Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting my girlfiriend to the US, HELP!

Getting my girlfiriend to the US, HELP!

Old Jan 20th 2001, 4:19 am
News

Hi, Everyone, need help, recommendations, advice, anything, please!

I have a green card here, my girlfriend is from Russia and I am trying to bring her over
here before we get married (I don't want to jump into marriage just yet). According to my
sources, there is now an official written directive to the US Consulate in Moscow to deny
tourist visas to all single women between the ages of 14 to 40 (This came from a
congressman in California). My understanding is that a green card holder can't sponsor a
"fiancée" visa nor will she get a green card if we get married. Is this correct? Any legal
ways to get her visa? Any help would be appreciated.

Old Jan 20th 2001, 5:36 am
Alvena Ferreira

News wrote:
> I have a green card here, my girlfriend is from Russia and I am trying to bring her over
> here before we get married (I don't want to jump into marriage just yet). According to
> my sources, there is now an official written directive to the US Consulate in Moscow to
> deny tourist visas to all single women between the ages of 14 to 40 (This came from a
> congressman in California). My understanding is that a green card holder can't sponsor a
> "fiancée" visa nor will she get a green card if we get married. Is this correct? Any
> legal ways to get her visa? Any help would be appreciated.

Her only chance would be for a work or student visa in order to get the states at this
time. The only other alternative is to marry her there and file an I-130 for her, which
would have a processing time of 4-5 years, however her wait would only be 3 years because
after 3 years she would be eligible for a V Visa (wife of perm resident waiting 3 years).
It might be quicker for you to apply for citizenship if you qualify, as once you are a
citizen, this would allow immediate approval of an I-130 petition at the moscow consulate,
and she could be in the US in 2-3 months as the wife of a US citizen. However, i don't
know how close you may be to citizenship, so this method depends on where you are in your
residency. (and this method does not solve your current problem either)

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 20th 2001, 5:48 am
Michael McGuire

I do not think there is anyway to get a B1/2 tourist visa for her. Sorry, I've been there.
My girlfriend has a very good job, lots of education, apartment, car, etc.... Traveled all
over the world and they denied her. Infact, they completely lied to her during the process
which upsets me and her to this day. On their defense- their are lots of illegal alien's
that came here on B1 visa's and disappeared. I decided to go with the 129F because I am an
american. We looked at the educational route and time was the killer. She had not taken
the TOFEL or GMAT tests for admission. I felt like it would probably take a year. My
school(I've got contacts at the local university) said- "we've never admitted a graduate
student with out the TOFEL" , but the man smiled and told me- I did not say NO. Get me a
GMAT score. So, I talked to Kate- we figured it would be 6-12 months, then admission- so
two years. YUCK!

Maybe it would be easier for you to transfer to a school in Europe. Much easier for
Russian's to get visa's to Europe(many countries don't require a visa for Russians).

Michael

> News wrote:
> > I have a green card here, my girlfriend is from Russia and I am trying to bring her
> > over here before we get married (I don't want to jump into marriage just yet).
> > According to my sources, there is now an official written directive to the US
> > Consulate in Moscow to deny tourist visas to all single women between the ages of 14
> > to 40 (This came from a congressman in California). My understanding is that a green
> > card holder can't sponsor a "fiancée" visa nor will she get a green card if we get
> > married. Is this correct? Any legal ways to get her visa? Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Her only chance would be for a work or student visa in order to get the states at this
> time. The only other alternative is to marry her there and file an I-130 for her,
> which would have a processing time of 4-5 years, however her wait would only be 3
> years because after 3 years she would be eligible for a V Visa (wife of perm resident
> waiting 3 years). It might be quicker for you to apply for citizenship if you qualify,
> as once you are a citizen, this would allow immediate approval of an I-130 petition at
> the moscow consulate, and she could be in the US in 2-3 months as the wife of a US
> citizen. However, i don't know how close you may be to citizenship, so this method
> depends on where you are in your residency. (and this method does not solve your
> current problem either)
>
> alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 20th 2001, 6:18 pm
Alex

The only other alternative is to marry her there
> and file an I-130 for her, which would have a processing time of 4-5 years, however her
> wait would only be 3 years because after 3 years she would be eligible for a V Visa
> (wife of perm resident waiting 3 years).

