> Nicholson is a US citizen.
>
> Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
> ----------------------------------------
> In article <[email protected]>,

> > Robert Nicholson wrote:
> > > If one already has a tourist visa how do that help? Seriously, my thai girlfriend
> > > has a 10 year tourist visa in her passport. How can she com eto the US to stay with
> > > me as a perment
> resident?
> >
> > If she had been in the US on 12/21/00 and was still in the US on that visit, you could
> > marry her and file an I-130 for her under the new
> LIFE
> > Visa Act, however if she is not in the US at this time, you cannot
> take
> > advantage of this under the law. The only other alternatives are: -marry her in
> > russia, and file an i-130 through the service center,
> and
> > await processing time of 4-5 years. -she enters the US on a work or student visa and
> > you marry and file I-130 for her and await the processing, while she maintains status
> > on the work or student visa so that she can stay in the US. -you obtain citizenship,
> > and either file a fiance visa for her, or
> marry
> > her and file an i-130 petition for spouse. However, this might take longer if you are
> > very far from having citizenship.
> >
> > alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes 245i page at:
> > http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/245i.html
> >
>
> --

Old Jan 27th 2001, 1:13 pm
Robert Nicholson

The web site you pointed me to doesn't really contain anyu information for my case. That
is I want to research entering on a tourist and then adjusting to student for my fiancee.

Note: I'm not a US citizen just a PR.

[email protected] writes:

> Alvena,
>
> Whose post are you answering here? Mr. Nicholson's fiancee is Thai, not Russian. And Mr.
> Nicholson is a US citizen.
>
> Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
> ----------------------------------------
> In article <[email protected]>,

> > Robert Nicholson wrote:
> > > If one already has a tourist visa how do that help? Seriously, my thai girlfriend
> > > has a 10 year tourist visa in her passport. How can she com eto the US to stay with
> > > me as a perment
> resident?
> >
> > If she had been in the US on 12/21/00 and was still in the US on that visit, you could
> > marry her and file an I-130 for her under the new
> LIFE
> > Visa Act, however if she is not in the US at this time, you cannot
> take
> > advantage of this under the law. The only other alternatives are: -marry her in
> > russia, and file an i-130 through the service center,
> and
> > await processing time of 4-5 years. -she enters the US on a work or student visa and
> > you marry and file I-130 for her and await the processing, while she maintains status
> > on the work or student visa so that she can stay in the US. -you obtain citizenship,
> > and either file a fiance visa for her, or
> marry
> > her and file an i-130 petition for spouse. However, this might take longer if you are
> > very far from having citizenship.
> >
> > alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes 245i page at:
> > http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/245i.html
> >
>
> --

Old Jan 28th 2001, 3:19 am
jeffreyh1

Robert,

I'm sorry I added to the confusion by thinking that you're a USC if you're not.

BTW, what have you and your fiancee agreed to about the gold and the sin sot?
Just curious.

Good luck to you both, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of
inquisitive idiots
------------------------------------------------

>
> The web site you pointed me to doesn't really contain anyu
information for
> my case. That is I want to research entering on a tourist and then
adjusting
> to student for my fiancee.
>
> Note: I'm not a US citizen just a PR.
>
> [email protected] writes:
>
> > Alvena,
> >
> > Whose post are you answering here? Mr. Nicholson's fiancee is Thai, not Russian. And
> > Mr. Nicholson is a US citizen.
> >
> > Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
> > ----------------------------------------
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > Robert Nicholson wrote:
> > > > If one already has a tourist visa how do that help? Seriously, my thai girlfriend
> > > > has a 10 year tourist visa in her passport. How can she com eto the US to stay
> > > > with me as a
perment
> > resident?
> > >
> > > If she had been in the US on 12/21/00 and was still in the US on
that
> > > visit, you could marry her and file an I-130 for her under the
new
> > LIFE
> > > Visa Act, however if she is not in the US at this time, you cannot
> > take
> > > advantage of this under the law. The only other alternatives are: -marry her in
> > > russia, and file an i-130 through the service
center,
> > and
> > > await processing time of 4-5 years. -she enters the US on a work or student visa and
> > > you marry and
file
> > > I-130 for her and await the processing, while she maintains
status on
> > > the work or student visa so that she can stay in the US. -you obtain citizenship,
> > > and either file a fiance visa for her, or
> > marry
> > > her and file an i-130 petition for spouse. However, this might
take
> > > longer if you are very far from having citizenship.
> > >
> > > alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes 245i page at:
> > > http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/245i.html
> > >
> >
> > --
> >
> >

>

--

Old Jan 29th 2001, 5:46 am
cparke

I have a green card here, my girlfriend is from Russia and I am
> trying to bring her over here before we get married (I don't want to jump into marriage
> just yet). According to my sources, there is now an official written directive to the US
> Consulate in Moscow to deny tourist visas to all single women between the ages of 14 to
> 40 (This came from a congressman in California). My understanding is that a green card
> holder can't sponsor a "fiancée" visa nor will she get a green card if we get married.
> Is this correct? Any legal ways to get her visa? Any help would be appreciated.

The B2 denial situation - likely problem because unless she is already married, it
is difficult for her to prove she will not marry anyone while in the USA and then
remain here.

You cant file for K1 unless you are a US citizen.

Your only option is to marry her in Russia and then file I-130 at the consulate for
immigrant visa. She must then wait for an immigrant number to become available for her.
But, according to the latest visa bulletin, category 2A has a 5-year wait for visa
numbers, which isnt very good for your marriage.

Best way to get her here sooner as a fiancee - H1B visa, if she has the required education
and you can find an employer.

Good luck.
CP/LP