I am not eligible for the US citizenship for another 3.5 yrs. Why does it take so long
to process I-130? I thought they allocate 14,000 visas per year for the immediate
family (spouse &/or children) of permanent residents? Can the resident alien apply for
a fiancé visa?

Thanks a lot

Old Jan 20th 2001, 6:48 pm
Michael Voight

Alex wrote:
>
>
> I am not eligible for the US citizenship for another 3.5 yrs. Why does it take so long
> to process I-130? I thought they allocate 14,000 visas per year for the immediate
> family (spouse &/or children) of permanent residents? Can the resident alien apply for
> a fiancé visa

If there were 14000 available and you can not immediately get one, then I assume there are
more than 14000 people waiting.

A PR can not apply for a fiance visa.

Michael

Old Jan 21st 2001, 12:22 am
Flashnews

That absoluty bites that we all have to jump thru hoops to get our loved ones to the USA
and impossible for a Tourist Visa!!!!!!!! Land of the Free and home of the Brave!!!!!!!
The system has been used and abused to the point that Consulates are gunshy. I have an
idea....... American citizens should be able to to post a bond and swear under penalties
of purgery that the Law would be obeyed to be able to sponser a loved one or good friend
on a tourist/Visitor Visa. If they would overstay their visa then the American sponsor
would forfeit his/her bond, lose the priveledge to sponser anyone else on a Visitor Visa
and be subject to a fine. The American citizen would report to the INS once his visitor
arrived and when the visitor would leave. Extensions could be granted on an emergency
basis but INS would need to approve to avoid penalties. Why doesnt Congress make this kind
of LAW!!!!!!!! It would help with families who want to visit with parents,brothers,
sisters, In-Laws and Fiancee's a chance to "preview USA (a fiancee would not be eligible
to adjust status on on of these types of visas but give them a good preview and know what
to expect once here on a K-1, K or I-130 Immigrant Visa) The American citizen or Permant
resident alien that signs a visa agreement with the INS, the Consular Officer shall issue
a Visitor Visa............ Congress should have this kind of Law. But there are always
naysayers that would have us make a RUN for the border!!!!!!!

> I do not think there is anyway to get a B1/2 tourist visa for her. Sorry, I've been
> there. My girlfriend has a very good job, lots of education, apartment, car, etc....
> Traveled all over the world and they denied her. Infact, they completely lied to her
> during the process which upsets me and her to this day. On their defense- their are lots
> of illegal alien's that came here on B1 visa's and disappeared. I decided to go with the
> 129F because I am an american. We looked at the educational route and time was the
> killer. She had not taken the TOFEL or GMAT tests for admission. I felt like it would
> probably take a year. My school(I've got contacts at the local university) said- "we've
> never admitted a graduate student with out the TOFEL" , but the man smiled and told me-
> I did not say NO. Get me a GMAT score. So, I talked to Kate- we figured it would be 6-12
> months, then admission- so two years. YUCK!
>
> Maybe it would be easier for you to transfer to a school in Europe. Much easier for
> Russian's to get visa's to Europe(many countries don't require a visa for Russians).
>
> Michael
>

> > News wrote:
> > > I have a green card here, my girlfriend is from Russia and I am trying
to
> > > bring her over here before we get married (I don't want to jump into marriage just
> > > yet). According to my sources, there is now an official written directive to the US
> > > Consulate in Moscow to deny tourist visas
to all
> > > single women between the ages of 14 to 40 (This came from a
congressman in
> > > California). My understanding is that a green card holder can't
sponsor a
> > > "fiancée" visa nor will she get a green card if we get married. Is
this
> > > correct? Any legal ways to get her visa? Any help would be
appreciated.
> >
> > Her only chance would be for a work or student visa in order to get the states at this
> > time. The only other alternative is to marry her there and file an I-130 for her,
> > which would have a processing time of 4-5 years, however her wait would only be 3
> > years because after 3 years she would be eligible for a V Visa (wife of perm resident
> > waiting 3 years). It might be quicker for you to apply for citizenship if you qualify,
> > as once you are a citizen, this would allow immediate approval of an I-130 petition at
> > the moscow consulate, and she could be in the US in 2-3 months as the wife of a US
> > citizen. However, i don't know how close you may be to citizenship, so this method
> > depends on where you are in your residency. (and this method does not solve your
> > current problem either)
> >
> > alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 21st 2001, 12:41 am
Michael Voight

Flashnews wrote:
>
> That absoluty bites that we all have to jump thru hoops to get our loved ones to the USA
> and impossible for a Tourist Visa!!!!!!!! Land of the Free and home of the Brave!!!!!!!
> The system has been used and abused to the point that Consulates are gunshy. I have an
> idea....... American citizens should be able to to post a bond and swear under penalties
> of purgery that the Law would be obeyed to be able to sponser a loved one or good friend
> on a tourist/Visitor Visa.

Great, but how does this help the poster. The poster who started this thread is not an
American Citizen. Also, how does this help some poor guy looking to bring his overseas
love he met through an agency? I am sure many will agree that a lot of these people need
protection. There are risk enough with a fiance visa, but now you want him to risk a bit
for someone he hasn't met yet? What you have described sounds like more work for an
overworked and inefficient INS. If they can't do what they currently are supposed to do,
why wo we want to keep adding task. Instead of fixing the current INS problems, Congress
has saw fit to add more paperwork. Now, if you want to get a spouse into the country
while waiting on I-130 to get processed, you have to now go and fill out paperwork for a
new K visa.

Michael

Old Jan 21st 2001, 12:48 am
scotty215

>
> >
> > I am not eligible for the US citizenship for another 3.5 yrs. Why
does it
> > take so long to process I-130? I thought they allocate 14,000 visas
per year
> > for the immediate family (spouse &/or children) of permanent
residents? Can
> > the resident alien apply for a fiancé visa
>
> If there were 14000 available and you can not immediately get one,
then
> I assume there are more than 14000 people waiting.
>
> A PR can not apply for a fiance visa.
>
> Michael That absoluty bites that we all have to jump thru hoops to get our
loved ones to the USA and impossible for a Tourist Visa!!!!!!!! Land of the Free and home
of the Brave!!!!!!! The system has been used and abused to the point that Consulates are
gunshy. I have an idea....... American citizens should be able to to post a bond and swear
under penalties of purgery that the Law would be obeyed to be able to sponser a loved one
or good friend on a tourist/Visitor Visa. If they would overstay their visa then the
American sponsor would forfeit his/her bond, lose the priveledge to sponser anyone else on
a Visitor Visa and be subject to a fine. The American citizen would report to the INS once
his visitor arrived and when the visitor would leave. Extensions could be granted on an
emergency basis but INS would need to approve to avoid penalties. Why doesnt Congress make
this kind of LAW!!!!!!!! It would help with families who want to visit with
parents,brothers, sisters, In-Laws and Fiancee's a chance to "preview USA (a fiancee would
not be eligible to adjust status on on of these types of visas but give them a good
preview and know what to expect once here on a K- 1, K or I-130 Immigrant Visa) The
American citizen or Permant resident alien that signs a visa agreement with the INS, the
Consular Officer shall issue a Visitor Visa............ Congress should have this kind of
Law. But there are always naysayers that would have us make a RUN for the border!!!!!!!

Old Jan 21st 2001, 1:00 am
Alvena Ferreira

> The only other alternative is to marry her there
> > and file an I-130 for her, which would have a processing time of 4-5 years, however
> > her wait would only be 3 years because after 3 years she would be eligible for a V
> > Visa (wife of perm resident waiting 3 years).
>
Alex wrote:
> I am not eligible for the US citizenship for another 3.5 yrs. Why does it take so long
> to process I-130? I thought they allocate 14,000 visas per year for the immediate
> family (spouse &/or children) of permanent residents? Can the resident alien apply for
> a fiancé visa?
>
No, the fiance visa is only for US citizens. They do allocate a lot of visas for family
members of permanent residents, but there is a huge backlog...obviously, we have a lot of
residents who want their family with them in the US. You can see the latest waiting times
for I-130's in the visa bulletin here: http://travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html

Old Jan 21st 2001, 1:06 am
Alvena Ferreira

Flashnews wrote:
> Why doesnt Congress make this kind of LAW!!!!!!!!

Probably owing to the fact that Congress is made up of US citizens and represents US
citizens, most likely. Bear in mind, the voters (ie, citizens) are the ones that
Congress represents. I suspect that the average US citizen is not gung ho on immigration
issues. A lot of people may see immigrants as a threat to their jobs (perhaps rightly
so, perhaps not).

Speaking as a citizen, I can see some justification for limits and controls on
immigration. Obviously not everyone's needs will be met. However, the needs of the
citizens must come first, IMHO. That's necessary in order to properly serve the citizenry
of the country. The way our government works is that the citizenry tells the congress what
they want done, and congress (supposedly) does it. Obviously the citizens want the
controls. Once you become a citizen, you will have a voice. At some point in time, we may
have enough immigrant citizens that the laws are changed.

Old Jan 21st 2001, 1:11 am
Grinch

| That absoluty bites that we all have to jump thru hoops to get our loved ones to the USA
| and impossible for a Tourist Visa!!!!!!!! Land of the Free and home of the Brave!!!!!!!
| The system has been used and abused to the point that Consulates are gunshy. I have an
| idea....... American citizens should be able to to post a bond and swear under penalties
| of purgery that the Law would be obeyed to be able to sponser a loved one or good friend
on
| a tourist/Visitor Visa. If they would overstay their visa then the
American
| sponsor would forfeit his/her bond, lose the priveledge to sponser anyone else on a
| Visitor Visa and be subject to a fine. The American citizen
would
| report to the INS once his visitor arrived and when the visitor would
leave.
| Extensions could be granted on an emergency basis but INS would need to approve to avoid
| penalties. Why doesnt Congress make this kind of LAW

How big a bond and how big a fine? I have read that some aliens will pay enormous sums of
money just to get into the country. Many have died in the attempt. The bond and the fine
would have to big enough to deter someone just doing it, paying the fine and losing the
bond that is of course put up by the alien. Who would police this? The INS? They can't
manage what they do now. Of course you would have to go through numerous legal battles to
actually get the bond and the fine paid. These are just a few of the reasons as to why
Congress would not even consider this.

Grinch

Old Jan 21st 2001, 5:23 am
paulgani

Consider that each year, at least several thousand Chinese are willing to pay snakeheads
upwards to $50,000 to be smuggled into the U.S. illegally. No doubt, they would be willing
to pay even more to come legally (although admittedly, they don't have the cash up front -
they work in slavelike conditions in sweatshops or restaurants for 3-7 years, after which
they pay off their debt they can continue to work illegally and finally send money home).

So, if you set a reasonable bond of say, $5,000, the U.S. would no doubt be flooded by
illegals from China and all over the world who would gladly spend so little for a chance
to make it big in the U.S. Do you doubt that there are not plenty USC who would gladly
"sponsor" a close "friend" for a say, a fee of a couple grand or so?

So, to make your idea work, we'd have to set the bond to something like $100,000. Take a
guess as to how many USC's would be able to come up with that kind of bond?

Paulgani

> That absoluty bites that we all have to jump thru hoops to get our loved ones to the USA
> and impossible for a Tourist Visa!!!!!!!! Land of the Free and home of the Brave!!!!!!!
> The system has been used and abused to the point that Consulates are gunshy. I have an
> idea....... American citizens should be able to to post a bond and swear under penalties
> of purgery that the Law would be obeyed to be able to sponser a loved one or good friend
on
> a tourist/Visitor Visa. If they would overstay their visa then the
American
> sponsor would forfeit his/her bond, lose the priveledge to sponser anyone else on a
> Visitor Visa and be subject to a fine. The American citizen
would
> report to the INS once his visitor arrived and when the visitor would
leave.
> Extensions could be granted on an emergency basis but INS would need to approve to avoid
> penalties. Why doesnt Congress make this kind of LAW!!!!!!!! It would help with families
> who want to visit with parents,brothers, sisters, In-Laws and Fiancee's a chance to
> "preview USA
(a
> fiancee would not be eligible to adjust status on on of these types of
visas
> but give them a good preview and know what to expect once here on a K-1, K or I-130
> Immigrant Visa) The American citizen or Permant resident alien
that
> signs a visa agreement with the INS, the Consular Officer shall issue a Visitor
> Visa............ Congress should have this kind of Law. But there are always naysayers
> that would have us make a RUN for the border!!!!!!!

Old Jan 21st 2001, 6:03 am
Onigiri

So, to make your idea work, we'd have to set the bond to something
> like $100,000. Take a guess as to how many USC's would be able to come up with that kind
> of bond?
>
> Paulgani
>
You are now reaching for the amounts for investor (immigration) visa for Australia, Canada
and USA:something in the US$six figures. As for the practical feasibility of a large bond
like this for a short term visitor's visa, I think this will be a new and exciting
business opportunity for bail bonding companies. The USC need not come up with the total
sum, just the high interest that the Bail Bond company will charge for the length of the
visa: The bonding company borrows from their revolving credit line and lends to the USC
sponsor at a much higher interest rate. This idea of this chain is pie-in-the-sky; but I
like the idea that the local branch of the bail bonds company holds the passport and
ticket and comes to the USC home on the day of the departure of Uncle Dubya. The scene
where two hefty guys grab the uncle and toss him on the back of the minivan and screech
off to the airport can be filmed for cable-TV "Real Life, Real Happenings".

Old Jan 21st 2001, 6:21 am
Rocky Raccoon

Alvena Ferreira wrote:
>
> > Flashnews wrote: Why doesnt Congress make this kind of LAW!!!!!!!!
>
> Probably owing to the fact that Congress is made up of US citizens and represents US
> citizens, most likely. Bear in mind, the voters (ie, citizens) are the ones that
> Congress represents.

Although, ideally, this is how it should be, it isn't. The US Govt represents the big
money spenders, the companies & their lobbyists. Till recently, companies were the only
ones spending money on the VISA issues. Companies benefit by the H1-B VISA not the
immigrant VISA. It doesn't matter to them how many years a Green Card takes. As a matter
of fact, from their perspective, the longer the better.

> I suspect that the average US citizen is not gung ho on immigration issues. A lot of
> people may see immigrants as a threat to their jobs (perhaps rightly so, perhaps not).
>
> Speaking as a citizen, I can see some justification for limits and controls on
> immigration. Obviously not everyone's needs will be met. However, the needs of the
> citizens must come first, IMHO. That's necessary in order to properly serve the
> citizenry of the country. The way our government works is that the citizenry tells the
> congress what they want done, and congress (supposedly) does it. Obviously the citizens
> want the controls. Once you become a citizen, you will have a voice. At some point in
> time, we may have enough immigrant citizens that the laws are changed.

The moment someone becomes a citizen, his needs also change. Unless he is interested in
getting in a relative/girlfriend somebody, he generally loses interest in immigration
issues. As a matter of fact, many of the newly turned citizens/green card holders also
percieve every new person as a threat to his job. I have many a times seen naturalized
citizens/ Green Card Holders writing letters to the San Jose Mercury News campaigning
against H1-B's etc.

--
Rocky

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/rsc.html

Old Jan 21st 2001, 9:58 am
Michael Voight

Onigiri wrote:
>
> In article <[email protected]>,

>
> > So, to make your idea work, we'd have to set the bond to something like $100,000. Take
> > a guess as to how many USC's would be able to come up with that kind of bond?
> >
> > Paulgani
> >
> You are now reaching for the amounts for investor (immigration) visa for Australia,
> Canada and USA:something in the US$six figures. As for the practical feasibility of a
> large bond like this fo

Interesting thought. If I gave my mother-in-law, say $500000, could she move to the US, or
would the government need to know the money came from me and say no?

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.